• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Great Use for Vinyl & Plotter

yawpstang64

Double Eagle Member
Just thought all the dyers, especially those with plotters, might want to check this out: http://www.armourproducts.com/ecom-catshow/Armour_Etch.html

Easy and cheap glass etching. Just mask off any glass with vinyl just like you would to dye, paint on a bit of this cream, and its etched in a couple minutes.

It'd be pretty awesome to have custom dg pint glasses for tourney prizes, club swag, or really anything else.
It's mainly available online, but some Joanns may have it in store too.

Yup. The only problem is that the etching can be inconsistent over larger areas. It's best to etch thinner lines.

13291_415968810481_638725481_5697148_6022759_n.jpg

13291_416505060481_638725481_5714286_1959217_n.jpg

24056_418252195481_638725481_5754483_1693121_n.jpg

Does it actually etch the glass, or just give it a frosted look? I noticed that it doesn't work on hard glass(pyrex) or plastics, so off-hand I would think it just reacts to the lead in the soft glass and not actually remove a quantifiable amount of glass.

There is a noticeable texture difference, but no real loss of material.
If you move the cream around a couple times in the 5 min etch period, then the etching will be more consistent.

There is a noticeable texture difference, but no real loss of material.
If you move the cream around a couple times in the 5 min etch period, then the etching will be more consistent.
That's what I've been doing. Usually I do this in bulk. Brush all of them horizontally and then vertically.

There was a dollar store in town that was selling HUGE beer mugs. Like double the size of a normal mug. I bought a flat of them. They sell easily for $20 at craft shows.

Dollar store is the best for bulk glassware :D
I have two of the giant steins and a dozen pints, which are surprisingly nice.

Two points of difficulty. The Oracal didn't stick to the canvas very well and weeding all the little details after the paint was applied.

The top one was Simply Spray aerosol. It covered really well but you have to make sure that everything is covered as it sprays all over. I had little black dots all over my legs. The texture when dried feels very much like a slick vinyl.

The bottom one was just ordinary fabric paint applied with a brush. It took longer to apply but it's much more accurate.

I found it was easier to let the paint set a few hours before weeding out the vinyl. With the spray I couldn't even see the vinyl until the paint dried out a bit.

I think I'm just going to start screenprinting.

The first attempt was semi-disastrous. I had no idea the aerosol fabric paint would spray the way it did.

Then I tried to week with the paint still wet. It screwed up poor Bill's left eye.

il_570xN.300754634.jpg

hey zenny, can we get a link to your etsy account?

also, I am still waiting on my pic of you in a luchador mask...

White mixer I bought my wife. Plotted some butterfly swirls as a mask, purple spray paint, and lacquer to finish it off.
IMAG0421.jpg

Latest posts