• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

I just ordered a Boatman today since I mainly throw forehand and I am getting super excited for it to arrive after reading all the good things about it. This will also be my first Westside disc, in a nice 169g tournament pink.

I just ordered a Boatman today since I mainly throw forehand and I am getting super excited for it to arrive after reading all the good things about it. This will also be my first Westside disc, in a nice 169g tournament pink.
It's very beefy at first...but once you break it in a little the glide shines through and it becomes really workable!

Has anybody else gotten there hands on the blue sparkle TP warships. I have seen the local stores here getting them and also the online stores. I have found this one to be much more o/s than the other warships I have thrown. They are also not as domey and have a slight puddle top.

Yo Westsiders!

I have been thinking about going with the Westside/lat64/DD family for my bag for a while. I would like some feedback. I am currently throwing for distance max wt Forces that go 390-405 on golf lines and max wt Hurricanes that go 425-450. I use the hurricanes for tailwind, long hyzers, s turns and the forces for windy drives, big hyzers, skips etc.

I believe from my searching the sword would behave more like my hurricanes with skinny S turns and long straight shots that fade and the giant could replace my force for really windy days and lighter weights for big hyzers and overstable distance shots. I would like to know what weights and plastics do you suggest from someone around my power level thanks!

Yo Westsiders!

I have been thinking about going with the Westside/lat64/DD family for my bag for a while. I would like some feedback. I am currently throwing for distance max wt Forces that go 390-405 on golf lines and max wt Hurricanes that go 425-450. I use the hurricanes for tailwind, long hyzers, s turns and the forces for windy drives, big hyzers, skips etc.

I believe from my searching the sword would behave more like my hurricanes with skinny S turns and long straight shots that fade and the giant could replace my force for really windy days and lighter weights for big hyzers and overstable distance shots. I would like to know what weights and plastics do you suggest from someone around my power level thanks!

175g VIP plastic

Hoss22^
I was thinking: 2:175-vip sword, 1: 175 tournament sword, 1:175-vip Giant, 2:170 Tourny Giants.
Chive on! haha

I only threw lighter Swords in TP and heavier VIPs should have less turn and more HSS but the Sword may have less stability than the Hurricane...that said I am not all that familiar with Hurricanes...my point of this was to suggest that you might want to consider the Trespass in that slot

The Giant in VIP and heavier ought to be close to a force but perhaps longer

So consensus says stick with heavy opto for both? and not tournament?

if your throwing over 400, then I would say yes, stick with vip. the sword at this distance will keep a very straight to tight s in vip, while tourney will most likely hold an anny line...especially when broken in a little bit. And the vip giants are the closest to forces imo. tourneys will be slightly less hss than a max z force, will have more glide, straighter flight, and a little less fade. But again, just my opinion.

Tournament Swords are great. Flips up just a little for excellent straight line distance with little fade.

So the more I am playing with my small bag filled with westside and Lat64 discs (giant,sword,saint,xxx,fuse,pain) I am noticing an overlap between heavy VIP swords and lighter TP giants. My question to the westsiders is Do you throw both molds? Do you cycle TP giants? Would a beat tp giant, fresh tp giant and vip giant cover all my lines, or is there something a sword can do that the giant cant?

So I've had my boatman for about a month and a half and love it. I definitely will have to start trying out some more Westside discs but I want a slower speed disc that can help improve my backhand form and that I can still use for some good forehand drives. Right now I am possibly looking at a Stag or a Warship, any opinions?

So I've had my boatman for about a month and a half and love it. I definitely will have to start trying out some more Westside discs but I want a slower speed disc that can help improve my backhand form and that I can still use for some good forehand drives. Right now I am possibly looking at a Stag or a Warship, any opinions?

I don't have any experience with the boatman, but with my 172 VIP stag I got about a month ago I have been crushing backhand flex drives off of a flat release and hyzerflips with it. I have about 350 feet of power (RHBH) with lightweight rivers and put my stag out that far last week. It might be a little too squirrely for forehands, but that's just going off of what my forehanding buddys around here throw.

So the more I am playing with my small bag filled with westside and Lat64 discs (giant,sword,saint,xxx,fuse,pain) I am noticing an overlap between heavy VIP swords and lighter TP giants. My question to the westsiders is Do you throw both molds? Do you cycle TP giants? Would a beat tp giant, fresh tp giant and vip giant cover all my lines, or is there something a sword can do that the giant cant?

Yes, cycling tp giants is amazing i had unfortunate luck recently and lost two and had one stolen need to start all over. Once they start to gain more turn you can start to make some nice lines.

I recently compared VIP Boatmen and VIP Giants. I didn't realize that the Boatman was so freakin overstable.

I don't have any experience with the boatman, but with my 172 VIP stag I got about a month ago I have been crushing backhand flex drives off of a flat release and hyzerflips with it. I have about 350 feet of power (RHBH) with lightweight rivers and put my stag out that far last week. It might be a little too squirrely for forehands, but that's just going off of what my forehanding buddys around here throw.

Thanks man, this helps a bit. I am just curious now how others feel about the Tursa as being used for both backhand to improve form and how well it handles forehand drives.

The last few years, Westside has released 3-4 new molds on March 1.

I haven't heard a peep about new molds this year.

Anybody know anything?