• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

i got the pics from westsides www after oogling the discs,i will be trying the underworld as well. i was really only interested in the tursas but the underworld just looks yummy.

Can I send you to DN to pick me up some Stags on March 1?
I'll PP you the cash
you'd have to ship later...I'm in Europe from March 6 to April 10

5 nice 170gm TP Stags...pinks and yellows

hmmmmmmmm???????

Wow do those discs look great. Interesting mix of over/understable, and in speeds I can throw. I think I'll have to try all 3.

perhaps

nothing serious and I don't have room to take a proper bag of discs...baby stuff

my wife's brother is in Hungary and apparently Budapest has a 9 hole course and he'd like to try it

so maybe I can take a Warship and a Pure and and play that course

and my wife has been asking if I've found a course in Turkey yet...I haven't looked

So knock a level off the speed for these guys, right? With that, we've got a sexy plastic Leo, Teebird, and Stingray? I know no one likes to always compare to Innova, but these will sell like hotcakes if they're anywhere close. May try an Underworld...

and my wife has been asking if I've found a course in Turkey yet...I haven't looked
Turkey has some crap going on these days... I don't see Turkey listed in the countries here on DGCR so I would guess there aren't. Who knows, though!

So knock a level off the speed for these guys, right? With that, we've got a sexy plastic Leo, Teebird, and Stingray? I know no one likes to always compare to Innova, but these will sell like hotcakes if they're anywhere close. May try an Underworld...

I don't think so on these ones

edit: March 1

(it's been said many times and is on their website)

I have...so has Apparition (I got mine from him)

I haven't done enough work with the Underworld to fairly report on it

For reference, these are the pictures of the VIP protos I took within 2 minutes of getting them: http://imgur.com/a/TZPXJ

I spent a lot of time with the protos before sending them on to ManU. I'm confident that Westside's numbers for the new discs are accurate (the Underworld is a completely new mold they definitely did their homework on). A lot of testing went into these discs to get accurate numbers... A LOT. I wouldn't doubt that WS recognized that people questioned the numbers on some of their discs before these and wanted to get them perfect for these ones (the Stag protos #s changed a couple times I believe).

Someone mentioned comparing the Underworld to a Leopard earlier, which is the one disc I could definitely give it a fair comparison to. It has a similar low high speed stability and equal fade, but it glides forever. I think inFlight portrays it correctly. If you're like me and love to test different nose angles with different power throws, you'll love how easy it is to control.

On the topic of the Underworld, I reminisce this as my favorite hole for it. It's about 360 feet to the curve on this hole and you're on a ~10foot hill when you throw. Hyzerflip the Underworld with a lot of snap and it consistently parked right at the curve for me. I miss the Underworld and plan to buy it in VIP and TP right around 168g (which is what I threw).

I loved the Tursas, though. I hyzerflipped discs before I knew what that even was :)o), so when I started throwing the Tursas I fell in love. I kid you not, I could hyzerflip it on a frozen rope 200-250 feet (the glide...) and have it fade 10-15 feet to the right. I almost had my first ace with it on a 195' dead straight alley shot. Hands down easiest disc to control I've ever thrown. It's the first disc I could effortlessly get that RHBH anhyzer fade from. I could also get it to fade left by putting less snap on it. Favorite Westside disc for sure. Unfortunately, the inFlight guide doesn't do the Tursas justice at all. I loved testing underpower, normal power, and overpowering it with different nose angles. Throw it flat and it's more HSS than inFlight depicts. Throw it anhyzer and it can give you a very easy to control S curve (thinking different power throws). I can't wait to buy it in max weight both plastics. It's exactly the understable midrange I've been waiting for.

Actually it appears that Westside just varies across the board on ratings instead of conforming to typical rim width ratings. Innova tends to stick pretty closely to rim width for their speed ratings, Westside either comes up with their own criteria or in the case of 'speed 14' ratings I think it is entirely a marketing ploy. Here is their driver lineup:

'Speed 14' King 2.3 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 12' ex. Xcal, Destroyer, Force
'Speed 13' Giant 2.3 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 12' ex. Xcal, Destroyer, Force
'Speed 12' Sword 2.2 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 11' ex. Max, DD Hysteria, Surge (21.5), Wraith (21.5)
'Speed 11' Boatman 2.2 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 11' ex. Max, , DD Hysteria, Surge (21.5), Wraith (21.5)
'Speed 10' Northman 2.0 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 10' ex. Orc, Starfire, SL
'Speed 8' Stag 1.9 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 9' ex. PD, Valkyrie, Avenger
'Speed 7' Underworld 1.9 rim consistent with a typical 'Speed 9' ex. PD, Valkyrie, Avenger

Naturally there is plenty of variation with speed ratings and rim width across the board and inaccuracies in rim width recordings on the PDGA approved list so there is no strong science behind speed ratings. Westside's approach is more unique but could be more accurate.

I loved the Tursas, though. I hyzerflipped discs before I knew what that even was :)o), so when I started throwing the Tursas I fell in love. I kid you not, I could hyzerflip it on a frozen rope 200-250 feet (the glide...) and have it fade 10-15 feet to the right. I almost had my first ace with it on a 195' dead straight alley shot. Hands down easiest disc to control I've ever thrown. It's the first disc I could effortlessly get that RHBH anhyzer fade from. I could also get it to fade left by putting less snap on it. Favorite Westside disc for sure. Unfortunately, the inFlight guide doesn't do the Tursas justice at all. I loved testing underpower, normal power, and overpowering it with different nose angles. Throw it flat and it's more HSS than inFlight depicts. Throw it anhyzer and it can give you a very easy to control S curve (thinking different power throws). I can't wait to buy it in max weight both plastics. It's exactly the understable midrange I've been waiting for.

Nice review....any chance you could post a profile view of this disc? My bag's in need of an understable mid but I haven't been thrilled with how most of the available one on the market feel in my hand. Would love soemthing that feels more Buzzzish than Rocish. Thanks in advance!

Thanks apparition. Sounds like the Underworld might be an out of the box understable complement to my S-FD. Love me some Swedish plastic, too.

Nice review....any chance you could post a profile view of this disc? My bag's in need of an understable mid but I haven't been thrilled with how most of the available one on the market feel in my hand. Would love soemthing that feels more Buzzzish than Rocish. Thanks in advance!
Wow, I didn't realize I didn't have a picture of the Tursas' profile in that album and I can't seem to find one on my computer.

ManU?

Latest posts