• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

1100+ posts, too lazy to search. What would a 150 class Champion Firebird fly like?

Like the same shaped 175 Firebird, but lighter.

Sorry, I am an ass.

Seriously, I have never thrown one that light, but a guy I play with who throws a lot of overhands says that you don't notice hardly an difference in flight. They just require less effort to get them to do what you want. He will throw overhand with light weight unless it gets windy (although he throws far less overhand when it gets windy even with heavier stuff).

Like the same shaped 175 Firebird, but lighter.

Sorry, I am an ass.

Seriously, I have never thrown one that light, but a guy I play with who throws a lot of overhands says that you don't notice hardly an difference in flight. They just require less effort to get them to do what you want. He will throw overhand with light weight unless it gets windy (although he throws far less overhand when it gets windy even with heavier stuff).

Yeah, 150 class champion FBs do NOT lose stability just because they're light. I've thrown a 158 champ FB that was every bit as meaty as a heavier one.

Flicks are the same way. 150g Z Flicks are extremely overstable and glideless for such a light disc.

Not a firebird but the new gateway blade is the closest thing I've found to my friends old FAF firebirds. Plus the HD plastic is awesome and it happens to be way cheaper.

Winter rounds on slippery ice have me re-examining 150 class stuff. Think I'll give one of these a whirl.

I tend to throw more forehand on slippery pads and on weird footing. I've tried a bunch of weights of Firebird, and though the 150 class ones fly pretty true to form, they don't deal with off axis torque nearly as well. Good early flight penetration, though.

Anyone got leads on a 150ish Champ? My FH needs work, and my OH can't handle max weight anymore. A similarly OS mold in a similar weight would be ok, but I've alwqys liked FBs.

1100+ posts, too lazy to search. What would a 150 class Champion Firebird fly like?
Love 'em.
More glide, more workable, slightly later fade.
I had 150g Champs in my all 150g bag (putters, mids, drivers) that I carried for 5+ years. They are definitely Firebirds and are fantastic for Firebird shots.

Seems like more and more places are receiving the pearly (I assume naturally) flat topped Firebirds. Be on the lookout, as this may be the next run of FAF or as close as we may get for a while.

I had a 154g champ I traded to a friend. Not super flat, nice smooth low top. That thing is grade A angus. Very overstable, just went a little farther with slightly less effort. Traded it away because my Sexton stash is ample, and it was just too overstable for me.

My 157g Firebird flies just like a Firebird. Gets pushed around a tad more by the wind, but in a low/no wind situation it has the classic firebird flight.

Edit: Mine is slightly domey

Can we all just be happy that good flat Firebirds are readily available?

Until they aren't. I was not serious enough to want the 2012 run when they were still relatively cheap. I will not make the same mistake again. I won't go crazy, but I will definitely get a couple more of these as backups.

BTW, when is someone going to post profile pic comparing these to the circa 2012 FAF 12x, Glow, and Metal Flake runs? I don't own any of those or I would.

First pic: 2012 Pearly FAF on left - 2018 Pearly on right
Second pic: 2012 Opaque FAF on left - 2018 Pearly on right
Third Pic: 2012 Pearly FAF on left - 2018 Pearly on right

Attachments

• A25CA95D-75A1-445A-9016-6A87CA707A26.jpg
    A25CA95D-75A1-445A-9016-6A87CA707A26.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 57
  • FD7ABD96-E2C0-46A2-8340-C4C7753B6773.jpg
    FD7ABD96-E2C0-46A2-8340-C4C7753B6773.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 53
  • CA0B1AFF-91DF-4C89-A027-9281ADBFF6EC.jpg
    CA0B1AFF-91DF-4C89-A027-9281ADBFF6EC.jpg