• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aceless

Mortarus

I've hit a lot of metal, but nothing sticks.
A guy I was throwing with yesterday wasn't sympathetic to my sob story because he's aceless 6 years in.
I'm sure some of you are or were aceless for many years and I'm hoping to hear some inspiring stories about how your dry spells ended.

5.2 years of trying before I hit my first, then 2 more in the following two months.

Hang in there and keep after it!

Hit my first ace in May 2005, it was a lucky kick off a tree. My next one didn't come until September last year. First hole of the tournament, we were trading ace stories while waiting for the start horn. I stepped up and hit the basket dead on.

Both were on hole six of their respective courses!

Ehh I don't worry about trying to get an ace just trying to get birdies. If I get an ace it will be an awesome say just not holding my breath haha.

I'm so close so often now, it's getting rediculous. My home course has 5 holes I'm capable of hitting metal on on any given day... And do, but none have stuck.

I've been playing for a while now and I'm still aceless. I've had at least 20 shots that have hit all chains and bounced out. Sometimes you just have to have luck on your side.

I have had practice aces but I dont count those.

There are a TON of factors that go into this. I hit 2 aces in my first year.

I play the same 9 holes twice during my lunch break every work day. If you do the math, that means that I had a shot at each basket 522 times in that year. That's a total of 4698 drives (and I'm not even including weekend rounds on different courses).

Out of those 4698 drives, I stuck 2. That's .04% ..

Now, you also have to consider the fact that both of those were on 'blind' holes. When I can see the basket, I tend to throw to the base for an easy birdie (in theory). On the 'blind' holes, I'm just throwing somewhere in the general vicinity, and the disc is much more likely to be chain-high.

I believe that it's a mixture of pure numbers (shots taken), with a dash of luck involved. If you're only playing on weekends, then you're a lot less likely to stick an ace. That doesn't mean you suck, just that your discs aren't exposed to the opportunity as often as somebody throwing 200 holes a week.

Where you play matters too. 4 years of hitting baskets and chains but none stayed in. I do not count cubby's, kobies', or whatever his name is.

Aces are nice. and I have 4, but out of those 4, I have 2 each on 2 holes on the 1 course I play about 5 times a week. So, as drickanderson said, it all comes down to how many times you get to throw at those holes, little dash of luck, and the right day. I like having a few aces, but I have a buddy who consistently birdies the same holes that I aced, while I consistently can't birdy them, even tho I aced them. so in reality, what's better? acing a few times w/o consistently being able to birdy, or birdying almost everytime to guarntee shaving a stroke off your overall? I'm to the point now where I would rather be able to consistently get those birds. oh, and my 1st and 4th (most recent) aces were exactly 1 year apart to the day, and almost time, and took me about 3 years to get.

p.s. none of my aces are shots over 230ft. so maybe if you really want that 1st ace, play at a course that has a majority of holes under 300ft, makes it a little more feasible.

Last edited:
What's wrong with you guys?!? I ace EVERY TIME I THROW...if fart is another word for ace...and yes, I seem to always play alone...dunno why.

My aces started coming as soon as I learned how to drive well with a putter. Having some 250-300' holes at my home course doesn't hurt either :p

I'm aceless and I started in April of 04. I supposed if you count from the very first time I played an on-the-fly-designed object course rather than when I actually started playing real courses I'm up to 17-18 years without an ace. Of course there's 10 years that I didn't play at all in there.

Ah this thread has helped to put my lack of an ace into perspective... I've probably played 70 rounds of golf in about 10 months and don't have an ace to my name. My buddy does - but he's played probably closer to 200 rounds in the same amount of time.

My aces started coming as soon as I learned how to drive well with a putter. Having some 250-300' holes at my home course doesn't hurt either :p

I have to agree with you. My second ace was on a 159ft hole, using my putter.

The other thing I noticed was, both my aces happened when I was just trying to park my disc near the basket, and I wasn't trying to go for an ace, I was just trying to make a good shot.

When you come up to a short hole, or an ace able hole, don't try for the ace, just try to get close , and you might get lucky.

I'm Aceless for the better part of a decade now. However, I play many different, and mostly pretty tricky courses. I haven't been to the same course twice in a row in a few years. Numerous metal hits though. I've actually had a disc hit basket 3 times before flopping back out onto the ground.

Latest posts