• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else have a problem with people throwing your disc back at you?

I have seen it numerous times.... Please try to remember that when someone throws ur disc back, they are doing so in all kindness.... kinda like throwing back an errant basketball, soccer ball, etc.

I've seen (even casual golfers) get totally bent out of shape from someone merely p/u their disc.... One case that always comes to mind was when a very small child (maybe 4 or 5 yrs old) p/u a casual guys drive and the dude proceeds to yell and scream @ the kid to put it down... poor kid ran off crying to his parents....needless to say I got pissed and sure wish I would mentioned somethin' the the guy and apologized the kid for that happening.... some people take disc golf waaaaaayyy to seriously :confused:

The stranger ace... LOL. My buddy & I always joke abt. trianing our dogs to p/u our drives (on blind holes) and proceed to put them in the basket for us. Would u call that a "dog gone ace"?
how about fore leg'd ace?

Yeah, like others I've had some lil Latinos try and throw my disc back. Usually their mothers will scream something in espanol at them and they'll run away from the disc. My favorite experience disc golfing at a park with a walking path is when I throw an awfully weak drive for me like 200' and some old timer will complement my throw fully oblivious to me swearing like a sailor under my breath.

If I've thrown the disc OB, particular over a creek with no nearby accessible bridge, they're more than welcome to throw it back. Hell, I'd throw them a dollar back for their trouble if I could get one that far. Maybe I should start carrying a few dollar coins around.

If it was a non-dg'er, there'd probably be more of a chance it would go in the creek rather than over it when they throw it back. Or you could give them the quick Dan Beato driving clinic, but at that point they'd probably throw it in the creek on purpose...

If you're lucky they pick it up and put it in the basket. Any disc that is moved by a non-player plays where they leave it.

This opens up a brand new ace discussion. The Stranger Ace.

Sorry, not true. See below.

I was playing a course that played around a walking path. On one of the last holes, after throwing my drive and walking to my lie, an older man picked up my disc (very close to the walking path) and proceeded walking towards me. He said, "What do you do....throw them then chase them?" I wasn't upset by the fact that he picked it up, he simply didn't know what DG was so I briefly explained it to him and then threw from where I thought my original lie was.

Does anyone know the ruling if this were to happen in a sanctioned tourney? Do you just guess where your lie was and throw from there?

PDGA Rule 803.07 Interference

A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. Alternatively, for intentional interference only, the thrower has the option of taking a re-throw. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could interfere
with his or her throw.

B. If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If
a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official.

I'd like to thank everyone who weighed in on this issue for your insights and experiences. Especially important was the advice on not screaming at people and the official rules on what to do about it.

Sorry, not true. See below.

PDGA Rule 803.07 Interference

A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. Alternatively, for intentional interference only, the thrower has the option of taking a re-throw. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could interfere
with his or her throw.

B. If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If
a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official.
Ahh! Thanks for the post. The local elders were wrong!

Latest posts