• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aces: Hyzers Vs Straight Shots

my 6 were two mild hyzers (basically straight), two flexers, and two anny's.

if anyone is keeping score...

3 hyzers tow flat. What I really want is a thumb and tommy. I've hit chains with both but never stuck it.

Unfortunately I only have one ace, thus far, and it was on a straight shot. I have been rather close on many other occasions and all were with a straight shot.

There is but the basket is only at 204' the beginning of the parking lot is about is a good 40-50ft behind the hole. So if you put it in the parking lot then you look reaaaallly silly.

Basically to get the parking lot you have to take a "He-Man" rip or have a really really unlucky skip. Which is why I really don't mind the hyzers as I do everyone throwing wraiths, bosses, destroyers, nukes etc. on the hole. They're just meathooks at that range.

Well, then that pic is very deceiving. It's hard to tell how much space is in between the basket and the lot. I would have guessed about 5'-10' at the most. Also, taking into account that the hole is only 204', something does not add up. I guess I need to get out there and play it!

Also, what's wrong with throwing the big meathook discs? Any player should throw whatever is comfortable in the hand + whatever the player thinks will give them the best opportunity to place the disc as close to (or in) the basket.

I don't "Go for the ace." I go for the birdie. The 3 aces I've gotten have all been complete accidents. They've also all been between 260 and 300 feet.

For me, they've all happened where I've tried to have the disc fade in right at the basket but threw it a little too high. I would think that this would be more common than throwing straight at it and coming in too high. I typically try harder to avoid that since you wind up further from the basket blowing by straight as opposed to hyzer.

The majority of my aces have been straight on shots or the slightest bit of hyzer. I also have three skip aces that because of their nature were driven straight but the fading angle of which it hit the ground created a hyzer approach into the basket. In all three of those cases there were some quirky ground around the basket that aided in lifting the disc up.

However, as much as I like to go straight at the basket for that ace run, nearly 90 to 95 percent of all my "parked" shots come off of hyzer lines. Basically, when I purposely go for an ace run, I go straight at it. When I want the birdie, I hyzer it in.