• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alligators? Combine ammonia and human urine...

InDaWoodsDiscN419

Par Member
Courtesy of Trapper David.

http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/alligatorrepellent.html

Alligator Repellent Analysis:

If you need alligator help, click my Nationwide List of Alligator Removal Experts for a pro near you.

Alligator Repellent: Does It Work?
The alligator is a beautiful animal but as beautiful as it is, it can sometimes be a threat to people or pets. It is also not easy to keep them out of the property, such as a pond or canal because they can cause a threat to people or pets and dig holes to get under fences and they can also climb when necessary. If they want to get to your lake then chances are they will. The biggest complaint with these animals is that they cause a threat to people or pets in a residential lake in search of meals. There are times that they will burrow under certain fixtures and homeowners will want to stay vigilant of larger specimens over 8 feet.

Natural Repellent Sprays Made At Home
There is no approved repellent on the market as of today, however there are some methods that have been passed around as options to try. There is a repellent that you can make at home. All you need is to combine ammonia and human urine in a spray bottle. The reason this is thought to keep alligators out of your lake is because it is similar to a predator's scent. Because of that smell the alligator will often choose to stay away. You should combine the two ingredients and spray it on the areas that seem to be the favorite target of the alligator.

You should know that this technique is not 100 percent guaranteed and it can have consequences such as attracting other animals that may be more trouble than an alligator. Most of the different repellents and scare tactics on the market don't actually work.

Fencing
If the natural repellent is not an option or it has not worked, then perhaps you may want to install a sturdy fence. Regular fencing will not work with most of the crafty alligators. They can climb a standard fence and if they can't they will simply cause a threat to people or pets under it. The way to make a fence be effective is if you make sure that a good part of the fence is under ground. Some also recommend your fence is placed in a way that it is tilted outwards from your lake.

The outward tilt will make it a lot more difficult for the alligator to climb. The underground fence is effective in keeping alligators and other wildlife like rabbits away from your lake. A metal fence is recommended because some wildlife can chew through plastic ones. Many people simply don't have the money to install the right kind of fencing and for this reason the best answer is to trap and relocate the animal.

Set Up Traps
A live trap is the one recommended for catching alligators, although it is much more difficult than it sounds. These are pretty intelligent little guys and hard to get an enticing bait for. Because of the difficulty in catching an alligator you should hire a trained professional for the capture and release of the animal in another area where they cannot come back to your lake. These animals are great for relocation because they tend to set up shop in their new spot. The other thing you may want to consider when deciding if you should try to catch the alligator yourself or to hire a professional is that you will probably need a few traps. If you don't already have them, hiring a professional will be more cost efficient.

More in-detail how-to alligator removal articles:
Information about alligator trapping - analysis and methods for how to trap.
Information about how to kill a alligator - with poison or other methods.
Information about how to keep alligators away - prevention techniques.
Information about how to catch a alligator - remove one stuck in the house.

This site is intended to provide alligator deterrent education and information about alligator repellents, such as those you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes, so that you can make an informed decision if you need to deal with a alligator problem. This site provides many alligator control articles and strategies, if you wish to attempt to solve the problem yourself. But remember, mothballs and fox or coyote urine won't do the trick, nor will high pitch sound or noise machines. If you are unable to solve the problem on your own, which is likely with many cases of alligator removal, please go to the home page and click the USA map, where I have wildlife removal experts listed in over 500 cites and towns, who can properly help you with your nuisance alligator. Click here to read more about how to get rid of alligators.

© 2001-2018 • Website content & photos by Trapper David

Personally much more worried about ticks...but those down South can Disc near gators daily.

Are alligators a big disc golf concern?
They are down south.

The type of wildlife you need to be on the lookout for all depends on where you're playing.

Like Dave said, throughout the southeast US Gators (not the PDGA approved kind) are a real concern on any course near water. Snakes are less of a concern because they usually try to avoid people, whereas a gator is much more likely to actively pursue. And you definitely want to think more than twice before wading into any water for a disc if you can't see what's coming from at least 25 ft away.

In the southwest, a variety of Rattlers (who knew they were available in such a wide range of plastics) are more prevalent than in other regions. Again not as likely to chase as gators, but it pays to be wary.

Disc retrieval devices FTW!

We're pretty lucky here in the midwest where dangerous wildlife isn't as prevalent. But disc retrievers won't help much if you come across a bear. :(

Last edited:
Bulldog Bayou definitely has alligators in the pond at the first 4 holes. And a kid claimed he got nipped by one at Cliff Stevens in FL, but from the minor scratch the camera showed I thought he was just creating a story for his parents to cover his lateness getting home.
And snakes will run away, but moccasins are surly mean bastards if you corner them.

Last edited:
Back in 1995 sports illustrated said I would be the next Ken Climo, but they wouldn't let me play on the tour... If I would have know about this fangled alligator spray, I would have just sprayed it all over my self and I might be more than just a coach for retired ultimate players today.

We're pretty lucky here in the midwest where dangerous wildlife isn't as prevalent. But disc retrievers won't help much if you come across a bear. :(

I saw one of those Mississauga "Michigan" rattlesnakes at Hudson Mills in about 1999. A friend's drive on the short dogleg right hole wrapping around that bog in the middle of the course (I'm terrible at remembering hole numbers!) landed right next to a baby one. The Disc was...A Cobra!

We used a long stick to retrieve her Cobra. The snake was cute. We could absolutely see its little rattle going!

(Now that I think about it, some friends and I also saw one the last time I was there about 8 years ago or so. Another baby, it was sunning itself on the bike/rollerblading trail near the middle of the Monster course).

I've lived in WI my whole life and I've seen exactly 1 bear in the wild. It ran across the road in front of our car over 20 years ago. Definitely one if the benefits of living in the Midwest is the lack of vicious reptiles lol.

Latest posts