• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A rules question

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Why do we have a rule that a shot counts if any part of the basket supports the disc except the top? That makes no sense.

Your right it doesn't make sense. Anyways it's harder to get a Disc to "sit" on the basket than to putt it into the basket. Oh well I don't see that rule changing anytime soon.

It's all about the basket, whether you land it in the basket, get it caught in the chains above the basket, or wedge it in the basket. I'm sure they're designing a basket right now that has chains to catch discs without a top that a disc can sit on.

I think it would be because no one would intentionally throw it at the top of the basket. So if it lands on teh top it's an accident.

I'm with ya biker....I've done it more than that. I've talked to people "higher up"...with Innova that are connected with PDGA, and supposedly, they are discussing a rules change that would allow that to count. I don't know what the deal is why they haven't yet, if they are trying to get the legal wording, or what. But EVERY disc golfer I talked with on this agrees....that should be in. After all it is supported by the basket, within the circumference, and not on the ground.

The original target was trees, and the idea of the basket was to replicate a tree. Thats why you can shoot into a basket from all sides. The guess I've always heard is that DROT does not count because on a tree target that shot cannot happen...can't land on top of target painted on a tree.

What if a disc is thrown hard and hits the outside of the basket (where normally it would fall down to the ground), but it gets wedged into the basket? Does that count?

Wedgies count. If it falls out and hits the ground before you retrieve it, it doesn't count.

haha interesting. What if you're about to grab it, it falls out, and you catch it before it hits the ground?

Then your all good. But if I were to hit an Ace like that, I would run like hell to the basket to grab the Disc.

What if a disc is thrown hard and hits the outside of the basket (where normally it would fall down to the ground), but it gets wedged into the basket? Does that count?

That happened to me Saturday. Here is the pic I took after it happened:

Stuckinbasket.jpg

Wedgies count. If it falls out and hits the ground before you retrieve it, it doesn't count.

Not to argue with the all learned Three Putt, but there was a thread on the PDGA site that suggested that once the disc had come to rest the throw was completed so it wouldn't matter if the disc fell. I can't find the post now but the relevent question was about a disc hanging from the top ring. Since the ring isn't a catching device of the basket it isn't a completed hole. But what if a gust of wind came and blew the disc as you were walking up to it. And the answer is that if something moves a disc after it has come to rest it is to be returned to it's previous location. It defined "at rest" to consensus of the group. So it would seem that the idea of getting there before it falls is a myth if it is still moving you wait until it's done if it is done moving the hole is complete. I will look for the post cuz it had the pertinent ruls quoted if you find something that suggests I'm wrong just keep it to yourself. lol j/k

Why do we have a rule that a shot counts if any part of the basket supports the disc except the top? That makes no sense.

Sorry for the double post but it was easier this way lol. The rule states that the hole is complete when the disc is supported by a catching device. The chains and basket are considered catching devices the top is not there to catch the disc.