• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

@Mickstar - I'm always curious about this. What shots are you looking to get from your seasoned or less beefy Firebird?

I use my seasoned FB more as an OS fairway with a hard finish. I play a lot of woods golf and having something capable of flying straight(ish) for most of its flight then finishing hard is useful for the doglegs on a few local courses. I'm sure there are other discs capable of that shot, but I like the shape of the FB, and it gets great ground play for penetrating those doglegs.

I use my seasoned FB more as an OS fairway with a hard finish. I play a lot of woods golf and having something capable of flying straight(ish) for most of its flight then finishing hard is useful for the doglegs on a few local courses. I'm sure there are other discs capable of that shot, but I like the shape of the FB, and it gets great ground play for penetrating those doglegs.

Cool.

The Thunderbird/OLF actually has the same wing as a Firebird, so they feel nearly identical in hand. Its also pretty much designed for what you describe. Could be worth a try.

That said, I dont mean to derail your question and I'm always curious about how the latest runs of Firebirds are doing.

Sounds like you need a PD based on that description. I somehow found room for a FB, PD, ThB and OLF in my bag at one point, though the ThB and OLF were very similar (OLF was better FH, ThB was better BH). The PD is basically a seasoned FB right out of the box.

Sounds like you need a PD based on that description. I somehow found room for a FB, PD, ThB and OLF in my bag at one point, though the ThB and OLF were very similar (OLF was better FH, ThB was better BH). The PD is basically a seasoned FB right out of the box.

yeah ill second that, you want a PD.

I think Thunderbirds and OLFs are the same mold.

Innova made PDs are also Firebird wings, so they also feel like FBs as well.

I have a Champion Thunderbird, but don't carry it. It's much more stable (and shorter) than my seasoned Star Firebird. Aside from really strong headwind, I don't see a lot of use for it in my game.

What plastic PD would you recommend for something that flies like I describe my seasoned FB?

I have a Champion Thunderbird, but don't carry it. It's much more stable (and shorter) than my seasoned Star Firebird. Aside from really strong headwind, I don't see a lot of use for it in my game.

What plastic PD would you recommend for something that flies like I describe my seasoned FB?

I'd recommend an S-PD for what you seek, the older Innova ones are probably better, but we'll have to see how the DM molded ones come out later this month. They did do a run of them as Nordic Phenoms and those are awesome, but limited edition so backups would be hardish if you fall in love with it. Alternatively, you could look at an I-Blend Scepter from Infinite Discs, it'll be a fresh FB when new, but should beat into the seasoned FB slot much quicker, and it feels like a FB in the hand too.

Can anyone compare the relative stabilities of more recent run Star & G* Firebirds?

I have a G* Destroyer that I strongly prefer over any Star Destroyer that I've even tried. (I don't have the arm speed to get a full flight out of a Star Destroyer, but do OK with my G*.) I'm wondering if a G* Firebird would be a good off the shelf backup for my seasoned Star Firebird.

Second question...

One reviewer on OTB mentioned that their InnVision Star Firebird was less stable than expected. I thought InnVision discs were just different graphics, so this was probably just a case of that reviewer getting a less OS Star Firebird. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'm all ears, though. I do like the art on the InnVision Star Firebirds.
I like the older GStar FB I have. Still plenty stable after 5 years of winter golf and is similar to my Star FBs in stability (holds up ok in headwinds). Not much change in flight after the initial break in period. Don't think the GStar blend formulation has changed much so new ones are probably similar.

Star FBs are less stable so maybe that reviewer was expecting the same flight as a Champion one they had previously? Could also be a less stable run/one off but I couldn't say what characteristics to look for to choose a less OS Star FB.

Agree that I-Blend Scepter is a good off the shelf option for a less OS FB as well. More glide but still has the more abrupt FB finish to the flight compared to Thunderbirds/PDs/OLFs.

I think Thunderbirds and OLFs are the same mold.

Innova made PDs are also Firebird wings, so they also feel like FBs as well.

They all have the same Firebird wing but OLF/Thunderbird are definitely not the same mold. All four mentioned in this thread have different tops...I mean shoot the JLS has a Whippet bottom but is nowhere near the same flight.

They all have the same Firebird wing but OLF/Thunderbird are definitely not the same mold. All four mentioned in this thread have different tops...I mean shoot the JLS has a Whippet bottom but is nowhere near the same flight.

The JLS has a slower TB wing, and they are less stable than new Teebirds. Go figure.

You could be right, but I think its a bit unknowable without talking to Dave. If you read about the development of the OLF and Thunderbird there was almost certainly homogeny in those molds at some point.

The JLS has a slower TB wing, and they are less stable than new Teebirds. Go figure.

You could be right, but I think its a bit unknowable without talking to Dave. If you read about the development of the OLF and Thunderbird there was almost certainly homogeny in those molds at some point.

The top changes a Whippet from super overstable to rather neutral as a JLS was my point. Never mentioned Teebirds nor is it their wing.

OLF uses the Wraith top.

OLF/ThB were developed many years apart and I've cumulatively thrown over 40 of them over a decade....do you have a link to the discussion of said homogeny? Yes they were both designed for the same/similar flight characteristics but correlation does not imply causation. Every manufacturer under the sun tries to make Teebird, Zone, or Destroyer clone for reason.

The top changes a Whippet from super overstable to rather neutral as a JLS was my point. Never mentioned Teebirds nor is it their wing.

OLF uses the Wraith top.

I was just trying to make it clear for anyone trying to follow along that the JLS is not on the FB wing, like everything else we've been discussing.

OLF/ThB were developed many years apart and I've cumulatively thrown over 40 of them over a decade....do you have a link to the discussion of said homogeny?

Google will find you plenty, but here's one of many. As I mentioned earlier, if you dont hear it from Dave its just speculation. :

(Cool coincidence - the guy claiming MOLF = P Thundy also mentions having 40+ disc experience!)
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-93633-p-2.html

Yes they were both designed for the same/similar flight characteristics but correlation does not imply causation.

Sure, but the OLF and Thunderbird were both designed by Dave Dunipace and manufactured by Innova. One is Innova branded and the other is Millennium. OLF/Thundy would not be the only 1:1 mold between the two.

Every manufacturer under the sun tries to make Teebird, Zone, or Destroyer clone for reason.

Ya, everyone wants to make a Destroyer. I bet you'll never guess where Millennium got the Scorpius.

At some point I think OLF and Thunderbird did actually did overlap entirely, but I wouldnt put money on it one way or another until I hear it from Dave.

try the brand new s-line pd, or nordic phenom

Sorry for the OLF threadjack

You linked the thread not the post FYI.

I don't have it in me to argue on DGCR anymore, cheers bud. To your point I'd never believe they're the same disc unless Dave D looked me in the eyes and said so himself.

/Grip

Even Dave says crazy things sometimes that if taken literally can cause confusion.

I recall him saying, "I think my favorite version of the Aviar would have to be the Nova"

Sexton and Zach Johnson '22 Tour Series Firebirds (along with a few other '22 TS discs) still available on Innova Pro Shop and other vendors 2+ months into the next year, seems Innova reached a market saturation point with these and other tour series discs. I'm guessing they'd sell some if the players made appearances at some of these early '23 events on live/post produced coverage. Not sure Sexton has selling power for a disc when only showing up in commentary after multiple years out of full time touring.

Sexton and Zach Johnson '22 Tour Series Firebirds (along with a few other '22 TS discs) still available on Innova Pro Shop and other vendors 2+ months into the next year, seems Innova reached a market saturation point with these and other tour series discs. I'm guessing they'd sell some if the players made appearances at some of these early '23 events on live/post produced coverage. Not sure Sexton has selling power for a disc when only showing up in commentary after multiple years out of full time touring.

I think the same goes for discraft with all the ledgestone discs floating for sale...especially the necrobumped molds.