• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] All things DGA thread.

So I'm digging the Reef. The plastic is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Grippier and actually has some give, unlike my hard Magnet, but not nearly as squishy as my softs, with a similar texture.

I got a 170-172 (the Reef selection wasn't great)

I'd call it a putter Comet. Neutral at low and medium speeds, starts turning if you really rip on it. Doesn't like wind (besides tailwind) or bad form. But it's a super straight and awesome putter. Very point and shoot. Holds most lines at short range, like most neutral stuff will.

Now about the SP Reef... I've heard/read people saying it's super glidey and awesome, and people saying it's slick and brick-ish. Does anyone else have an opinion on it? I want a blue one. To dye a Blooper on.

I use to have an SP Reef back when I putted with APXs. I did not like the way it felt. It was very slick for putting and fan grips. It handled power well off the tee but at the time it wasn't what I was looking for. But If someone is looking for a slower comet I would recommend getting a SP Reef.

A ProLine Reef would really be useful. I think I'm repeating myself. I think I'm repeating myself.

So I'm digging the Reef. Now about the SP Reef... I've heard/read people saying it's super glidey and awesome, and people saying it's slick and brick-ish. Does anyone else have an opinion on it? I want a blue one. To dye a Blooper on.

I'll admit I wasn't patient with it, but it was slick and had no glide.

I agree that it's like a putter Comet too. Using that analogy, SP Reef to me is like a Z Comet. Not as much glide and slicker than base or ESP but still pretty good. I wouldn't say they are any more slicker than any usual Z/Champ type disc. I'd probably prefer the SP Reef for putting b/c it wouldn't be quite as squirrely if the wind kicked up.

You're right. I made that sound bad. It's a Z Reef. I just didn't feel comfortable throwing it with a fan grip. Mine is 173g, but I'd consider a lighter one if they do a run in the new, slightly gummier SP Breaker blend.

This SP Reef discussion inspired me to take mine out for a one disc round at a technical wooded course today. When I powered down a little and used a power grip, I felt very comfortable counting on it to fly straight the whole way. The glide was less than the D-line, but still ample; not a brick. It was great for turning shots from 100' out to 250'+. It was very versatile and easy to control. I parked several from the tee. I just have to work on my hyzer angles and not overpowering it.

It's now bagged, filling a void between my D-line Reef, which gets squirrely for me outside maybe 100' and the Squall, which is tough for me to turn without powering up to the 220-240' range. Thanks for all the Reef talk. Y'all got me to give the SP another run, and now I regret not throwing it more when I first got it.

I picked up a sparkle reef a few weeks ago. I think that it is better at disc golf than I am. It's a little touchy and I need some more practice with it. If I can dial it in I think that it could be a really sweet disc. If nothing else it is a great disc to use when you are working on your form.

The Aftershock thread is dead so I'll ask this here.

I just recently started throwing a 174 SP Squall and love it. On a clean pull I can get it out to 300' with just a little hyzer, it takes a nice smooth turn and even fade. Can someone tell me what I can expect from an Aftershock? No one sells DGA close by and I don't want to order it if there are any inconsistencies any molds either.

The Aftershock is slower than the Squall. A Proline Aftershock ~175 would be a great compliment to the Squall you currently have. Not terribly overstable, but it will hold a hyzer and it's a very controllable disc.

I recommend Proline for the Aftershock. Out of the 12 Aftershocks I have, in varying plastics, only 1 D-Line is a goofball. I have both First Flight and regular production; they are the same.

Welcome to the magical land of DGA!

I also recommend the aftershock, sparkles for stable\overstable, prolines for stable and d lines for understable. I have 6-8 of them and they are very consistent from run to run. I also agree with threevok and don't care for the d lines. The only reason that I would carry one is if I didn't have a beat proline.

While we're on the subject of Proline, I'm going to go ahead and put my request in for a Proline Steady. Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the Steady in Proline plastic? I can't imagine a better point and shoot approach disc in durable ESP-like plastic.

While we're on the subject of Proline, I'm going to go ahead and put my request in for a Proline Steady. Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the Steady in Proline plastic? I can't imagine a better point and shoot approach disc in durable ESP-like plastic.

My thoughts exactly.

I picked up a sparkle reef a few weeks ago. I think that it is better at disc golf than I am. It's a little touchy and I need some more practice with it. If I can dial it in I think that it could be a really sweet disc. If nothing else it is a great disc to use when you are working on your form.

Very Comet-like, good disc.

I would think that they would release more of the D Line ones first, but I also wish for a Pro line one. Super awesome and durable driving/approach putter.

Just got my Proline Aftershock today in the mail, took it to the field and it's going straight in the bag. I've been looking for this disc for years. When given enough height it just glide and fades for days. Perfect compliment to a my Squall.

Two questions:

1) It says First Flight on the stamp, what does that mean?

2) How does the Shockwave compare?
For reference I was throwing the Aftershock about 300' with slight hyzer for flat flip and smooth fade. Squall is the same expect straight to turnover depending on wind and hyzer angle. I can only throw my Drone about 250' tops.

I just picked up a SP Torrent and I am pleasantly surprised by how beefy it is

I was wondering if it was beefy. Had one in my hand yesterday and almost pulled the trigger. They feel great in the hand.

JOEMAMA I believe first flight is always the first run of a disc. Its been too long since I've thrown a Shockwave to give an accurate review.

I love the Steady.

Also I think the Breaker is going to make the bag. I hope it's not Zone stable. I need a slightly stable approach disc. I've been using the Envy and I like the lines I can put it on but it just doesn't hold up in the wind like I need it too. I've been looking for a premium plastic approach disc to sit between my putter and Zone and I'm hoping the Breaker is the answer.

Latest posts