• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever not have anyone else to play with?

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Just curious to see if it's me. I try to get people up for rounds, but no luck. I know a bunch of people, but still nothing. I've asked if it's me, if I smell, whatever. Everyone says, "No, there's nothing wrong with you...yada yada yada."

Just want to see if anyone else experiences this. :wall:

Daniel

go down to the course and play solo.
this allows you to throw and experiment.

or

you can meet new people to play with.

it's not always as bad as it seems.

It was how/why the sport was invented, Steady Ed didn't have anyone to throw Frisbee with so he started playing frisbee golf.

go down to the course and play solo.
this allows you to throw and experiment.

or

you can meet new people to play with.

it's not always as bad as it seems.

Thanks, dj.

I do. Problem is that when I do see people I know on the course, they offer to let me play through and not join in. I've asked before to join in, only to be told no, they're either 1) too big of a group (5-some); or 2) they're playing dubs (non-tourney) and I'd be the odd man out.

I experiment on the course a lot, which has allowed me to increase my game. I've asked local pros to help in certain areas where I need help and was told sure but never received the help. (I was told, "we'll do it later...")

It may seem like I'm being dramatic about it, but I don't think so. I don't partake in certain activities, so maybe that's what has kept me on the outs. Who knows. Whatever it is, it sucks.

Now that's interesting about Steady Ed. I didn't know that one...

There are lots of times when my dog is the only one who wants to go to the course with me, but I don't mind some time to have the course to myself and work on my game.

Up in SF I don't know that many people yet so I usually trek out to the course alone. Though I hate speaking in generalities, one of the cool things about disc golf is the people who play are generally chill. Even though I go out alone most of the time, there's usually a group which invites me to play the round with them. You get to meet some interesting people that way.

Thanks, dj.

I do. Problem is that when I do see people I know on the course, they offer to let me play through and not join in. I've asked before to join in, only to be told no, they're either 1) too big of a group (5-some); or 2) they're playing dubs (non-tourney) and I'd be the odd man out.

I experiment on the course a lot, which has allowed me to increase my game. I've asked local pros to help in certain areas where I need help and was told sure but never received the help. (I was told, "we'll do it later...")

It may seem like I'm being dramatic about it, but I don't think so. I don't partake in certain activities, so maybe that's what has kept me on the outs. Who knows. Whatever it is, it sucks.

Now that's interesting about Steady Ed. I didn't know that one...

sorry to hear that man. It might just be your area of the country. Different places have different vibes, when I'm home in Louisiana there's less of a comraderie on my home course unless it's one of the people from the BRDGA. I'm trying to figure out why the southern hospitality doesn't extend to the course...but some people...

For instance, two days ago my brother and I were playing the long tees at Highland Road Park. Now nobody plays the long tees, and only about 13 of the 18 are still there. Regardless, we're teeing off on hole 1 and just as we get done throwing and start walking this guy walks up to the regular tees and throws a shot. He watched us throw on the hole, and without breaking a stride starts playing. He doesn't say a word to us. I'm lining up my 2nd throw and he walks right in front of me up to his disc and proceeds to finish the hole and walk off, again the whole time not saying a word.

We eventually passed him again though, because he threw his disc into a creek and went swimming for it, so justice was served.

Long story short, I feel for ya man. Hope you find a cool group to disc with.

I will go by myself occasionally, but up here in Wisconsin most folks are pretty friendly & will ask to join you or let you join up with them. It's always cool to meet new folks on the course.

Long story short, I feel for ya man. Hope you find a cool group to disc with.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I kinda wish I could throw a round or two with some people from here. Seem to be a lot less clique-ish than people here. I thought high school was 20 years ago...maybe not...:doh:

dont sweat it... playing solo for me is more relaxing and i can play at my own pace. the more people i play with in a group, the slower the pace. i like to turn and burn , throw and go, more holes to be played that way. if you want to play with people, play your local tourneys, meet folks. the more people you meet and get to know, the easier it will be. dont worry about it too much, just play and have fun

dont sweat it... playing solo for me is more relaxing and i can play at my own pace. the more people i play with in a group, the slower the pace. i like to turn and burn , throw and go, more holes to be played that way. if you want to play with people, play your local tourneys, meet folks. the more people you meet and get to know, the easier it will be. dont worry about it too much, just play and have fun

I agree with you. I do play faster than most folks. I like to throw multiple shots to practice certain types of throws and certain holes. I can get through most courses in well under an hour, longer courses about 90 mins.

I have played a bunch of tourneys and like to play in weeklies that are in the area. It just sucks when I play weeklies, 'cause the people running it put all the "friends" together and then women, rec, and my partner and I are together. Even some of my past partners have asked what was up. No idea...Just shows how juvenile some people can be...

Daniel

Sometimes. My 2 local buddies are fairweather players and I travel a lot. I find playing alone let's me slow down and practice more though. I think it helps me to go solo once in a while.

I almost always play alone, I kind of prefer it. There are times I enjoy playing with others. I had a blast getting to meet fellow DGCR's on my last road trip. So I keep it balanced. If it was me, in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about what they think. Be cordial, and just play through.

On the other hand....

They may have been waiting for you to ask. I would be more inclined to just let you ask, if you had walked up. If you wanted to play with me or my group, then I would assume that you would ask. There are times when a group playing, may not want other players to join. Not for the sake of rudeness, but perhaps it's a few of old friends playing. A third wheel could make the rehashing of old memories a little awkward, or whatever the situation could be. So I wouldn't take it personal. If you want some people to play with, try recruiting some of your friends to the sport.

There is a time I will ask if a person wants to join up, and that's if I see another player out by themselves.

They may have been waiting for you to ask. I would be more inclined to just let you ask, if you had walked up. If you wanted to play with me or my group, then I would assume that you would ask.

On many different occasions, I did ask. That's what was kinda wierd. I always also make it a point to ask if a solo person or two wants to join in. I think I may have just gotten the "reputation" of playing solo, as I always used to because I didn't know anyone. Then, it just morphed into this. Strange.

Thanks for the input.

I almost always play alone. I have played with alot of people on here and have recently been playing alot with Jrawk, but still I usually play solo.

I play better alone for the most part. I usually do head to the course alone and always seem to meet someone there.

when ever im at a course and im with one other person or more and theres one person soloing it ill always ask if they want to join in it makes it more fun when u meet new ppl to play with

Well, if any of you guys move to KY, just shoot me a note and we'll head out to throw. I'm always open to meeting new people and certainly playing!

Just show up and play. I put my headphones on and go into my little world. Who knows, you might meet someone. We met a guy playing solo once, and invited him to play with us. Now, he joins us every week for rounds, and one of the guys I play with, and him are now best friends.

Best way of meeting other golfers is to get involved with a local club (or start one) or play some area tournaments.

Living in a small city, which by some perspectives here would be a small town, I can understand the frustration some folks have with finding others to play with, but the beauty of this game is if all else fails you don't need a partner. Just hit the course on your own.

Latest posts