• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aiming/release point help, please

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I've been stepping up my field practice which is really helping my game. I can throw 90% of my shots with the intended flight pattern. My biggest problem now is releasing that flight pattern in the proper direction to hit gaps or keep it down the middle of the fairway. In other words I can usually get a fairly straight shot if I want one but it's not always aimed in the right direction. I've been reading on forums about keeping the disk in a straight line from the reach back all the way through release but when I try to do this I often release the disc left of the target. I've found that if pull my elbow right of the release point rather than at it I get a more accurate release but this doesn't seem to match what I'm reading. I do better when I'm pulling around than when I'm pull out (trying to pull disc in a straight line). So if I'm leading with my elbow does my elbow break the plane of pointing straight to the target before release (this works better for me). Anybody have any overhead shots so I can see where the elbow should be point just before, during, and right after release? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Oh and I'm RHBH and can throw drivers a little over 300ft (probably doesn't matter but might as well provide all info.)

The idea is to keep the disc on the line. Your elbow will lead but when it goes forward as far as it can it will start to to the right as your forearm whips forward and your hand rotates around the disc.

Exactly, for back hand if you have the proper formyou will throw where you are aiming...to hyzer and anhyzer you lean back or forward but throw on the same line. Sidearms are a little different I think... it is hard to straight anhyzer without reaching out from your body. but...even though the disc is tipped you are throwing straight out to a point. Most people swing their backhands and dont pull, and chop their sidearms and don't pull.

With proper pull and alignment it comes down to simply the right choice of disc for distance, weather...

do you use a different combination of angles for your run up to achieve different lines?

Example-- (RHBH) Run up goes right to left from the back of the tee pad to the front for a hyzer flip and closed stance actually aiming out slightly left to hit a straight line. Same for big roller shots but with a open stance.

Vise versa for a hyzer shot its a lot easier to run up left to right and throwing straight on a line than it is running up like above or even directly head on and pulling the disc out to the right.

To put it simply-- aim with the body for most success.

do you use a different combination of angles for your run up to achieve different lines?

Example-- (RHBH) Run up goes right to left from the back of the tee pad to the front for a hyzer flip and closed stance actually aiming out slightly left to hit a straight line. Same for big roller shots but with a open stance.

Vise versa for a hyzer shot its a lot easier to run up left to right and throwing straight on a line than it is running up like above or even directly head on and pulling the disc out to the right.

To put it simply-- aim with the body for most success.

Interesting, no I don't really change my run up that much for different lines. I try to release flat most of the time and pick the disc to match the line I want. When I do hyzer flip, anny ,or hyzer my run up is still the same I just angle the outside edge of the disc up or down as necessary. I'm trying to reduce variables as much a possible for now.

Often your run-up/x-step are not on the line you think they are. The last step of an x-step, when you place your plant foot, is actually at an angle, and can cause problems if you over think your release lines. Best to determine what your brain thinks vs. the actual result. Hence if you find yourself consistently throwing left of the target, simply find another target so you're aiming further right.

Interesting, no I don't really change my run up that much for different lines. I try to release flat most of the time and pick the disc to match the line I want. When I do hyzer flip, anny ,or hyzer my run up is still the same I just angle the outside edge of the disc up or down as necessary. I'm trying to reduce variables as much a possible for now.

I did that at first-- then this brought my game to a whole new level:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/aiming.shtml

and this cut touches on it from another article linked over at DGR.

Two: Run-Up
This is the part where you need to be coordinated, smooth, and somewhat rhythmic. Some players even take a running start before going into the classic run-up. I don't do this, nor do I recommend it, because I get out of control when I try it. For some people, though, it does help them get a rhythm. When I am feeling particularly out of rhythm, or unsure of a drive, I will bounce on the balls of my feet or shuffle my feet a little bit to get my rhythm before I start my run-up.

I have heard the proper run-up called a 3-step run-up, or X-step run-up, or Scissor-step run-up. They all refer to the same steps.

The 3-step run-up is really all about proper weight distribution and leverage to generate more momentum and power, and allowing for a proper pull back of the disc to maximize disc speed upon release. Being in control and balanced will also give you accuracy.

Start at the back of the tee pad. Whether you stand toward the middle, or right, or left will depend upon which way you want the disc to fly. You will learn this with experience. If you stand on the bottom right side, and make your run up across the tee pad and finish on the top left of the tee pad, it is a little easier to turn the disc over. Likewise, if you start at the bottom left, and make your run up across the tee pad and finish on the top right, it is a little easier to throw big hyzer. Straight run up makes straight shots a little easier. You can also do combinations of run up angle and the angle you release in order to accomplish different throws. For instance, I like to throw what I call a "straight hyzer" shot. I take a "turn over" angle on my run up, starting from bottom right and finishing at top left, but instead of throwing anhyzer angle, I release the disc with a little hyzer. In this way the disc flies very flat in a straight line with good distance. You will figure all this out in time as you experiment. Stand perpendicular to the basket/fairway, at the back of the tee pad. Your weight should be balanced between both of your feet. Your right foot should be closer to the basket than your left. Toes pointing 90 degrees away from basket or fairway. People with longer legs may have to actually stand off the back of the tee pad. You are going to take three steps and release. The smoother and more fluid (almost rhythmic) you can become at this, the better. Another thing to keep in mind... don't throw as hard as you can. Most good golfers will agree, best results are achieved when you throw at about 80% strength. Your accuracy is better and, believe it or not, your average distance is better too.

The first step is your right. Step outward toward the basket at about a 45 degree angle with your right foot. As you step, shift your weight onto your right foot. This can be a big or small step depending on what is comfortable. Keep your eye on your target as you make this step. Start to lift your disc to your chest height.

Second step is your left. You need to step your left foot behind and past your right foot. You also need to turn so your left foot points behind you, in the direction of your pull back, opposite the direction of the basket/fairway. This will cause your legs, hips, back and shoulders to swivel. This is a good thing. As you swivel, you will need to execute your proper pull back of the disc and you will feel the natural shifting of your weight onto your left foot. In order to do a proper pull back, you will need to rotate your head with your shoulders, thus taking your eyes off your target. That's ok, you already knew where you planned to throw when you started this. You should now be reaching backward with the disc, with your back turned to the basket/fairway.

Third step is the right again. You accelerate as you go through this step and release. Allow your momentum to shift your weight toward the basket. Lift your right foot and move it forward. Swivel back around toward the basket. Your plan is to plant your right foot toward the front of the tee pad and release the disc. The swivel starts with your left foot, moves through your legs, hips, back and shoulders, the disc is already moving across your chest as you start to plant your right foot. Shift your weight to your right, release, and allow yourself to follow through. The follow through should end with your chest pointing down the fairway and your right hand palm up, arm straight behind you.

Last edited:
I've improved this recently thanks to tips from Simon and Avery's clinic.

Keep your eye on the target. Unless you're throwing for maximum distance don't turn your head completely away from the target, keep it in the corner of your vision during reach back.

During your set up routine, pick a point in space in front of your body along the intended pull line/flight path and hit it.