• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone heard of this 16yr old distance record holder?

I see no difference between physically going to HS and being homeschooled. You get a diploma either way, right? All that time he has on his hands now would have just been spent staring at his phone pretending to read and pay attention in school anyway.

Reading that article was painful. Leaving HS in favor of home schooling so he can have more time to focus on disc golf? That doesn't sound like the best idea.

Doesn't seem to have the smartest parents. :wall:

Current rating is 937 a huge jump from 901 from back in August 2012.

Wysocki was home-schooled and lived across the street from a course. His school day was over at lunch and he'd spend all afternoon practicing according to a PDGA mag article a few years back

#1xworldchamp #MPOwinstreak

Yes. The Jenkin's home course. Cleveland is where champions are from.

Lots of people do great in life that are home schooled. They get better than average ACT scores for example. More power to him IMO.

Looks like this kid Austin might have a chance at being the next Paul/Ricky if he puts together the whole game, learns course management and is strong mentally. He definitely has the opportunity to do the most important thing: practice like crazy!

seventeen year old kid in a twenty five year old's body.

homeschooling is cool.

why waste time with all the politics and fan club of high school.

as for a distance record. I'm not ruling anyone out.

But I always bet against the hype.

google jarvis if you want to see big distance.

It's one thing to sacrifice education chasing after professional aspirations in a sport that pays millions.

However even some pro football players have to find employment after their career is over.

Hopefully these kids (and their parents) who think they're going to have a career in professional disc golf, have some sort of back up plan after they've made their tens of thousands of dollars.

Like what is Wysocki going to do after he turns 50?

Team Manager making $40,000?

Like what is Wysocki going to do after he turns 50?

Team Manager making $40,000?

If it makes him happy, what's wrong with that? You think that every person who has backup plans for the future is eventually successful (whatever that means to you)? If so, you haven't lived in reality. Thanks for being so reductive, but perhaps pursuing your passion, which does provide you some quality of life, is success. It beats the heck outta internet authority.

Considering there is no 401K or retirement plans for professional disc golfers, I would hope that some of these kids coming up don't expect to get rich off of disc golf.

Not everyone can make McBeth money.

Even Climo had a real job.

Education is important unless you want to be delivering pizzas at 60 years old.

Off Topic, but:

What is/was Climo's real job? I have always been curious.

That kid is decent sized but not ridiculous. My girlfriends 16 year old is 6'3 and a solid 220 and does not work out. Some people are just big

If it makes him happy, what's wrong with that? You think that every person who has backup plans for the future is eventually successful (whatever that means to you)? If so, you haven't lived in reality. Thanks for being so reductive, but perhaps pursuing your passion, which does provide you some quality of life, is success. It beats the heck outta internet authority.

Kids can't eat passion. If you want to be deprived of life's greatest joy you can feel free to chase your dreams. The rest of us work soul killing jobs so we can experience fatherhood.

Unless he has a trust fund that is. In America a trust fund earns you the right to chase your dreams :thmbup:

I see no difference between physically going to HS and being homeschooled. You get a diploma either way, right? All that time he has on his hands now would have just been spent staring at his phone pretending to read and pay attention in school anyway.

....As long as it is home schooled done right. I've seen folks who have done it well and those who haven't. I think this is part of why people are so divided on this.

That kid is decent sized but not ridiculous. My girlfriends 16 year old is 6'3 and a solid 220 and does not work out. Some people are just big
In 8th grade we had a kid that was 6', ~210 lbs. It was hilarious to watch at wrestling meets. He was bigger than either of our coaches.

Calm down buddy, I live in reality everyday.

I would argue that being a touring disc golf pro isn't "reality".

I can agree that pursuing a passion can be seen as success, maybe not financially speaking, but certainly in the sense of actualizing your dreams.

One of the biggest arguments for public education is social skills. The number one determiner for success is communication.

No one runs a biology lab or a chemistry lab at home. If your model for success is taking tests, go for it. If your model is a diverse education, go to high school.

Doing something that makes you happy is highly underrated. We are so focused on money and item acquisition that we haven't stopped to look at how unhappy we are. Least satisfied first world country out there.

Calm down buddy, I live in reality everyday.

I would argue that being a touring disc golf pro isn't "reality".

I can agree that pursuing a passion can be seen as success, maybe not financially speaking, but certainly in the sense of actualizing your dreams.

Yep! I know dozens of college educated individuals pushing coffee. This career path can't be much worse.

Latest posts