• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another stupid poll

What to do?

• Respect your partner if you're playing for cash, keep it reasonable.

Votes: 95 84.8%
  • Have another!!!

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Ugh, another poll?

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Did you search before posting a new thread?

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
No it isn't his "right". Being drunk in public and in most cases having open containers in public parks is quite literally not within your rights. I realize that your opinion that dubz is for socializing and partying is shared by a number of disc golfers which is why i don't play dubz anymore. As far as the OP goes, had i been put in the same situation as the older timer mentioned i would have left my partner too.

Oh sorry I keep forgetting that you arent allowed to drink in public places over there. It would be well within his rigths here as long as he does not try to drive home himself afterwards.

If my hard earned cash is on the line you better believe I would be ticked if my partner got tanked or stoned. :mad:

You know you guys are really beginning to scare me. I thought this would be a good family activity for me to participate in with my wife and 14 year old daughter but if public intoxication, drug use and fist fights (posted about in another thread) are the norm I'm beginning to have reservations. This is not the kind of crap I want my family around.

I used to think disc golfers were laid back, friendly, easy going folks just out to enjoy nature, some exercise and a good time. Now I'm actually having serious reservations about getting involved in this sport at all. :confused:

I may just stick to shooting guns. Gun owners seem to be a lot more responsible.

This is absolutely not the norm and you will see very little of it in the sport. Sure there will be those groups that have a few drinks while playing, but if you aren't comfortable with that, there's always other groups who are like you and looking to have a good fun family time or just don't want to drink and disc. As far a gun owners being more responsible, I played a round with a guy who told us he once carried his gun ON the course during a round WHILE drinking. So all I have to say is there are people in any social circle who (IMO) are less than desirable to socialize with. They are, however, easy to avoid and not often encountered in my experience

Disrespect begets Disrespect

Why should he finish the round? Is it required? Its his right to not play anymore at anytime. It's also the other persons right to get drunk. Our choices affect others.

Oddly, I don't find others idea of fun, because it differs from mine, disrespectful. Perhaps our drunkard friend finds uber competative, judgemental partners disrespectful. Tolerance and the perseverance to simply have fun, regardless of circumstances, is the underlying goal, isn't it?

When im playing with my friends, sure we bring beer and some may spark it up but i find that the days that i partake are the days i do ****ty, so when leagues come around i dont bring anything like that with me... but then ocfourse everyone else is doing it and im still not doing better than most so at this point i may succumb to peer pressure lol... but atleast im TRYING to hold back.

but yes if i was competing in finals i would be pretty pissed if my partner had more than 1 beer or sparked a pipe.

I drink during league nights.... Although I do have a 4ish beer limit, Thats when my I dont give a Sh*t kicks in. Stop crying over spilt milk.
I think both parties are probably at fault on the LAME scale. Do I think you should trip nuts playing disc golf? If your on my team and banging putts Why not! That trashed guy made it into a playoff. Do I think you should do illegal activities infront of people that arent Absolutely cool with it, Why lord no! Its disrespectful and still illegal HA! Its a black eye on the sport and its not going anywhere. That long time golfer knows that. Remember you dont own the course, if you do.. Then you make the rules!
About the kat that left. He's a quitter plain and simple! Be the bigger person.

Situation arose at random dubs last night.

Longtime area golfer gets paired with a partier, who quickly gets hammered* along with the other team on the card. He's pissed the entire round, and even though he's tied for last cash, leaves his partner, who is forced to play off without him.

*Hammered - The other card were both 950+ rated local pros. Tied for first. Both missed a 20' putt on the first hole of the playoff. Badly.

The question:

Is the old guy overreacting, or should the young buck have cut back some since they were playing for money?

Caveat:

Had they finished 2 strokes better, they would have taken 1st place outright.

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating...

but in SF here we have a rule named for a local player who is known for consuming in excess during dubs...and the rule basically states that if you are too drunk/high/etc. to continue playing you must quit and refund your partner his/her entry fee. That partner may finish the round Cali (and should they cash they are not required to split it). If you don't follow through on the rule you are banned from dubs.

Edit for re-reading the OP: so it was the sober one who quit...interesting. That's a trickier situation because it means that it's a culture issue at this particular event, as opposed to my example. Here we are all pretty competitive, and overall it's just a couple of people who get that lit during the round...most of us really want to win each week so we keep it in check or don't consume at all.

Last edited:
Oddly, I don't find others idea of fun, because it differs from mine, disrespectful. Perhaps our drunkard friend finds uber competative, judgemental partners disrespectful. Tolerance and the perseverance to simply have fun, regardless of circumstances, is the underlying goal, isn't it?

Its a two way street. Our drunk friend obviously is not putting the same effort forth his sober partner. If our drunk friend wants his "right to drink" to be tolerated then he should also tolerate another persons choice to stop playing with him.... because he is drunk.

If you're playing this game to make money, you're in it for the wrong reason- PERIOD. More so in regards to random draw doubles, as you can't pick your partner. Old dude could have just as easily drawn a naturally weak player and would have had no chance to win. If losing $5 in a random draw event upsets you, find another way to spend your dough.

That said, getting sloppy drunk in public is not acceptable.

What is the difference of being paired with a drunk guy or an 820 rated guy? In random dubs you may get stuck with a partner who doesn't play well, and whether that is due to inebriation or lack of skill seems irrelevant.

Also, I am rated ~930 and I am pretty confident I could play hammered and beat 850 rated players all day, although I am a 1000 rated drinker. So if my partner choice was a drunk pro vs a sober am I would take the drunk pro, even if they missed 20 ft playoff putts.

I guess my overall feeling is that there is no obligation to play well in random dubs, just the obligation to not be an ass. And it is possible to be drunk without being an ass, although it is harder.

Last edited:
I guess I could use my own experience to answer. The first year I played in the Ice Bowl I cashed. The last 2 times I got paired up with partiers. In fact the one year my partner could barely walk and fell a few times. While I didn't join the drinking, I said to myself, oh well, c'est la vie. So I gave up any notion of cashing. Instead I just went with the flow played the best I could and said there's always next year.

Every time I have that frisbee in my hand my number one goal is to have fun. So I did and I do.

Great perspective.

:clap:
I guess my overall feeling is that there is no obligation to play well in random dubs, just the obligation to not be an ass. And it is possible to be drunk without being an ass, although it is harder.

I think quitting is much worse. Especially after knowing you're in a playoff. Total Richard move. It would be funny if the drunk guy was carrying the team.

You wanna get wasted during a casual solo round or with friends that are OK with it (even if money's on the line): no problem. Doing so in a random draw dubs league is just disrespectful to your partner. Dude has every right to be pissed. I'd rather have a n00b (who at least tried) for a partner than a "skilled" player who got sh**faced. [/QUOTE said:
Thats pretty much it.

Personally I would rather play with a noob who tried his best and played poorly than a drunken idiot who doesn't respect my time or the game. But that's just me. Something I have always stressed to my daughter is I don't care if she is a super star or not but I do expect her to give whatever it is she is attempting, whether it's school, sports or chores, her very best effort.

Latest posts