• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

another rules question

magictenor1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
The course I play at regularly has a hole where you shoot at a basket on a peninsula and there is of course water in play. I feel like I understand the surrounded by water rule but I am not sure about this situation. There are tall weeds all around the edge of the lake and it is very swampy. It is very possible to have your disc land on weeds and have the weeds (at their base) totally in the water or have the disc partially in the water but held up by the weeds. this is swampy water where you might sink up to your ankles in muddy water. What would be the test to determine OB in this type of area?

A disc being OB is not determined by being in the water itself but by the vertical plane extending upward from the edge of the water and land (if the OB line is not marked by stakes like it should be). If your disc is completely on the water side of that plane, you are OB regardless whether your disc is partly suspended above water by a rock or plants.

not marked by stakes. I understand your answer but my question is really how do I determine where the water stops and the land starts. I am talking about an area that could be very wet when there have been rains but could also be only muddy if there has not been any rain.

That's the problem with water line OBs. There is no good answer when the shoreline varies and is not sharply defined. At minimum, TDs should put wire flags to mark the OB for events with ill-defined water OB lines. One way it's been done for these situations is to press the disc down and see if there is water surrounding it versus touching land or mud. Then the group makes the call.

that is definitely the problem. I could see 2 people looking at the same lie and one saying Ob and one not. this is not a tournament situation but I like to play the rules regardless. we are hoping to get the tall grass cut and I think that would make the determination a lot easier but we probably need to get a line drawn for clarity. I did take a stroke penalty but part of me was thinking this could be considered to be on land.

Latest posts