• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Altitude and Stability

Yeah that makes sense, and that's another way to think about it...the discs kind of have a higher speed rating in a way. I also agree with how you found the HSS will ramp up, but the LSS is pretty similar. Even if you play at the same elevation but you play a course with tons of uphill/downhill shots, you have to change your disc selection like crazy (a 300' uphill shot might need a flippy driver, instead of a stable midrange on flat ground)...so combining that factor with 9000' leads to tons of variables.

More importantly though, was it a fun course?

How about your putting?

I noticed that my putter tended to fade somewhat earlier, but not all that much. It seems like it also took a little more effort to reach the basket on long puts, but honestly, there wasn't all that much of a difference.

More importantly though, was it a fun course?

It was extremely fun. Some of the downhills are really ridiculous in addition to absurdity of the last hole. I was throwing 3/4 power and less on 400 ft holes. On 18 I threw an Underworld and an Insanity over 1000 feet with 80% throws on successive rounds. That underworld was fun to watch as it turned, glided forever and then I lost sight of it as it faded because it was so far away. The insanity traveled dead straight for the whole distance and skipped for 150 feet or so after it hit.

A little off subject but over the weekend I hit what may be one of the if not the highest ace ever recorded. This is the highest basket on the course. It is just below the high point of the course which is tee 5. The basket sits at 11,500ish feet! It is a 290ft extremely up hill hole that plays about 400ft. Hit it with a 164gram beat up D1 on a forehand anhyzer line!

Attachments

• D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
A little off subject but over the weekend I hit what may be one of the if not the highest ace ever recorded. This is the highest basket on the course. It is just below the high point of the course which is tee 5. The basket sits at 11,500ish feet! It is a 290ft extremely up hill hole that plays about 400ft. Hit it with a 164gram beat up D1 on a forehand anhyzer line!

What course?

Sweet

So did you lose distance? If so how much? Oh and beaver ranch rules! One of the holes is dedicated to my best friend who passed away

Since I normally play on flat courses, and pretty much EVERY hole I played that weekend was up or downhill, I can't honestly say. If I had to guess, I'd say I gained a little distance by using less stable discs.

This is a thread I've thought about making for a while so kudos to everyone else for beating me to it. My question to everyone that's around big elevation changes is at what point in going up or down do you notice a change in flight characteristics? I've played anywhere from below sea level (New Orleans) to between 8,000-9,000' (Beaver Ranch) and obviously there's a distinct difference in flights.

Think the closest I've been to big changes within the same time frame to where I could pay attention to it was playing in Grass Valley (~2,500' I think), then Dela the next day which is pretty much sea level then Tahoe the next day (~6,200'). I didn't see any noticeable change in flight between Grass Valley and Dela or if there was it was very small. But Tahoe had a big change compared to the other two. So that's a 3,500' change in elevation compared to Grass Valley. Is any change around 3,000 feet or over where the flights start to change? Anyone have any insight into those specifics?

Its seems to really get different over 5k feet. When I go from 7k feet and play in Denver at 5k I notice my discs are just slightly less stable. Not extreme like at sea level. But if I go to Leadville at 10k feet, I can use a dx leopard as my go to driver. Its crazy, so overstable.

So to me, it seems like there is an exponential increase of stability as you go up. I would think if you were able to throw a disc on flat ground at 20k feet, all discs would be firebirds.

Latest posts