• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anny Shots

attik34

Birdie Member
Just looking for some form videos that aren't that pink haired guy giving very obvious answers to how to throw anny shots. Talking most specifically about anny flex distance shots or controlled anny shots that never fade back with fairways/mids.

What should the pull like look like?

I feel like I'm forced into rounding when I throw anny's, is that how it should feel or no?

I have some issues with nose up and fading out. Anything in particular that would work on this problem?

Check out Mike C's videos at "thediscgolfvids" on YouTube. He has some pretty good tutorials.

I just skimmed through Mike's videos on my phone and didn't realize he had so many videos. Lol.
The one you might like is called "Release Angle Tutorial."

Your throwing stance should be relative to the apex as described:

All these guys are throwing distance anhyzers. Nose angle is very important or it will fade out or crash and burn. It's one of the hardest shots to get right. What works best will vary with discs and nose angles and throwing power.

Disc selection for the range and line you're going for is critical and only comes from experience. If you want to throw a true anny that holds an arc throughout the flight you want a disc that's stable. I see a lot of people trying to throw really understable discs that have a tendency to turn when thrown flat on big annies and if you do that the disc is going to turn off the arc you put it on and more than likely cut roll as it lands.

When I'm throwing a big anny that I want to hold with my Mako or my PD I try to think about how far out to the left I want my disc to go when it reaches its apex before it starts to come back and then I try to match that distance with how high I'm throwing the disc vertically. The more lateral distance you want the disc to move left to right you need more height. I hope that makes sense and the same kind of logic goes with throwing hyzers as long as youre throwing a disc that will hold the line.

1)I feel like I'm forced into rounding when I throw anny's, is that how it should feel or no?

2)I have some issues with nose up and fading out. Anything in particular that would work on this problem?

1)Go with the rounded feel. Think about pulling the disc through the apex, not just to it.

2)Adjust your spine angle, and like the guy says in disctorials, keep the disc above your shoulders. Pulling through the apex should help with this also.

Just looking for some form videos that aren't that pink haired guy giving very obvious answers to how to throw anny shots.

That's Scott Papa for you.

This is one of my favorite pictures of him. :D
team_papa04.jpg

Scott's vids are aimed more at beginners. They helped me when I was starting out. He also gave us Dalaiwood for many years, so I have nothing but good things to say about the man.

Scott's vids are aimed more at beginners. They helped me when I was starting out. He also gave us Dalaiwood for many years, so I have nothing but good things to say about the man.
Dude is gifted. I can't say enough about how much his work helped me early on.

Disc selection for the range and line you're going for is critical and only comes from experience. If you want to throw a true anny that holds an arc throughout the flight you want a disc that's stable. I see a lot of people trying to throw really understable discs that have a tendency to turn when thrown flat on big annies and if you do that the disc is going to turn off the arc you put it on and more than likely cut roll as it lands.

When I'm throwing a big anny that I want to hold with my Mako or my PD I try to think about how far out to the left I want my disc to go when it reaches its apex before it starts to come back and then I try to match that distance with how high I'm throwing the disc vertically. The more lateral distance you want the disc to move left to right you need more height. I hope that makes sense and the same kind of logic goes with throwing hyzers as long as youre throwing a disc that will hold the line.

If I'm using a stable disc and I don't have a huge arm won't the disc fight out of the anny and end up doing an "S" pattern?

If I'm using a stable disc and I don't have a huge arm won't the disc fight out of the anny and end up doing an "S" pattern?

Not necessarily.

Feldberg demonstrated this at a clinic he did out here where he had people give him 2 discs, one very overstable and one understable, to prove that it isn't necessarily the disc that dictates the shot. First, he threw the very OS disc on an exaggerated anny line and guess what? It went anny. Then he threw the understable disc on a hyzer line, and it hyzered out. Then he had some kids that were in the clinic do the same thing with the same discs, and sure enough, the same results. His point of the entire demonstration was that, with enough room to work, form can make a disc do what you want it to. Which is New's point when he says:

Yes, the kind of disc you use for the line is important, and as New also mentioned, learning what that disc is FOR YOU is also important, but ultimately form and shot shaping (distance and ceiling consideration) is just as important to getting the type of anny shot you want.