• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30 second clock

What do you think about the 30 second clock?

• Just Right

Votes: 95 72.0%
  • Too Long

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Too Short

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
Dan,
Have you ever been called for a 30-second violation in an event before?

No; I was told to hurry up one time because I was waiting for wind to die down. Neither I nor the caller knew how long I'd taken. May or may not have been 30.

(That was years ago, when I had no other putt but turbo)

If you're just sitting there waiting on the wind, 30 seconds is a lot of time. If you're scurrying around, doing stuff, 30 seconds can be gone very quickly. If you're waiting on the wind, people are getting bored and pissed. If you're scurrying around, people are interested and fine.

That's what I'm getting from the discussion, anyway. So ... when you're waiting on the wind, you're unlikely to go over your alotted time, but everyone is upset. When you're scurrying about, you're likely to go over your alotted time, but no one is upset.

However, when you're scurrying about, someone might call you on a violation. They'd be a ****, but that doesn't matter to the thrower.

Does that mean I can take all the time I want once a round? Like, 5 minutes?

Or does that mean if I take 30 seconds, someone will call me and I'll have another 30 seconds or it's a penalty?

Asking me that question is interesting.

Ultimately, I want to follow what the correct ruling and procedure is ... so I'd look it up. I'm not sure I know what that is at this moment.

Given that I am just answering off the top of my head right now, I believe that if this happened with me on your card, I'd call the 804.01 violation (30-sec. clock) at some point after 30 seconds. If you then proceeded to take an exhorbitant amount of more time to make your throw (like 5 minutes), then I'd likely believe you were just being a smart-alec and I'd call you for a courtesy violation, and/or report player misconduct under Section 3.3 of Competition Manual, depending upon severity. If someone could enlighten me on the correct procedure, then upon learning it, I'd follow that.

I do agree with JC, though. I'd like to do some preventive officiating first, so the first time I saw you taking too much time, I'd likely quietly tell you after the shot that you're in danger of being warned/stroked for violating the time limit.

It would be rididculous if you could take that much time, but I think it would clear it up if you just got a couple extensions, and were stroked for every excessive time violation.

huh??? C'mon, Dan, I was answering your question. I still believe the current rule is just fine.

And yes, it was ridiculous, but I chose not to point that out in your question to me.

A Ray

If you're just sitting there waiting on the wind, 30 seconds is a lot of time. If you're scurrying around, doing stuff, 30 seconds can be gone very quickly. If you're waiting on the wind, people are getting bored and pissed. If you're scurrying around, people are interested and fine.

That's what I'm getting from the discussion, anyway. So ... when you're waiting on the wind, you're unlikely to go over your alotted time, but everyone is upset. When you're scurrying about, you're likely to go over your alotted time, but no one is upset.

However, when you're scurrying about, someone might call you on a violation. They'd be a ****, but that doesn't matter to the thrower.

Basically. If I'm playing with someone who is occasionally taking longer than 30 seconds to take their shot because they are trying to find their stance, find the line, disc selection, tough lie, etc. I probably won't say anything. However, if they are just standing on the edge of each tee box doing nothing and just waiting for optimal wind, centering their chi, or waiting for gas to pass, etc, and they are doing it repeatedly, I will probably call them on it.

As far as I'm concerned, scurrying around for more than 30 seconds in order to "find your line" or make a disc selection or take a stance, you don't get any benefit of the doubt on excessive time. Particularly if it's becoming habitual over the course of the round or if you're doing it on a lie that is in the fairway and generally unobstructed.

Generally, I don't watch the clock on my groupmates. In order for me to get to the point where I watch the clock and start giving warnings and penalties, it has to happen more than once.

So first throw where a player takes a long time is a freebie since I'm not counting the seconds. I start counting to myself on the next few throws by that player, and speak up the next time the player exceeds 30 seconds on a throw. That's generally a casual warning, depending on how long the player took (i.e. 40 seconds = casual, 1:40 = offiical warning) or how frequently the excessive time is taken (i.e. very next shot = official warning, 10 holes later = casual). From there, the clock is on every single throw for the warned player. Using this "system", I've issued one official time warning in 15 years of playing tournaments and quite a few casual ones. I feel like it's a fair balance between not being a jerk about it and not letting a player get away with rules abuse. I don't want to blindside a player with a warning on the first throw of the day but I don't want to let a player get away with habitually pushing the time limit.

huh??? C'mon, Dan, I was answering your question. I still believe the current rule is just fine.

And yes, it was ridiculous, but I chose not to point that out in your question to me.

A Ray

Well, your answer ended up being "I don't know". So I took that opportunity to advocate limited extensions.

5 minutes may be ridiculous, but 31 seconds may not be.

If you are spending more then 30 seconds you should be forced to let every single person go ahead of you.

I have a few questions about those 30 sec...

When do they start exactly ? I heared that the rule got changed to "as soon as it is your turn to play" ? Others say once you marked your disc, but then you can delay it forever by just not marking.

IMO we should mainly have the rule for putting. Wind can be a important factor and on a windy day it is not fair when 3 people have to putt in the wind and the 4th has the luck that he waitet forever and then he actually found a little wind break and made his putt.

But when driving, there are sometimes crazy lies with mandos and tigth gaps where you really need more than 30 sec to even make up your mind on what line to pick cause they are all risky.

This. And it's why I voted "too long."
30 seconds is a long time, if you sit there and actually count it out. Feels like an eternity. Most people take ~10 seconds to throw once they step up to their lie. They have up to 30 seconds if they're in a tough situation. Taking more time than that is unnecessary.

Seriously, time out 30 seconds right now and tell me you need more than that when executing a shot and I'll tell you that you're wasting my time.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Take a stop watch, and act out a bad lie. You'll be at 30 seconds before your imaginary throw is taken.

This is why I said I'm fine with 30, but would be OK if they made it 40-45, but no more.

To help the discussion, current rules are:

A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
  • The previous player has thrown; and,
  • The player has had a reasonable amount of time to arrive at the disc; and,
  • The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

To help the discussion, current rules are:

A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
  • The previous player has thrown; and,
  • The player has had a reasonable amount of time to arrive at the disc; and,
  • The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

But poor, "I can't throw in the wind", Dan finds those gust so distracting. I have never had to penalize someone for excessive time but I have warned more than a few in tournaments. The putting pumpers are the worst.

Most of the mental work should be done before you even arrive on most shots. Disc selection, shot selection, line, mental calming should all be done as you walk up. When you get to your disc, set yourself and throw.

MJ is a super fast putter because he does all the mental work on his way to the lie and he is a pretty good putter.

I can't actually figure out if this is an elaborate troll by Dan or if he is just really mentally weak.

30 seconds is a great amount because it would be annoying if you had to keep on waiting for someone to take a shot.

MJ is a super fast putter because he does all the mental work on his way to the lie and he is a pretty good putter.

Apparently at least one person has trouble walking and mentally preparing at the same time...

Agreed about the pumpers. I don't think I've ever played with one who could actually make a putt either. All that time to watch the disc not find the basket...:wall:

In my short <3 year career I've never heard of anybody actually being called on this. I did play one tourney where one of the guys told one of the other guys he needed to speed it up a little (yes he was definitely talking more than 30 seconds) but that's about it. Most tourneys I've played in there's usually somewhat of a wait so it's never been an issue.

But when driving, there are sometimes crazy lies with mandos and tigth gaps where you really need more than 30 sec to even make up your mind on what line to pick cause they are all risky.

There's nothing stopping a player from at least starting the process of "making up their mind" about line and disc before it is their turn to throw. There really is no reason that any player, particularly on the tee, shouldn't be able to step up and be ready to throw almost immediately after the previous player has thrown and cleared the tee.

Maybe if you're on the box first you might not be 100% ready to just step up and throw, but it still shouldn't take you 30 seconds to get ready and throw. There's the time walking up to the tee, putting bags down, getting scores from the previous hole written down, etc, not to mention possibly having to wait on the group in front to finish up...should be ample time to think and make decisions before the 30 second clock even starts.

And can we all agree that wind and natural factors during a round really shouldn't qualify as "distractions"? Wind blows. It's a part of the game. If the first guy steps up in calm, but then it gusts for your throw, that's a bad break. It's not a distraction that allows you to just sit and wait it out, though.

In my short <3 year career I've never heard of anybody actually being called on this. I did play one tourney where one of the guys told one of the other guys he needed to speed it up a little (yes he was definitely talking more than 30 seconds) but that's about it. Most tourneys I've played in there's usually somewhat of a wait so it's never been an issue.

And I'd bet those waits are at least partially caused by slow play. Sure, there are lost discs and players making bad throws and strokes piling up as well, but just as often it's just general slow (or so as to not offend the slow players, we call it "deliberate") play.

Every area has their usual culprits and it usually isn't hard to predict that the group containing one or more notoriously "deliberate" players will end up with open space in front of them and a bit of a backup behind them.

As with other rules, more awareness and better enforcement (and I don't mean rigorous, hard-line enforcement either) would make a lot of so-called "problems" with some rules go away. If it's enforced more, players are forced to comply and get better at doing so.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me but doesn't it say 30 seconds uninterrupted? I feel like that is worth mentioning . If a group or another group is talking behind me it sometimes takes me a bit longer to focus on my shot and usually I try to walk off the tee so they get the picture if I get really distracted and assume my 30 seconds then restarts. Is this right?

I don't have the rulebook in front of me but doesn't it say 30 seconds uninterrupted? I feel like that is worth mentioning . If a group or another group is talking behind me it sometimes takes me a bit longer to focus on my shot and usually I try to walk off the tee so they get the picture if I get really distracted and assume my 30 seconds then restarts. Is this right?

No but you can ask people to quiet down at the tee. Most groups would not penalize you for walking off.....but if it happened on every tee and you would only throw when it was quiet as a funeral, well then you would get a warning

Mental toughness folks. You don't need it to be quiet to make a shot. You just need to focus.