• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

My skepticism of this venture isn't about the people who are doing it---other than their inexperience in big events---but in the rest of the details of how it's being structured. It looks like a real longshot to pull off, and pull of well, no matter who does it.

They recently picked up the baton and ran a tournament at Crooked Creek, after the longtime regulars had retired and no one else had stepped up, and it appeared we'd get through a year with no tournaments there. So kudos for that.

Did they have a good turnout for that one?

My skepticism of this venture isn't about the people who are doing it---other than their inexperience in big events---but in the rest of the details of how it's being structured. It looks like a real longshot to pull off, and pull of well, no matter who does it.

well the entire business model is basically F the details and go for the quick $.

well the entire business model is basically F the details and go for the quick $.

I'm not so sure. I look at the model, and don't see how they'll make any money.

My skepticism is the non-PDGA, anti-PDGA aspect of it, the scheduling, the unknown course and course designer, TDs, and so on. I haven't seen a word anywhere asking for volunteers to help, or even asking the local community for input. The rules are odd, and inadequate. I just don't see how this works. But, hey, I'm a skeptic, not clairvoyant, so I'm willing to be wrong. Wrong and astonished.

I'm not so sure. I look at the model, and don't see how they'll make any money..

well its a get rich quick kind of thing vs actual long term growth. There is no way in hell a company like this makes it after all the bridges they have burned and im not talking a couple disc golf buyers.

Look at the pros they have lost, the lack of new molds, the slashing of product pricing, the retailers/wholesalers who are no longer ordering, and and and and and...

Well, clearly into wild speculation here. If they fill, they've got about $20,000 in entries, maybe another $3,000 in memberships. If they half-fill, then half of this. If they pay $10,000 to first and much at all down the line, they've spent it. If they spend $20,000 on production, and rent one of Columbia's top golf courses, or part of it, for a weekend or more, they've spent a lot more than they've taken in. And that's before other expenses. Where's it coming from?

Maybe I'm way off base, but that's what's running through my mind, and why I don't think they're getting rich quick on this. (Unless they collect entry fees, don't have the tournament, and don't refund them---which, skeptical as I am, I can't believe will be the case).

No, 28. But they did it, which is more than anyone else had volunteered to do.

28's better than the big ole fat goose egg they had show up to Goose Landing:

R8wV6PM.jpg

Well, clearly into wild speculation here. If they fill, they've got about $20,000 in entries, maybe another $3,000 in memberships. If they half-fill, then half of this. If they pay $10,000 to first and much at all down the line, they've spent it. If they spend $20,000 on production, and rent one of Columbia's top golf courses, or part of it, for a weekend or more, they've spent a lot more than they've taken in. And that's before other expenses. Where's it coming from?

Maybe I'm way off base, but that's what's running through my mind, and why I don't think they're getting rich quick on this. (Unless they collect entry fees, don't have the tournament, and don't refund them---which, skeptical as I am, I can't believe will be the case).

$20,000 on production seems cheap. Heinold said it would probably be more in the area of $50-75K

28's better than the big ole fat goose egg they had show up to Goose Landing:

Yeah, I'm rather curious about that. I assume it's true---not just failure to list players or upload unofficial results. Their website showed 9 pre-registered. I haven't seen or heard anything about what went down.

Yeah, I'm rather curious about that. I assume it's true---not just failure to list players or upload unofficial results. Their website showed 9 pre-registered. I haven't seen or heard anything about what went down.

They only had about 10 show up and cancelled. It didn't seem to be very well advertised in the area and I'm not sure people really knew about it. I think the 9 preregistered was an automatic number cause that number was at 9 on day one they announced.

Also a couple of guys from the local club went to the one in Chapin and apparently had a bad experience and told people about it. That probably didn't help.

David i wasnt saying they ACTUALLY will get rich doing this lol. :) maybe get rich quick was the wrong way to word it but just stating its a cheap attempt at doing an event and sits all on promotion of a steaming espn channel which coverage of events often sucks anyway. This is NOT espn network fighting for rights lol.

Same old Salient bs just a different day.

David i wasnt saying they ACTUALLY will get rich doing this lol. :) maybe get rich quick was the wrong way to word it but just stating its a cheap attempt at doing an event and sits all on promotion of a steaming espn channel which coverage of events often sucks anyway. This is NOT espn network fighting for rights lol.

Fair enough.

"Get-rich-quick scheme" is what I keep thinking too. In a cartoon villain kind of way.

They did say that they have more Big sponsors to annouce soon, so they might have some sort of cash flow coming in from that, that will help pay for the production value and maybe merch and payout.

Yeah like a PT office in the SC area? Lol gotta love businesses thag have public reviews... from the owners... 5 stars all day!