• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I bought my first Firebird last night (regular star). It loves to fade! It transitions from straight to fade so fast that it appears to accelerate 2/3rds into the flight.

I was throwing it in a 250 foot field adjacent to a playground (had my 3 kids with me). After a few gentle sidearm throws, I decided to try a little overhand flick and the chicken started on fire! It took off fast over the field and into the parking lot and started to fade towards a group of cars. I covered my eyes and then looked up to see that it landed safely past the cars 320 feet away. I never really throw tomahawks but I might have to start now.

What is the most OS Firebird that I will be able to get my hands on easily?

The Star or Jolly Launcher 'Birds seem to be very OS (especially in max-weight). I can't speak for personal experience, but plenty of folks have mentioned that Innova's glow plastic is more stable than other blends.

The Star or Jolly Launcher 'Birds seem to be very OS (especially in max-weight). I can't speak for personal experience, but plenty of folks have mentioned that Innova's glow plastic is more stable than other blends.

I prefer the glow champ FB over the standard champ. It tends to be a little stiffer, if you're looking for a meathook with a lot of skip. I compliment it with a soft G* FB and carry both in my bag.

I've had a FAF 12x in my bag for the last 2+ years and use it for a lot of overhand and flick shots. Seems like it is still as OS as the day I bought it.

DX Firebird = S-PD, am I right? Everyone knows that Champ Birds of Fire are great, but I've really been enjoying mine in DX lately. Anyone else bag DXs?

DX Firebird = S-PD, am I right? Everyone knows that Champ Birds of Fire are great, but I've really been enjoying mine in DX lately. Anyone else bag DXs?

I was really enjoying an old one I got used until I threw it in the pond off #2 at Rollin Ridge. You could flick it pretty hard and not get much turn but not all that much fade either.

I just use Champ right now, but I like almost any plastic. G* slightly less.

I just lost mine FAF FB in leagues the other night. I'm still having nighmares. Although I have others none were as stables as the super flatty.

The newer runs are a little more domey and less opaque it seems. I have one and it's not less OS than my FAF ones, but the grip isn't quite as comfortable.

The more recent 12x runs in Jolly Launcher don't seem to be molding up FAF like the older pearly ones. They are still OS, but not stupid OS like the stiff FAF ones.

I won a Firebird in a tournament over the weekend and the TD that donated the disc said it is a late 11 time run Firebird that has the 12 time stamp. I believe him as he is very knowledgeable in disc golf as well as a sponsored pro. My question is, how can you tell the difference from the 11 time and 12 time given this disc has the 12 time stamp?

I won a Firebird in a tournament over the weekend and the TD that donated the disc said it is a late 11 time run Firebird that has the 12 time stamp. I believe him as he is very knowledgeable in disc golf as well as a sponsored pro. My question is, how can you tell the difference from the 11 time and 12 time given this disc has the 12 time stamp?

What I have found is if a 12x firebird has no flight numbers, the stamp is different and it has patent #'s on back flight plate, chances are it could be made from 11x plastic. You can just tell by the feel of it also. I normally buy pre# 12x bc they are a cheaper alternative to 11x for me.

So do the normal 12 times not have the patent numbers on the back? This disc does have them.

Yes, the new ones, with flight numbers on front stamp don't have patent #'s. Most aren't as flat (although there was a run of super super hard flat as a board ones) Either way, I hate the new ones......the plastic sucks in my opinion.

Some of the 12x stamped ones without flight numbers don't haven't patent numbers on back either. It is just the SOME of the early pre# 12x stamped ones right after kc won his 12th championship were stamped with older 11x plastic. They are softer, some even gummy, most are flat and a thing of beauty.

The patent #'s on back are a great way to identify older discs with most innova molds.

A firebird with the 12x stamp is a 12x and not an 11x thats all. But if its board flat then there is a chance, but no way to tell. Its just an older 12x.

Latest posts