• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ambidiscstrous???

mike3216

Bogey Member
Yea, it sounds a little wrong when you try to say it......

I'm an older guy who has been playing for two years. I'm struggling with distance a bit, but these days, I get out to 330' or so with my drivers. I was out throwing in a field on my Sunday morning ritual today, not really feeling it, and my arm was a little sore from a bit too much throwing recently. So I switched it up, pulled out a bunch of mids, and started throwing LHBH. The first two or three were incredibly awkward. After that, not so bad. I worked for the next hour on smoothing out my delivery. I'm probably better lefty now than I was after throwing three months of righty. I attribute this to four reasons:

1. I was able to "teach" myself, quickly, all those things it took me a while to figure out initially from the right side.
2. No bad habits from all those years of throwing "regular" Frisbees.
3. I am of an age that when I grew up, being left-handed was frowned upon. I was somewhat forced into playing sports righty (I write lefty; they were unable to break me of that). There may be some left-hand dominance under the surface.
4. I played a lot of baseball as a kid, and a LHBH is a right-handed baseball swing.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I've tried throwing lefty and my results were awful. I just don't have the patience to try work through it.

I'm left-handed but I'm a pitcher for my baseball team so I taught myself to throw righty to avoid arm trouble. This was back when I first started playing so my right handed throws feel natural and I can throw quite a bit further and with more accuracy than left handed. I still pull out lefty if there's a dogleg right that doesn't fit well with a turnover shot so it's nice to have the option. I still putt lefty because I feel a lot more confident with it.

If a shark bit off my right arm, I would try to learn to throw with my left. Even in that scenario I don't think (after 34 years of being a righty) I would anywhere near a decent player. It would just be exercise at that point.

I throw LHBH but RHFH. I'm certain it comes from playing baseball growing up, I was a righty and both dg throws are with the left shoulder/hip/foot leading.

I know at least three players locally who throw both LHBH and RHBH. Two are natural righties, one a natural lefty. The righties taught themselves following an injury. The lefty is one of those who does some things righty (like throw a baseball) and some things lefty (like writing).

I'd do the same with a young person I was teaching to play disc golf or hit a baseball. Learn to be a switch-hitter. It can only be an advantage.

If a shark bit off my right arm, I would try to learn to throw with my left. Even in that scenario I don't think (after 34 years of being a righty) I would anywhere near a decent player. It would just be exercise at that point.

You might be surprised. I was. Of course, you have 32 more years of DG than I do.

Left handed dude who throws RHBH here. I've tried it, but outside of some short approaches/putts it just feels weird to me.

If you write with your left hand you are a lefty, just go with it. I throw and write lefty. I do play tennis, shoot and use scissors with my right. I have no explanation why.

If you write with your left hand you are a lefty, just go with it. I throw and write lefty. I do play tennis, shoot and use scissors with my right. I have no explanation why.

Everything has been right for me except writing. I play tennis as well. In my first couple of months in the Army, I thought I might try shooting left, but I was dissuaded by the lack of available brass deflectors. The lefties often ended up with hot brass that made its way into their uniform against their bare skin.

I am sooooo right handed its pathetic. Cant even hardly hold a fork lefty. The thought of being able to throw anything lefty is comical to me. But if you can do it, major props to you!

I do the vast majority of day-to-day stuff right handed, but write and disc golf lefty.

I'm a lefty and always thrown with my right hand . Due to injury/overuse, I am an RHBH switching to LHFH. The worse thing is the putting. Hope this is only tempory. I am 63.

I broke my right wrist (right handed) a while back and had to learn lefty to keep playing over a 3ish month period. While I don't use it a ton, I still practice with it and it's very useful in certain circumstances. I only get about 60 - 75% distance compared to my right handed shots, but can still get em out to around 300ft. It's also fun when someone doesn't know you can throw lefty and you whip one out after a round of all right. :D

Somewhat of a side but related rules note:

Situation:

John, a right handed golfer with a rating of 950, breaks his right arm and is unable to throw right handed. He decides to play a tournament and since he is throwing left handed, enters the recreational divisions. The TD says "sorry, you are rated 950 and can't play rec." John says "I'm throwing left handed, so I should be able to. My rating doesn't matter."

The TD is correct. There is no rule that allows someone to enter a division under the promise or assumption they will use their off hand.

I shoot and use scissors righty too. Not sure about the gun part but the scissors came from grade school, where there were no left handed ones. I learned to use righty scissors so I wouldn't flunk out of first grade :p

Yea, it sounds a little wrong when you try to say it......

I'm an older guy who has been playing for two years. I'm struggling with distance a bit, but these days, I get out to 330' or so with my drivers. I was out throwing in a field on my Sunday morning ritual today, not really feeling it, and my arm was a little sore from a bit too much throwing recently. So I switched it up, pulled out a bunch of mids, and started throwing LHBH. The first two or three were incredibly awkward. After that, not so bad. I worked for the next hour on smoothing out my delivery. I'm probably better lefty now than I was after throwing three months of righty. I attribute this to four reasons:

1. I was able to "teach" myself, quickly, all those things it took me a while to figure out initially from the right side.
2. No bad habits from all those years of throwing "regular" Frisbees.
3. I am of an age that when I grew up, being left-handed was frowned upon. I was somewhat forced into playing sports righty (I write lefty; they were unable to break me of that). There may be some left-hand dominance under the surface.
4. I played a lot of baseball as a kid, and a LHBH is a right-handed baseball swing.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Exactly this.
I injured my right arm and was forced to NOT THROW or learn lefty. This was after 28 years of throwing RHBH and I too found tha the skill progression moved along much faster than it did when I initially started out.

Since I've I healed up , I moved back to RHBH and rarely switch it up.

I like this thread because I realise that there are other people who can't explain their way of playing. If you can throw LHBH and RHBH, it's good for you, you don't have to learn sidearm, or just for short low-ceiling shots. So keep throwing with both hands.

I'm not that lucky. I write, play (table) tennis, hold scissors with my right hand. I throw everything (ball, darts, discs) and hold my knife with my left hand. I've tried all the mentionned things with my off-hand and it doesn't work. I have no explanation.

I'd love to throw RH as well, but can't sort it out yet.

The worst thing is when I have to hold a hammer and change hand everything second hit because I feel like it's working better with the other hand 🤔🤔🤔

I really think that a well-rounded player has a forehand shot in the kit... but I guess you are right in that you may not need it if you can throw left- and right-handed...

my world view is shattered now.

Latest posts