• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds in Emporia will be a trophy-only tournament

steven2361

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I just read this in the Spring edition of the Discgolfer magazine. Discuss!

Bundled with a super sweet player's pack, it sounds like a great idea.

As soon as one is finished with however much of the festivities that they want to partake in, they can start heading home. The DD crew isn't up past midnight handling payout for "Ams" who already had more plastic than they will ever need prior to the event.

Awesome! Maybe it will set a trend for smaller, regional tournaments.
Am payouts are a pain in the rear.

EDIT: This is not an "Am Slam", as I am the ammiest of all the ams.

Good. Ams getting anything in my opinion is dumb. More/all tournaments should be trophy only. They should generate revenue for the oeople who bust their ass and take all the risk in putting their capital in to promote and run an event. Id rather have a trophy then plastic ill never throw.

i'll say it again, if all of you want tournaments with no am payout go run them or stop complaining.

i'll say it again, if all of you want tournaments with no am payout go run them or stop complaining.

Who's complaining? All I'm reading here is praise for the Emporia guys for running a true amateur Worlds.

(and for the record, I DO run no am payout tournaments)

Last couple of years the guys running our tournament have asked on the local forums whether we want to stay with the current AM payout structure, or reduce entry fee by half and make it a trophy only event, or reduce the entry fee even further and make it a trophy only event with no player pack.

Every year those that vote primarily vote for current structure of player pack + payouts. So in our area we do have the option to have AM events that are trophy only, complete with a reduced entry fee, but the local players vote not to go that way.

my guess is most people would prefer to keep it that way. either get a sweet players pack or a simple players pack with payouts.

i'll say it again, if al
l of you want tournaments with no am payout go run them or stop complaining.

Hopefully it will set a new standard, and if i felt it was a good investment of my time and money I would. Hopefully allot of people will give great reviews and maybe itll happen. Unfortunatly most tourneys are ran by disc golf shops that need to unload their unsellable inventory. Id rather see new creative people becoming tds but it will never happen with the entitled am mentality. Ive seen enough people try to do good things but only get crapped ohn by unappreciative dbags. Hence why most tourneys are stagnant at best. Just my opinion though and glad to see more people agreeing.

Who's complaining? All I'm reading here is praise for the Emporia guys for running a true amateur Worlds.

(and for the record, I DO run no am payout tournaments)

What is your usual entry, and how are your turnouts? Where are you located?

It shouldnt be trophy only because people travel from all over the world for this event, some of them may rely on selling some of their prizes to recoup some of the investment it takes to take a week off of work and travel costs. There will be over 500 players, and its an amatuer WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP event. You can provide payout with itens other than disc golf related gear. By giving everyone a sweet players pack, its like saying "welcome to the non competitive ymca league." People want to compete and earn something by finishing well.

Last edited:
It shouldnt be trophy only because people travel from all over the world for this event, some of them may rely on selling some of their prizes to recoup some of the investment it takes to take a week off of work and travel costs.

agreed, there's no way the player pack will make up for no payout. it's kind of the everybody wins bull**** that is ruining this country.

If you agree with a sweet player pack for everyone instead of payout you should probably drop a division because you probably arent cashing.

What is your usual entry, and how are your turnouts? Where are you located?

I'm in Maine. Last year, my B-tier was $20 for all am divisions. All players got a tournament stamped Discraft disc (choice of 6 molds in Z or ESP plastic) and some other miscellaneous swag (stickers, coupons, player program). Maxed out the tournament at 72 players three weeks in advance with a waitlist that got up to 18 players deep. Final totals on tournament day were 27 pros and 45 ams.

That's pretty much how it's worked for this event for the last ten years. Sometimes the am entry has been higher (highest was $35) but in those years, the player pack was appropriately bigger...one year we gave a golf bag (starter size) and disc, one year everyone got a custom supercolor and a custom hotstamp disc.

The only other singles events I run are a beginner-only event ($15 = disc, mini, rulebook, pro clinic, 2 rounds of play) and a charity event ($10 = charity donation & ace pot). They don't max, but there are anywhere from 15-30 ams playing in those.

It shouldnt be trophy only because people travel from all over the world for this event, some of them may rely on selling some of their prizes to recoup some of the investment it takes to take a week off of work and travel costs.

If people can't afford travel costs to attend, and are relying on their winnings to pay the bills, perhaps they shouldn't be attending. Aside from maybe the top 5-10 finishers, who is winning enough prizes to convert into cash that will cover their expenses? I'd bet a good 75% of people that go to Worlds have no delusions about their chances of actually winning anything, and are going for the experience and the fun of it. They couldn't care less about prizes and converting prizes into real money.

No one is entitled to play Worlds. While it is a privilege and honor to participate, it's still a choice. If you need prizes to justify going, and they're not paying out prizes, maybe it's not the tournament for you.

agreed, there's no way the player pack will make up for no payout. it's kind of the everybody wins bull**** that is ruining this country.

Wtf? I see it the other way. Your excpecting something for being mediocre at best at a low level of a sport. Your wantingan something for being the best at being mediocre. Your mentality is the entitled bull**** that is ruining this country in your words. Your an am!!! Please give me an example of another sport that pays ams anything. Ive played many other sports, and never got anything more than a teeshirt and a maybe a cheap participants medal. If i was good enough i got a trophy. You feel entitled. I feel like tourneys are stagnant because of entitled disc golfers who think they should get a 200% of their money back for just showing up.

But you think you should win prizes for your performance in an AM division, just because it's always been that way?

This is the problem- you're playing in an AMATEUR division. The very idea of winning prizes for your performance is contrary to very definition of amateur. If you want winners and losers with pay for your performance then step up and play with the Pros. Ams should be there for the experience, not to win prizes. It's been this way for so long now though, it's likely to never fully change, because of the entitled mentality that's become commonplace in the majority of AM players.

But, this is a dead horse conversation that's been beaten beyond recognition countless times.

On topic- I was surprised and impressed when I first heard Bowling Green was doing trophy only. I applaud DD for doing it for Worlds.

Wtf? I see it the other way. Your excpecting something for being mediocre at best at a low level of a sport. Your wantingan something for being the best at being mediocre. Your mentality is the entitled bull**** that is ruining this country in your words. Your an am!!! Please give me an example of another sport that pays ams anything. Ive played many other sports, and never got anything more than a teeshirt and a maybe a cheap participants medal. If i was good enough i got a trophy. You feel entitled. I feel like tourneys are stagnant because of entitled disc golfers who think they should get a 200% of their money back for just showing up.
:clap: I type slow, basically said what I was typing.

It's amateur. That should tell you something. It should be trophy only and if they want to sweeten the player's pack that is generous of them. You're not entitled to money valued items as an amateur. Just knowing how DD runs things I bet the pack will be best yet. I really hope the people with sour attitudes decide to skip this one. Enough complainers here already I am looking forward to meeting people who play for the love of playing not if they'll win a stack of underweight molds to unload on the cheap.