• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Disc Golf Bag Comparison Thread...with a twist!

I spent some of last summer asking players on my local courses if I could check out their bags. I found most players were not only accomadating, but proud to show off their bag.

How to afford a new bag:

Step 1. Find out local golf course green fees.
Step 2. Every time you go disc golf, set aside that money you would have had to pay, if you played golf instead.
Step 3. Play.

This is one sport that has little to no fees. Bowling, Swimming, indoor Basketball, racket ball.. etc all nickel and dime you.

If you save up what you would have spent.. $200 becomes a matter of time, not finances.

If you can't set aside money, here is how to do it based on average people's expenditures in 2 months.

$30 Cancel netflix for two months, instead rent from library, stream on abc/nbc etc.
$50 Conserve on gas, don't take any long trips to any disc golf course for 2 months, and you can save a whole tank, or more!
$120 Skip lunch. Cereal in morning is way cheaper than anything for lunch, just suffer through it, soon you adjust and don't need lunch. A lot of people spend $5-$10 for lunch every day.. that adds up a lot. I don't eat lunch at all now, around 2-3 start getting hungry.. but it is far better for you than not eating breakfast at all, and then eating lunch.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice to be able to see all of the back pack style bags in side by side comparisons offering different views of the actual bags together.

I played with a guy last weekend who had the Prodiscus bag, but it just looked too big to me. I saw it sitting next to a grip and it looked about 12 inches wider than a Grip.

I would like to see some pics of a Grip next to a Spinal Tap, IMHO those look like the two most functional/ comfortable/ durable ones on the market and i also like the idea of them being fab'd in the US.

Can anyone get us a picture of a Spinal Tap next to a Grip?

I think it would be nice to be able to see all of the back pack style bags in side by side comparisons offering different views of the actual bags together.

I played with a guy last weekend who had the Prodiscus bag, but it just looked too big to me. I saw it sitting next to a grip and it looked about 12 inches wider than a Grip.

I would like to see some pics of a Grip next to a Spinal Tap, IMHO those look like the two most functional/ comfortable/ durable ones on the market and i also like the idea of them being fab'd in the US.

Can anyone get us a picture of a Spinal Tap next to a Grip?

I can agree the Prodiscus is WAY bigger than the Grip. I messed with my buddies Grip during a round a month ago, and just wasn't impressed with the storage space. I just received my Prodiscus today, and I am VERY happy with the amount of storage. The thing is HUGE (i'm a big guy, I carry EVERYTHING with me, so it's cool)

I do find it funny that the average cost for my college text books was around $300 and carrying 4-5 of them for a day in a $40 jansport backpack listlessly thrown over one shoulder, but carrying $100 worth of discs and I need to make sure their not flopping around or squishing each other and that its perfectly cradled into the small of my back using both straps.

I also never carried my books on anything but sidewalks and never longer than about 20 min. Not the 4+ hours of constant use/abuse on a disc golf course.

I'm having a similar issue. I really like the materials and storage offered by the PF Contender, but I am also intrigued by the new take on backpacks with the BH Ergo. I'm hoping there will be some comparisons as well once these get to market.

No it's not too expensive for me, thanks though. Try looking at the cost for gear bags for other sports and tell me they aren't ripping you off.

Do you know how many thousands and thousands of bags those companies run at once? The cost of material shrinks as your purchase quantities increase. Are any of those handmade in the US?

You're ragging on a disc golf company run by disc golfers who produce handmade products in the US for disc golfers. A company who then turns around and sponsor the events you participate in. I think Grip threw in 5k or so for this year's KCWO. Is that not worth the extra money to support? I bet their profit margin isn't as big as you'd like to imagine as well...

Do you know how many thousands and thousands of bags those companies run at once? The cost of material shrinks as your purchase quantities increase. Are any of those handmade in the US?

You're ragging on a disc golf company run by disc golfers who produce handmade products in the US for disc golfers. A company who then turns around and sponsor the events you participate in. I think Grip threw in 5k or so for this year's KCWO. Is that not worth the extra money to support? I bet their profit margin isn't as big as you'd like to imagine as well...

Im not pointing to one company in particular, there are other backpack style bags in the $200 range. I understand supply and demand has alot to do with it, but yeah I dont want to pay that much for a bag even though I can afford to. Hopefully over the years the prices will drop as the sport becomes bigger and the demand becomes greater.

Does anyone know the weight of all the different bags? All I can find is the weight of the Mahal and the revolution bags.

owned!
I tried to start my own bag company over the past couple years. There is probably a $5k investment alone on sewing machines (depending on your resource availability). Cost of material is only cheap if you buy massive quantities. Business only pay a slight amount less then the average consumer, maybe 20% at first couple tiers. Without factoring in anything other than cost of materials for the individual bag your looking at 100-150% return per bag, now add in the man-hours, utilities, shipping, cost of machinery, etc. Now your figure is more realistically ~40-50% profit margin. And that only improves as the quantity you sell grows.
Prototypes are not cheap either. And take alot of time and effort to get a quality design.
Now compare that to a bigger company. I used to work for a large Chicago land company. Its average profit margin was 400% per item all factors included. They made millions a year. But at the beginning their profit margins were tiny. And I am sure Walmarts profit margins are in the thousands %.
Disc Golf is still small. These companies are building the first floor. Support them and in the not so distant futures you'll probably still see Grip and Voodoo still here working with everyone else on the second floor.