• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Farewell to Turtlecreek DGC

It was honestly some of the worst etiquette I have ever seen. AND he was teaching kids that nonsense.

I root against him at all times since.

Ok I guess I have to share my Tcreek story. The first tourney I ever played was there. My friends and I had set up a couple practice baskets and were throwing back and forth. I was walking towards one of my discs when one of them throws a high flexing putter shot and looked down to grab another disc. He never saw it flex back and couldnt warn me before it slammed into the side of a face. Hit me right in the corner of the eye socket. Its a damn good thing I wear glasses or I might have lost an eye. Also lucky it was a putter... So I got to play my first tourney with a nearly swollen shut eye...:thmbup:...:\

...anybody have a good story about Turtlecreek? lol

Last edited:
OK, I'll play...
Remember playing one evening there at sunset during a solar eclipse in 2014,
...and another time when I kicked all the way right in the woods to the creek bend on hole 14, and throwing a miracle shot through the jungle to tap in for a three,
...and the time I played it safe the whole way on a 47 degree day in May with winds gusting in the 30mph range, when everyone else in MPG went for big shots (won the division in the GCFDA/BID event that year, over some pretty good guys). I finished with the 6th lowest score out of 135 players in the event (first time I really felt like I'd learned how to play this game!),
...then I've also shot really poorly there,
...but I also once carded threes on both holes 11 & 18 in the same round... on a league night,
...and, looking back over it, my review of the course still holds up.
Sorry to see it go, but hoping we can help do it right at a new course near there!

I remember this onE timE when I played TurtlE Creek with a bunch of TEAM members, and Johne McCray was therE, and hE had a group of 10-12. And hE wouldn't let anyonE play through. And thE group just kept getting larger. I think by thE end of it, hE had about 16 people on onE card. A-holE...

HE just took over thE entirE coursE becausE Johne thought that hE was better than anyonE elsE on that particular day.

F'ing Johne McCray...

My favorite memory of that course is from a temp hole set up most years for the Turtlecreek Open: The picnic table hole.

For those of you who haven't seen it, the hole has an island green which begins about 150' from the tee and is about 80' deep, but it's only 20' wide. At the very back of the island is a picnic basket with the basket sitting on top.

I never played that hole without my card laughing at one of our misfortunes. I heard of a player taking a 30 on the hole from refusing to layup.

It's killing me that I haven't played a round this year. I'm going to try to make it down to the tourney on Sunday.

Memories

My son and I started playing together at Turtlecreek. I have played more rounds at that course than I have at any other and it holds lots of great memories.

The 2009 Turtlecreek Open was my first PDGA tournament, my first PDGA win (albeit Rec), and I had my first ever ace - tournament or otherwise - on the next to last hole of the day on #8. It was the only ace that day so I got the entire ace pot of around $200. Needless to say, that experience fueled the fire that is my current addiction to the game.
At the 2010 tourney I moved to Advanced Masters and had one of my best tournament days ever. I threw my first 1000-rated PDGA round and would have tied for first in Open. In fact, the only player in the entire field to have a better score for the day was my son, who won Advanced. I also won the division in 2011 (Ricky Wysocki won Open that year) and was able to three-peat in 2012.
It was always a very popular tournament, so to satisfy demand the TD added what few temp holes he could given the limited area there was to work with (resulting in weirdness like the picnic table hole). Finally in 2015 it was replaced by a split-field tournament (Turtlecreek and I believe Monroe) where all divisions played rounds at each course. That was the tournament JohnE attended - he and Dutch Napier tied for fifth.

For me, two things will stay with me that made Turtlecreek unique. One is the contrast between the first part of the course (wide open with frequent high winds) and the second part (very wooded with no two tee shots the same). The other is its next-door neighbor - the RC plane airstrip with the near constant buzz on the weekends of planes flying overhead.

These neighbors were responsible for the scariest/strangest disc golf experience of my life. We (my son, his friend, and I) had just started walking up the fairway after teeing off on 6 when one of the planes crash-landed right behind us, missing my son's head by a couple of feet in the process. The plane landed hard on its belly and we walked over to it to survey the damage and in general to check it out. As we approached we noticed that the plastic cockpit cover had popped off, revealing the "pilot" - a Winnie-the-Pooh character attached to the seat.

I'm gonna miss you, Turtle.

We were there once when the sky diving school decided to make an appearance. Had to been at least 30 land in the park along 18's fairway.

My buds and I are going to try to get up there in the next few weeks for one last round. Nothing spectacular about the course but it was fun to play every now and then.

Had 75 turnout on a... lets say less than ideal weather day, lol. Not bad for such short notice. I was unable to attend because of car problems but would like to thank any of you that made it up there to show support for DG in our area...:thmbup:

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/35163

Had 75 turnout on a... lets say less than ideal weather day, lol. Not bad for such short notice. I was unable to attend because of car problems but would like to thank any of you that made it up there to show support for DG in our area...:thmbup:

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/35163

I planned on hitting it up but burned out my arm the day before at the Belmont BYOP. I'll have to get out there to play it before it's pulled.

so is there real planning to re-locate to Armco nearby, or is that just wishful thinking?

At this point its wishful thinking but with the support they got Sunday, i'd say its more likely than it was before.

Played Turtle Creek today. I had a great time I know it's not there yet but my friend and I were the only ones there the while time and just knowing what's coming I had kind if a ghost town feeling, it's sad but I had fun and I'm going to try and get back if I can before they rip it from the earth.