• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

"Due to popular request we have decided to add one Amateur Division to the 2016 American Open from May 13-15, 2016 live from South Carolina to be featured on ESPN3."

I love tuning in to ESPN and seeing my local rec basketball league...:wall::wall: I thought this event was meant to showcase the best players in our sport to "millions of viewers."

It would appear that many people from the Salient Swuad want to play, hence the reason for the Am side now opening up. Just assuming thats the reason.

Another thing, you should always be wary of anyone who has to constantly identify themselves as Dr., especially when the justification for that is a doctorate in physical therapy. It is just the person's way of assuring themselves that they are, in fact, better than other people. FWIW, I have a PhD in Genetics, and I never refer to myself as doctor. I do tack on the PhD to email sigs and business cards, as some customers actually care about that. But if you knew as many PhDs as I do you would know those letters often don't mean much.

I sure as hell would not sign up for something like the PDGA with Dr. in my name.

It would appear that many people from the Salient Swuad want to play, hence the reason for the Am side now opening up. Just assuming thats the reason.

Apparently part of the advertised deal was free entry into the American open. What was not clarified was that the free entry was a spectator entry and not player. A guy I know made this mistake when he joined the salient squad

Still seems strange to me how many of y'all are begging/praying for this to fail. Why? Yeah, yeah, I know there are numerous issues/questions, but with every passing misstep the pack is getting more ravenous.

Apparently part of the advertised deal was free entry into the American open. What was not clarified was that the free entry was a spectator entry and not player. A guy I know made this mistake when he joined the salient squad

I'm sure it was an oversight, not just another money grab.:wall:

Plagiarism should be looked into if that's the case.

Ok, now that I'm home I've looked a little deeper:

Full copyright to this book and any iteration of its contents is reserved by the PDGA. (last pages of the Rule book, Competition Manual and the combined document.

If the ADGT guys did in fact copy and paste certain sections, that's a big problem. They need to write their own rules completely, or give credit to the source.

Another thing, you should always be wary of anyone who has to constantly identify themselves as Dr., especially when the justification for that is a doctorate in physical therapy. It is just the person's way of assuring themselves that they are, in fact, better than other people. FWIW, I have a PhD in Genetics, and I never refer to myself as doctor. I do tack on the PhD to email sigs and business cards, as some customers actually care about that. But if you knew as many PhDs as I do you would know those letters often don't mean much.

I sure as hell would not sign up for something like the PDGA with Dr. in my name.

It was an ongoing joke that PGA golfer Gil Morgan was known as "Dr" Gil Morgan -- of optometry! :doh:

A friend of mine is a physician and he's very low key about it, but it sure comes in handy when meeting girls and they ask what he does. It closes the deal almost every time, not surprisingly.

Ok, now that I'm home I've looked a little deeper:

If the ADGT guys did in fact copy and paste certain sections, that's a big problem. They need to write their own rules completely, or give credit to the source.

Considering they are using the rules in a for-profit venture, giving more than credit may be in order.

Well, it's only a big problem if the PDGA chooses to make it one.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that they won't.

Well, it's only a big problem if the PDGA chooses to make it one.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that they won't.
I would hope they do. Because failing to do so once means you never can again.

It would be much better if Salient would just run it as a PDGA event, using existing rules. Reinventing the wheel is stupid.

Considering they are using the rules in a for-profit venture, giving more than credit may be in order.

There is no practical reason for the PDGA to go after them, nor would they. Could you imagine the precedent they would set? All non-sanctioned tournaments world wide would be put on notice. How would that be moving the sport forward?

There is no practical reason for the PDGA to go after them, nor would they. Could you imagine the precedent they would set? All non-sanctioned tournaments world wide would be put on notice. How would that be moving the sport forward?

Non-sanctioned events simply say they're playing by the PDGA rulebook. They're not actually rewriting a new rulebook as their own.

Kerplunk is correct, that PhD isn't often mentioned. Funny enough, Professor seems to have more merit in the scientific community; it implies that you've run a lab or at least taught.

Lyle O. Ross, PhD in Molecular Genetics.... Yawn

Even more so, from what Brian Graham said earlier, I suspect the PDGA doesn't feel threatened by this venture. Why would you make an issue out of something that doesn't impact you?

I would hope they do. Because failing to do so once means you never can again.

It would be much better if Salient would just run it as a PDGA event, using existing rules. Reinventing the wheel is stupid.

Their idea isnt stupid. Im not so sure disc golf is big enough at this juncture to support two orginizations, but the truth is that competition is never bad. Even my aforementioned example of the XFL influenced how modern NFL games are presented.

The real issue is HOW this competition is being run and by WHOM. Even rewriting rules isnt bad if they would just do it right.

To me, the crux of this whole debacle (and it is so typical of Salient) is that I feel that they were counting in ESPN holding more weight in the DG Community.

Non-sanctioned events simply say they're playing by the PDGA rulebook. They're not actually rewriting a new rulebook as their own.

Scott P no doubt knows all about the potential copyright infringement since he alluded to it in his first post here. And ADGT will most likely want to copyright their rules if they keep going down that road. Bit the easiest and best solution by far would be to just use the PDGA rules of play portion, and have an ADGT addendum (notice I didn't write "addendumb", but was tempted) listing as few as possible new "ESPN related rules". The only equipment related rule that makes sense for televised broadcasts is requiring the baskets be bright orange or red, something that really sticks out. Everything else seems like BS, including discs with holes in the middle. Those guys should take some advice and stop trying to massage their egos and get back to massaging their PT customers. ;)

Even more so, from what Brian Graham said earlier, I suspect the PDGA doesn't feel threatened by this venture. Why would you make an issue out of something that doesn't impact you?

So we can have more train wreck television to watch on this thread....duh.