• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I would imagine this is not going through Cobblestone's pro shop, or Cobblestone at all.

There will probably be someone near Hole 1, collecting money and logging in players. "Cash only" would make sense. Though they could get a mobile card reader, it would hardly be practical.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm curious as to what goes to cobblestone. The tourney fees included $66 for greens fees, which I would assume the majority would go to cobblestone.

Overall in leau of all the other shenanigans, I thought the "cash only" phrase seemed a bit out of place

Why to people continue to stupidly think that ESPN3 will "bring new eyeballs" to disc golf? Clesrly the people who believe this particular Salient lie arent sports fans.

People dont browse ESPN3 at random. I know, because I use it. I watch my hometown college's football games there as well ae various weightlifting competitions. I dont start watching ESPN3 and see flicking through what they are showing. And I love watching sports.

You have to, at a minimum, have cable to watch ESPN3. On a weekend, if Im not playing disc golf, and I want to watch random sports, I'll check out one of the 11(!) channels on my TV. Im certainly not opening up ESPN GO on my phone or going on my computer to ESPN3 just to browse what randomness they have.

ESPN3 is only slightly better than not showing anything at all. If Salient is LUCKY they wilk get 1000 people watching live and four times that watching the archived event in the coming months.

And that is a huge if.

People dont browse ESPN3 at random. I know, because I use it. I watch my hometown college's football games there as well ae various weightlifting competitions. I dont start watching ESPN3 and see flicking through what they are showing. And I love watching sports.

This is not entirely true. I have on multiple occasions gone to ESPN3 just to see what college basketball games are on for something to put on the second and third monitors on my PC. Same goes for college football. There were multiple nights in the fall where I was hanging out drinking with my buddy who doesn't have cable at his house, and he would just pull up ESPN3 on his tablet and find a game to put on.

BUT, in both of those cases we were still targeting a specific sport, and typically didn't dive any farther in than the home page.

From what I've heard about your tournaments (all good stuff), I'm not surprised

Haven't you heard the phrase "misery loves company"? How much company will the good doctor have on Monday?

Well, the fact is, sometimes I've been awake at midnight because of the players who are camping in my yard----and who are still very awake at that time.

(Which leads me to the image of bunch of disc golfers camping out on Cobblestone Park golf course.)

This is not entirely true. I have on multiple occasions gone to ESPN3 just to see what college basketball games are on for something to put on the second and third monitors on my PC. Same goes for college football. There were multiple nights in the fall where I was hanging out drinking with my buddy who doesn't have cable at his house, and he would just pull up ESPN3 on his tablet and find a game to put on.

BUT, in both of those cases we were still targeting a specific sport, and typically didn't dive any farther in than the home page.

Exactly, I have probably watched at least 5-10 Gamecock baseball games this season on my tablet via ESPN3 including some of the Carolina-Florida series. Instead of watching the ADGT, golf fans will be tuned into the TPC this weekend most likely.

Fair enough. Its not a bad idea. I'm actually local, and that idea has some appeal to me. But im not giving these guys a nickle.

Just print out a $30 bill. Use a picture of the Doctor for the front. On the back, maybe a nice Cobblestone landscape. Because it's "cash only", make sure you include the phrase "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL CASH FOR ALL DEBTS RELATING TO THE ADGT"

***DISClaimer: this suggestion was made in jest. I'm not actually promoting the idea that anyone produce counterfeit currency, no matter how clearly bogus.

Any suggestions on items for the bingo squares?

• Showing archival footage of a player who is not in the tournament, and has not ever participated in an ADGT event.
  • False aggrandizement of the ADGT ("Foremost tour", etc.)
  • "Kilgus"
  • Mention of a Jeep giveaway, even though no jeep was given away.

ESPN3 is only slightly better than not showing anything at all. If Salient is LUCKY they wilk get 1000 people watching live and four times that watching the archived event in the coming months.

And that is a huge if.

And, at this point, the vast majority of those viewers will only be watching out of curiosity to see how this farce of an event plays out.

Ian, I'm sure Billy appreciates the clips very much; I sent some along to him as well. I don't believe he has access to much of the footage Clash collected through the years or he'd be alright on his own. From my chats with him, Billy is working hard to polish up a lot of content before the event so he's not stuck watching guys walk from shot to shot etc with nothing to talk about or show on screen.

I have no dog in this Poop on the ADGT thread and know nothing about the other folks behind the tour, but I will support my pals when they need it. I do think the ESPN3 approach may be a good route to reaching new eyeballs so the viewing figures will be interesting to see.

Joe

I still can't wrap my head around the apparent plan to have filler content from PDGA tournaments, showing players who have never and will never play in an ADGT event.

That to me just reeks of trouble and hypocrisy. Especially considering ADGT's stance towards the PDGA. I hope they get sued.

The perceived advantage of ESPN3 is the potential for random viewers to "stumble" on the broadcast and be introduced to the game. It's possible there might be a few that find the broadcast in that manner (like Brad describes...people looking for something random to throw on as background).

To me, for every random (e.g. non-disc golfers) viewers finding the stream, there will be a bunch of actual disc golfers who might be mildly interested to tune in upon hearing about it who will get roadblocked and dissuaded by the multi-step process involved in trying to watch the broadcast. Probably goes something like this...
  • Someone mentions (verbally, social media, whatever) the tournament is live on ESPN3
  • Go to espn3.com or download the app (if they don't already have it)
  • Try to log in
  • Forget their cable subscription login info and have to look it up or reset it
  • Get the info and try to log in again
  • Get in on the third try
  • Scroll through the listings
  • Give up scrolling and use the search function
  • Find ADGT listing and click
  • Wait through the ad as it loads
  • Watch stream

By contrast, think about how simple watching the Memorial or GBO was...
  • Someone posts a Youtube link on social media
  • Click the link
  • Watch stream
  • Share link on social media so 10 more people can find it like you did

Or maybe...
  • You remember the tournament is on
  • Go to Youtube (site or app)
  • Search "Smashboxx"
  • Click the stream
  • Watch the stream

Ultimately, I'm not seeing how ESPN3 makes this thing so special. It's not even that it's the ADGT for me...the USDGC could be doing this ESPN3 thing and I'd still have the same doubts that it would be impactful in terms of drawing new eyes (though it would easily pull better numbers than this circus).

JC, in the first segment, you left out "scroll past the GOLF heading several times, before noticing that this is where the listing is"

A: FINALLY! We got Disc Golf on ESPN!

B: CABLE IS DEAD, DUDE.

A: Well duh! How do you think we got cable on ESPN???

. I hope they get sued.

I wonder if they incorporated?

I doubt the ADGT has any assets to sue for.

I'd expect the guys used a real lawyer, and incorporated their organization at the outset, to shield themselves personally.

I also doubt the PDGA would bother.

Lol anyone reading 266 pages of any thread on any forum.

I think we just found a new method for enhanced interrogation that the CIA can use on ISIS.

Wouldn't that be cruel, even for ISIS? On the other hand, I can think of some of our own politicians I'd like to force that on...

Ultimately, I'm not seeing how ESPN3 makes this thing so special.

The only thing I can think of that ESPN3 brings is the mandated production quality. No matter how awful the tournament itself turns out to be, we at least can have some confidence that the production will be fairly well done.

I'd expect the guys used a real lawyer, and incorporated their organization at the outset, to shield themselves personally.

I've search everyway I know how and I cannot find a corporate filing for American Disc Golf Tour, Salient or Kilgus. However, while looking, I did find his wife who is quite proud of her Bachelor of Science in Home Furnishings. (Although she lists herself as Hillary E. Kilgus, B.A. which would be an Arts degree.)

Not so fast, my friend!

In order for the PDGA's use of likeness release to covers you, the PDGA needs to have designated you as one of its agents.

Also, possession of agency is not a blank check to publish however, wherever, and whenever the agent chooses. Depending on the type of agency and the specific rights and limitations granted in the agency agreement, you may still need permission from the PDGA to publish in certain circumstances and/or venues.

I sign PDGA stuff to make me an agent when I film. Think I'm good there. I've been talking to the PDGA about all this.

I read up on this (from a link someone posted in here). You can use the likeness, as long as you're not promoting something using their likeness. They and I are not doing that, we're just showing how awesome they are. Billy is working on spots to highlight all the players, and tell everyone about DG. He's not gonna try to make it look like Paul is selling Salient discs or something.

And honestly if this does end up on ESPN3 I bet all the players in the spots will be stoked they look awesome.