• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Disc Golf Bag Comparison Thread...with a twist!

Webslinger

Par Member
OK, so I've been reading through numerous threads on DGCR about the different disc golf bags on the market currently; especially the backpack style bags like Grip, ProDiscus, Physical Flight, Big Hyzer, DD, etc. The nice thing is there are a lot of choices out there.
Of course I'm in the market and have had my sights set on a Grip bag. With all the reading I've done thus far, I'm still inclined towards the Grip bag, but not as much as I was when I first started my research.
The one thing I wish I could do, and some of you seem to have had the opportunity to do, is to see several of these bags up front and in person. To look them over, try them on, check the pockets, zippers, seams, fabric/construction, etc. Seems my choice has to be made based on pics of the bags themselves and the feedback I read on this forum.
I only play the local tournaments in my area. Have never been to a major tournament like the Memorial, Beaver State Fling, Vegas or of course USDGC, but it seems like these major tournaments attract vendors like these disc golf bag companies. Is that the best place, the only place really, that a person can see a variety of bags in person?
And since I'm in Utah, is there or will there be a tournament close enough and big enough to have these vendors onsite?

i really like the Grip, i havent ever felt i need more space, the only one that interests me is the voodoo spinal tap, if only it had some heavy duty feet or tracks like the grip

Thats the one think i loved about my grip. Those plastic feet keep your bag pretty much completely off the ground. pretty nice

i really like the Grip, i havent ever felt i need more space, the only one that interests me is the voodoo spinal tap, if only it had some heavy duty feet or tracks like the grip

I refuse to pay $200+ for a backpack.. Absolutely way to expensive for what you're getting.

^^The PF Contender is much cheaper, and looks like it's high quality.

I refuse to pay $200+ for a backpack.. Absolutely way
too expensive for me.

FTFY.

OP, the Grip is a great bag, I've owned mine for over a year and she's holding up great!
I've tried on a ProDiscus and a GB backpack (not sure which one, but it has a seat/cushion on the top). All 3 felt great on my back, but the Grip has plenty of storage for me (I don't haul a ton of stuff when I play)

Regardless of what you choose, a backpack bag feels great on the back!

OK, so I've been reading through numerous threads on DGCR about the different disc golf bags on the market currently; especially the backpack style bags like Grip, ProDiscus, Physical Flight, Big Hyzer, DD, etc. The nice thing is there are a lot of choices out there.
Of course I'm in the market and have had my sights set on a Grip bag. With all the reading I've done thus far, I'm still inclined towards the Grip bag, but not as much as I was when I first started my research.
The one thing I wish I could do, and some of you seem to have had the opportunity to do, is to see several of these bags up front and in person. To look them over, try them on, check the pockets, zippers, seams, fabric/construction, etc. Seems my choice has to be made based on pics of the bags themselves and the feedback I read on this forum.
I only play the local tournaments in my area. Have never been to a major tournament like the Memorial, Beaver State Fling, Vegas or of course USDGC, but it seems like these major tournaments attract vendors like these disc golf bag companies. Is that the best place, the only place really, that a person can see a variety of bags in person?
And since I'm in Utah, is there or will there be a tournament close enough and big enough to have these vendors onsite?

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been hoping to get some insight on this as well.

Right now I'm torn between the sexiness of the Grip bag and the durability of the PF Contender.

:popcorn:

The question seems not to be "what bag should I get?" Instead it's "how can I see these bags in person?"

Even at the biggest tournaments, you don't generally see bag vendors. Dynamic Discs mobilizes their store for a lot of the big events, so you can find some of theirs, but there's no one-stop shop for comparing different bags.

All my hands-on experience with different bags has been at various local tournaments, just looking at the different bags being used.

The question seems not to be "what bag should I get?" Instead it's "how can I see these bags in person?"

Even at the biggest tournaments, you don't generally see bag vendors. Dynamic Discs mobilizes their store for a lot of the big events, so you can find some of theirs, but there's no one-stop shop for comparing different bags.

All my hands-on experience with different bags has been at various local tournaments, just looking at the different bags being used.

Exactly, and thank you for answering my question. Sounds like a need to do more traveling to tournaments in my area to see various products. Be a little more patient and I'll see some of these bags for myself.

It would be nice to touch all the bags to compare them , I don't even buy discs online cuz I want to see them in my hand .

Never been to a big tourney , would like to drive down for the Fling in Oregon this year . It's only 7-8 hours away :| I'd love to see a bunch of vendors lined up showing off the best of their ware .

Keep hoping one of these threads will have someone having them all lined up for comparison . Perhaps with comments such as " this one is for this type of discer and that one would suit someone who...."

But I think Kilgus has the one I want for tourneys . i built one With what I could then got one of the last Cabellas . Cabellas ok but I'm starting to see the point of a REAL disc pack but $200 is too much for me to spend .

No it's not too expensive for me, thanks though. Try looking at the cost for gear bags for other sports and tell me they aren't ripping you off.

Those other sport's gear bags are probably made in China.

Just sayin'.

I do find it funny that the average cost for my college text books was around $300 and carrying 4-5 of them for a day in a $40 jansport backpack listlessly thrown over one shoulder, but carrying $100 worth of discs and I need to make sure their not flopping around or squishing each other and that its perfectly cradled into the small of my back using both straps.

I do find it funny that the average cost for my college text books was around $300 and carrying 4-5 of them for a day in a $40 jansport backpack listlessly thrown over one shoulder, but carrying $100 worth of discs and I need to make sure their not flopping around or squishing each other and that its perfectly cradled into the small of my back using both straps.

funny how that works :hfive:

No it's not too expensive for me, thanks though. Try looking at the cost for gear bags for other sports and tell me they aren't ripping you off.

It's also about supply and demand. Most other bags are made for a much larger consumer base by much larger companies. As disc golf grows, prices will fall.

So, where does one buy a Prodiscus disc golf bag online? Is Marshall Street Disc Golf the only retailer?

Exactly, and thank you for answering my question. Sounds like a need to do more traveling to tournaments in my area to see various products. Be a little more patient and I'll see some of these bags for myself.

leagues is another great place as well. and not as much of a finical burden. the only place I have ever seen all the vendors with their stuff is at Worlds. And would probably be the one and only place to see them all is at the Worlds Flymart.

Everyone thinks they're getting ripped off when it comes to their sport. Ten years ago Ogio golf bags were $150+ and that wasn't even top of the line. It's not surprising to me I had to drop $200 on a Grip this winter when I wanted a great bag. It's a business. There is markup. There is supply and demand. When the market becomes more saturated than it is prices will have to become more competitive. So.....either pay the two hundred now or wait a few years and pay the same price then for a slightly better bag. It's not going to change much regardless. They're going to be in the $150-$250 range probably a long time.

I would have paid $500 for my Golf Mahal.

:popcorn: