• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] air, blizzard, lite

money 21

* Ace Member *
yes talking 150 class plastic. If there is a tread already please join this to it.
recently i switched to lighter 150 class plastic for my driver following a pinched nerve in my neck. because i am a plastic hoarder i had several disc in the basement bins to choose from, but thought i would start a tread about the 150 class to answer questions like were to buy, what molds are offered, which plastic holds up the best.

I enjoy the innova starlite, 400g and air from prodigy the most.

Question - aside from MVP, are there any manufacturers offering air discs that are specifically devoid of bubbles in the outer rim? If I remember correctly, early Blizzard had the bubbles in the flight plate, and DC/Trilogy may have made some claim about improved durability.

I think Starlite is one of these, and I would say that Trillogy ones I've tried are better. I had an air King that was a great OH disc. Almost flew like an Epic.

Unfortunately, Innova's quality control on Blizzard plastic went to the dogs in recent months. And I mean that semi-literally: the outer rim of some of these discs look and feel like a dog chewed on the rims.

I have three Starlite discs: Valkyrie, Boss, and Tern. The Valk flies pretty much like a Valk. The Boss is flippy and inconsistent, but I could throw that thing longer than any other disc I have.

The Starlite Tern, however, felt awful in my hand... by that, I mean the plastic felt awful. And that disc did not fly like a Tern to me. The Starlite Tern experience killed my desire to try any more Starlite discs.

I once felt a River and Saint in the Air plastic (whatever they call it), and that plastic felt bad, too, so I didn't try either of those discs.

Last edited:
the latest run of zlite from discraft was better then earlier runs. i have a 158 crank ss that you can't see or feel any bubbles in. also got 2 lucid air trespasses from a tourney a couple months ago that are 156 and you can see a little bit of the bubbles but can't feel any. the trespasses are more stable then heavier one i have thrown and the crank ss flies like my ti one does.

I have tried throwing a fair number of 150 class discs in the past, but generally found them to be more temperamental than heavier discs. Air currents push them around more easily, and normal disc wear and tear often leads to more significant changes in their flights compared to heavier discs. Also, I play wooded courses most often, and place more of a premium on accuracy than distance. And, I am not so terrible at getting adequate distance with my 167+ gm drivers and 173+ gm midranges and putters. Therefore, 150 class discs are just not on my radar right now.

Oh. Also, I recall thinking that the Latitude Opto Air discs and Discraft zlite discs were rather bland looking - the colors looked sort of washed out. When looking at them, I would find myself making comparisons to skim milk with its light blue label and watered down taste. If that works for some, then great, but I am an unabashed heavier disc snob. No skim milk discs for me.:D

Just stay away from the EDGE lite Innova discs these are discs from 130 grams to 140 grams only and the wind takes them bad especially the Pole Cat or the just plain lighter Sonic's from Innova anything under 140 grams.

When I was a 150 class thrower, my drivers of choice were the trio of AIR Saint Pro, AIR Saint and AIR Hatchet. The latest runs (<1 year old) looked and felt nice, with the AIR mostly in the flight plate and solid, durable rims.

I've also thrown the Trilogy's "Easy to Use" discs. While not AIR plastic, the DD Breakout and Lat64 Jade are decently stable 150 class fliers that wear nicely...

Question - aside from MVP, are there any manufacturers offering air discs that are specifically devoid of bubbles in the outer rim? If I remember correctly, early Blizzard had the bubbles in the flight plate, and DC/Trilogy may have made some claim about improved durability.

Innova needs to go back to bubbles in the flight plate rather than the rim. It changes the whole flight of the disc (for the better). When Innova puts bubbles in the rim the discs suck.

The best flying blizzard discs I've seen had bubbles in the flight plate.

Unfortunately, Innova's quality control on Blizzard plastic went to the dogs in recent months. And I mean that semi-literally: the outer rim of some of these discs look and feel like a dog chewed on the rims.

I have three Starlite discs: Valkyrie, Boss, and Tern. The Valk flies pretty much like a Valk. The Boss is flippy and inconsistent, but I could throw that thing longer than any other disc I have.

The Starlite Tern, however, felt awful in my hand... by that, I mean the plastic felt awful. And that disc did not fly like a Tern to me. The Starlite Tern experience killed my desire to try any more Starlite discs.

I once felt a River and Saint in the Air plastic (whatever they call it), and that plastic felt bad, too, so I didn't try either of those discs.

I agree with all of this. Recent blizzard discs are unthrowable junk. They look like compresses styrofoam and aren't durable at all. Starlite has been a disappointment for me. I had a decent Tern, but the Boss I tried was SUUUUPPPEEERRR understable. Even a half throw would send it turning and burning.

When I was a 150 class thrower, my drivers of choice were the trio of AIR Saint Pro, AIR Saint and AIR Hatchet. The latest runs (<1 year old) looked and felt nice, with the AIR mostly in the flight plate and solid, durable rims.

I've also thrown the Trilogy's "Easy to Use" discs. While not AIR plastic, the DD Breakout and Lat64 Jade are decently stable 150 class fliers that wear nicely...

the dd break out is amazing reminds me of a river. also like the diamond for a turnover fairway.

I also have 150 class Champion discs... certainly the longest lasting.

Otherwise it seems to be disc per disc.. for instance, my starlite Teebirds, yea.. they're Teebirds.

I threw drivers in the 150s for years - Valks, Teebirds, Leopards. Switched to heavier drivers for a while, but now I'm back to 150s and loving it. Lighter drivers are so much easier on creaky old joints, especially when I throw sidearm.

Currently throwing Neutron Wave, Neutron Vanish, and Star Shryke in 150s. MVP Neutron plastic is quite grippy and durable, and I appreciate the manufacturing consistency - when I order a new batch online, the new discs just like the old ones.

Star Shrykes in the 150s seem to have some bubbles in the rim. The bubbles appear as the disc wears, and the disc seems to lose stability fairly quickly.

In general I find that 150s, as long as they mold up the same shape, fly the same flight path as their heavier brethren. Lighter discs do not mask form flaws as well as heavier discs, so you do need clean form to throw 150s well.

Blizzard absolutely is the worst plastic ever produced! I've thrown a good portion of the bubble plastics and most fly fairly true but not rim bubbled Blizzard. Starlight Bosses crush if you get the right one. I have one Blizzard Destroyer that must be a freak because it is stable enough to handle a 400' throw and its 139g! My Lucid Air Trespass is just as OS as my regular Lucid and goes further. My advice is to stay away from the newer Blizzard and try to get regular Champ or Star in lghter weights (I've seen Champ Terns at 158g) if you want lighter discs.

Bubble plastic = garbage, you'd be better off getting proper plastic like 150 class champion, 150 class star etc

The only bubble plastic I bag is an Air River I use as a roller. It's also good for standstill shots in the woods that need to turn.

Latest posts