• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] All things DGA thread.

So I was at PIAS recently and in the used bin there was a used Proline Rogue labeled 169 for $7 so I picked it up. It seemed like a good deal and I have been curious to try DGA for a while now and am looking to expand my drivers now that my shorter discs are all set.

The only other driver I have is a 168 Star Wraith that is really beefy. My average distance with it is about 350' but on a good day I can hit 400' more often than not, although it helps to be throwing into the wind. I've only ever seen it turn slightly on full power shots into a 20mph wind and it always fades hard at the end. I'm hoping the Rogue will be less overstable and more versatile on non windy days.

What should I expect? If it helps the stamp on it has been mostly worn off but I can make out that it used to say Frying Pan Pro Am Tournament Stockton, CA 2010 so I'm guessing it's about 4 years old.

Sounds good. I was hoping for something that would pair well with the Wraith and I like having something OS and something US at each speed.

How old is your Star Wraith? Have you messed with Star Orcs or Pro Wraiths? They were both straight and easy to shape for me, with the Orc having less fade.

I have a 163g Star Wraith, which I use when I want a smooth sweeping turn with a small fade finish, but I have to release it on a hyzer. A new 166g Pro Rogue flew almost identical for me. I use a 174g Pro Rogue for long turnovers, and a 172g SP Rogue for turnovers in the wind. They're fun with controllable speed. It might become your longest driver...

Let us know how you like it. I'm interested how a seasoned one will fly.

How are y'all enjoying the Torrent? I have a few but I don't see me bagging one. I can throw my beat hurricanes just as far. They are great discs and go a long ways but I like to keep my bag simple.

Took a little getting used to it to figure out the amount of hyzer needed for certain shots. I'd say it's like a DGA Katana ... throw it flat and it'll flip and go right with a little fade at the end, or put some hyzer on it for a straighter shot.

Definitely fast ... big rim, almost uncomfortably big IMO, but in the proline it has good grip.

When I get a Hurricane flippy enough for Max D I might drop my Torrent, but until then it'll have a slot in my bag.

... still need to try some BH rollers with it, that'd be fun to mess around with for sure :)

So. I was thinking about switching putters. Again. I love my Rhynos, but they don't seem to make it to the basket or fade out too fast on my normal putting stroke. Lots of basket hits. I suppose they might not fit with my putting style. I could just go back to my Magnets or change styles , but... Why not try something new? :p IT'S THE CURSE OF THE EQUIPMENT FORUM.

So someone tell me about the Reef/APX. How deep is it? Does it have a high shoulder? I'm expecting a slight understability off the tee, is that right? I know people are digging the SP Reef. I like to have a premium putter around, but my Crystal FLX Magnet and I never really got along. How does the D Line feel? Is it stiff? Or does it vary?

Thanks.

They're stiff. But not KC Pro stiff. Reefs are neutral when new and beat in to understable. If you're use to playing fade then these might not be what you're looking for. These are point and shoot. Very straight for putting. They don't have a deep rim but also not shallow. Not as deep as the Titanic/Magnet. I would guess similar to a Rhyno.

I have a couple of question for my fellow DGA fans

Does anyone use a Blowfly or a Gumbputt either up shots or putting? Playing some mountain courses it would be nice to minimize roll aways do they just flop down and sit or do they still roll? Are they controllable or are they too floppy to have a solid grip?

Seeing that DGA makes a lot of discs that are modified Discraft discs. Are there any discs you think would be better if slightly changed? I would like to see a big bead putter based on the challenger or a less stable flick I really like how shallow the rim is for forehand shots.

One last thing I am thinking about getting rid of my riptides as I am not impressed with them as much as I use to be and throwing OOP plastic makes me a little nervous. Do you think they would be worth hanging on to and hope they become rare and the value will go up or are they just going to be taking up space?

Thanks

Also on the note of OOP... I threw the aftershock today. Its a fantastic disc, and somehow was reminded a lot of the Nebula. Anyone care to speculate on that coincidence?

So someone tell me about the Reef/APX. How deep is it? Does it have a high shoulder? I'm expecting a slight understability off the tee, is that right? I know people are digging the SP Reef. I like to have a premium putter around, but my Crystal FLX Magnet and I never really got along. How does the D Line feel? Is it stiff? Or does it vary?

Thanks.

I use a 171g D-line Reef for 50-100' approaches. I release it on a slight hyzer, it flips up flat, goes straight, and still tails late. It started out as a turnover putter for tight woods approaches, and it quickly became my go to approach disc because of the control and ability to shape shots. It maxes around 250' for me, but the glide has taken a tailwind drive over 320'.

Katana's description is right on; a slightly softer KC Pro. I also have a 5+ yr old 175g D-line Reef that is basically the same as my newer one. However, the newer one has an embossed stamp, where the old one is just a surface stamp. Also, the new one has a grip strip on the bottom close to the rim added in one spot.

That 320' drive actually convinced me to get a SP Reef as a US driving putter. I'll admit I wasn't patient with it, but it was slick and had no glide.

I have a couple of question for my fellow DGA fans

Seeing that DGA makes a lot of discs that are modified Discraft discs. Are there any discs you think would be better if slightly changed? I would like to see a big bead putter based on the challenger or a less stable flick I really like how shallow the rim is for forehand shots.

Stuff I wanna see:
More Flex plastic; Tsunami and Torrent are tops on my list
D-line Breakers and a 2nd (hopefully more OS) run of Proline Breakers Something Drone-ish
A SP Stratus clone called the Flood

One last thing I am thinking about getting rid of my riptides as I am not impressed with them as much as I use to be and throwing OOP plastic makes me a little nervous. Do you think they would be worth hanging on to and hope they become rare and the value will go up or are they just going to be taking up space?

Riptide value is probably at its peak because of similar OOP fears. If its not the big basket w/ retro writing stamp or tye dye/custom ink, I doubt there will be much demand down the road for Riptides.
Get a Tsunami.

Also on the note of OOP... I threw the aftershock today. Its a fantastic disc, and somehow was reminded a lot of the Nebula. Anyone care to speculate on that coincidence?

Haven't thrown a Nebula, but the Aftershock is a better Roc. The Shockwave is OOP. Its basically the same mold as the Aftershock, but more OS. Kind of Gator-ish.

So. I was thinking about switching putters. Again. I love my Rhynos, but they don't seem to make it to the basket or fade out too fast on my normal putting stroke. Lots of basket hits. I suppose they might not fit with my putting style. I could just go back to my Magnets or change styles , but... Why not try something new? :p IT'S THE CURSE OF THE EQUIPMENT FORUM.

Thanks.

They're stiff. But not KC Pro stiff. Reefs are neutral when new and beat in to understable. If you're use to playing fade then these might not be what you're looking for. These are point and shoot. Very straight for putting. They don't have a deep rim but also not shallow. Not as deep as the Titanic/Magnet. I would guess similar to a Rhyno.

The APX (Reef) is deeper than the Magnet and Titanic (Titanic is deeper than the Magnet..it has a spacer added to the mold that makes it slightly more stable/overstable). It feels about the same in hand but the numbers say otherwise:)

Compared to your Rhynos it'll be understable indeed, compared to your Magnets you mentioned it'll only be slightly less stable than those.

CryZtal FLX is garbage in any mold IMO.

Comparing my Reefs to my Titanics using the trusted thumb nail cuticle depth test the Titanics are slightly deeper. Also, the D-line plastic is pretty tasty.

So I'm digging the Reef. The plastic is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Grippier and actually has some give, unlike my hard Magnet, but not nearly as squishy as my softs, with a similar texture.

I got a 170-172 (the Reef selection wasn't great)

I'd call it a putter Comet. Neutral at low and medium speeds, starts turning if you really rip on it. Doesn't like wind (besides tailwind) or bad form. But it's a super straight and awesome putter. Very point and shoot. Holds most lines at short range, like most neutral stuff will.

Now about the SP Reef... I've heard/read people saying it's super glidey and awesome, and people saying it's slick and brick-ish. Does anyone else have an opinion on it? I want a blue one. To dye a Blooper on.

So I'm digging the Reef. The plastic is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Grippier and actually has some give, unlike my hard Magnet, but not nearly as squishy as my softs, with a similar texture.

I got a 170-172 (the Reef selection wasn't great)

I'd call it a putter Comet. Neutral at low and medium speeds, starts turning if you really rip on it. Doesn't like wind (besides tailwind) or bad form. But it's a super straight and awesome putter. Very point and shoot. Holds most lines at short range, like most neutral stuff will.

Now about the SP Reef... I've heard/read people saying it's super glidey and awesome, and people saying it's slick and brick-ish. Does anyone else have an opinion on it? I want a blue one. To dye a Blooper on.
I agree that it's like a putter Comet too. Using that analogy, SP Reef to me is like a Z Comet. Not as much glide and slicker than base or ESP but still pretty good. I wouldn't say they are any more slicker than any usual Z/Champ type disc. I'd probably prefer the SP Reef for putting b/c it wouldn't be quite as squirrely if the wind kicked up.

I'm thinking of buying a Blowfly II for approaches that stick. Give me some pros and cons.

Blowflies and gumbputts are incredibly floppy. The opposite end sags very noticeably in your hand and throwing one is like throwing pizza dough. But they roll away almost never and occasionally they'll sneak through the tray (which don't count any more).

I wouldn't say they are any more slicker than any usual Z/Champ type disc.

You're right. I made that sound bad. It's a Z Reef. I just didn't feel comfortable throwing it with a fan grip. Mine is 173g, but I'd consider a lighter one if they do a run in the new, slightly gummier SP Breaker blend.

Latest posts