• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A new shot I've learned.

I've heard the term scooby refer to a sidearm shot held like a thumber(upside down).

So are we coining the new terms BH Scooby and FH Scooby?

I recently played with a guy and he would throw these upside down super high spike hyzers that would go about as far and have a similar left, right flip action as a thumber. When later describing these shots to an advanced player he was like "Dude that's a freaking scooby bra.

I think a grenade is different in that you keep it level (not hyzered or anhyzered) and the disc goes straight where you aim, flips up to vertical, and drops straight down, very accurate like a...guess what...you got it...a grenade.

upside down super high spike hyzers

One of the guys I play with every day does this on 11 at the Z. I do a regular spike hyzer on this hole.

Scooby shot? That is what peeps in Texas call it.

That's what it's called. Texas has more parks and players than any other country in this nation :p. So we trump all other names. It's official, in the air, or on the ground... this is known as the Scooby. :popcorn:

sounds like a scoobie to me.

Nope. Grip a thumber (actually technically a hook thumber) Turn the disc rightside up and throw a backhand motion. Not really sure what it is called, but this is a rightside up throw that at least Hysell is talking about. I've goofed around with it 2-3 times and on one of the first throws I got about 325 out of it...

A scooby is a backhand where you set up for a backhand but the disc is upside down, but your hand is in a fan/control grip with the thumb inside the rim and the fan is under the disc on the normal top of the disc.

You can also throw a forehand scooby. Scooby as in the dog... as in you are throwing a dog dish. :doh:

Then there's the scoober... that's a tomahawk/forehand grip that instead of overhead is thrown upside down starting at the opposite shoulder...

I agree. Reading the OP, seems kind of like a regular RHBH with the disc upside-down...think I'm missing something. :confused:

You are but that's my fault. The disc isn't upside down. It's just a regular old backhand shot with a thumber grip. Flies the same and everything.

Nope. Grip a thumber (actually technically a hook thumber) Turn the disc rightside up and throw a backhand motion. Not really sure what it is called, but this is a rightside up throw that at least Hysell is talking about. I've goofed around with it 2-3 times and on one of the first throws I got about 325 out of it...

A scooby is a backhand where you set up for a backhand but the disc is upside down, but your hand is in a fan/control grip with the thumb inside the rim and the fan is under the disc on the normal top of the disc.

You can also throw a forehand scooby. Scooby as in the dog... as in you are throwing a dog dish. :doh:

Then there's the scoober... that's a tomahawk/forehand grip that instead of overhead is thrown upside down starting at the opposite shoulder...

This guys got it. First few times I tried it I would let go too early and throw it straight into the ground 20 feet out. Now that I've got the release down I'm getting em out over 300. It's amazing how straight I'm getting some of the overstable drivers. So far the only real use for it I've found is when you're hugging trees to your right there's no room to throw a regular backhand. It hurts if you don't follow through very well though.

I'll have to try to get some video of this one guy I know who has the most unique (and inconsistent/unreliable, but it's all he knows and refuses to learn other techniques) shot I've ever seen. I played in a tourney with him, and literally everyone on the card with him both rounds (and other cards who passed when he was shooting) remarked on his technique, asked what he called it, and questioned why he didn't throw like "a normal person." I couldn't even begin to describe it; it's that weird!

Scoober = sidearm grip, backhand throwing motion.

It is the same throw motion and flight path as the OP describes here, but the grip is different.

Scott is really unhelpful when he talks about the grenade shot.

he's all "any disc at all works, who care what you use!" and all "it goes straight up and down!"

And then I try it and it's like a flailing pig jerking around in all directions and ending up ANYTHING but straight in front of me.

\/\/

Sounds like your describing a grenade...
Grenade is a lot different (at least how I think of it). Grenade's upside down grip and the arm arc before the release is over your head (almost 90deg to reg motion)... it does a parabola and usually ends as a roller.

No need for all these people to pop in and say it's a scooby when it's obviously not. If it was a damn scooby why the hell would I have to ask what it is? Maybe some of these people should be asking what a mother****ing scooby is. :|

One of the guys I play with every day does this on 11 at the Z. I do a regular spike hyzer on this hole.
That's what it's called. Texas has more parks and players than any other country in this nation :p. So we trump all other names. It's official, in the air, or on the ground... this is known as the Scooby. :popcorn:

I go low CFR gator skip on 11 at the Z. Yes, scooby. Could work great there. Never tried it.

No need for all these people to pop in and say it's a scooby when it's obviously not. If it was a damn scooby why the hell would I have to ask what it is? Maybe some of these people should be asking what a mother****ing scooby is. :|
You are asking what the shot is called, or if it even has a name, and you obviously know quite a bit about DG... seriously, how are people supposed to know what you know and don't know... then you get pissed off when people aren't interpreting your text description of it the way you intended. Pictures are good, videos are better. Text descriptions of physical concepts can be difficult.

But I have a pretty good idea of what you are describing, its basically level backhand thumber. When you take an actual thumber grip, it is obvious how you throw this backhand. I may have to try it sometime.

Latest posts