• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone playing superclass?

299622_129839730449319_2077492728_n.jpg

320939_129839473782678_1041582872_n.jpg

Not just for freestyle anymore!

(I would love to play in a Superclass event!)

Got in a super round after work. I think part of the attraction is it's a simple elemental form of golf. You aren't looking for a specific disc for a specific shot, if the disc did't do what you wanted then it's your fault. I've always been into disc minimalism. SC goes well with that.

As an aside...that polecat is 98g....holy glide batman!

golf night-2 by Dom, on Flickr

I think that's what I like so much about Superclass and throwing rounds with 165g and 141g Whamos- the simplicity. I wish there was more interest in superclass and vintage disc golf- I really prefer playing that way. More in line with what I think of as fun and challenging!

Played a round with my Yikun Ultipro which is now superclass approved. I was bollocks putting with it but managed to post a not atrocious score. Pretty funky to hear that big thunk when it hits on the rim.

I could see this being fun but basically all of my main shots don't work with a giant lid.

I haven't played with a true superclass disc in a while... though I admit it is really fun...

I do use a condor as my main thrower which is kinda close :|
Anyway, the condor is a great disc... I do like the te moko (sp?) and I think I also have a zephyr... I agree, these discs are amazing and really help out in a round

What makes a disc Superclass? I'm just wondering why lids like the Condor don't make the cut. Also interesting to note that according to the PDGA, Superclass rounds have separate ratings. Anyone in here rated for Superclass?

What makes a disc Superclass? I'm just wondering why lids like the Condor don't make the cut. Also interesting to note that according to the PDGA, Superclass rounds have separate ratings. Anyone in here rated for Superclass?

Someone can correct me, but I believe Superclass has to do with both the diameter and the edge of the disc. Big diameter discs + no beveled edge = Superclass.

The Condor, while a large diameter, is a beveled-edge disc. The Zephyr, and pretty much any old-school frisbee, is not beveled.

The Condor isn't a lid. It's just large diameter. Same goes for the Jaguar.
"Condor is a lid" is a DGCR urban legend. It has been posted on this site so many times it's almost impossible to correct at this point. :\

Those discs were much less stable than discs today, so you had to put a lot of hyzer angle on them to delay them from turning over as long as possible. I've attached a photo of me throwing a thumber from ~1980 that shows the hyzer angle I often used (in disc golf as well as distance). Interestingly, the top distance throwers at that time often kept their discs on ice in an ice chest until it was their turn to throw. Discs back then were more flexible than most discs today and it was thought that stiffer discs would go farther (though I'm not sure that belief is really true). It was very windy when Kirkland broke the record in 1978 in Dallas, with gusts up to about 40 mph. Even though it was so windy, that didn't automatically mean that they would go significantly farther unless thrown at the proper angle because such gusty winds would commonly cause downdrafts, much like wind shear can cause a plane to crash in high winds. .
By the time I started playing the beveled discs were common and the lids were like a cruel joke the really good players would play on us. "Try throwing one of these..." The really common thought around here was that if you actually could throw, you could throw a big light lid. If you couldn't throw a lid, you really were not going to get that good. That's probably a gross oversimplification, but the older Frisbee guys I played with back then had a much better understanding of where their disc was going than players like me without the Frisbee background did. As I got older, I never gained that understanding of where the disc was going that those guys had. Superclass doesn't completely replicate that Frisbee experience (the discs can get pretty heavy) but it does a pretty good job.

Plus, it's fun. Something fun that makes you a better player should have a larger following.

Three Putt you should put a locked sticky thread in the equipment forum titled, "The Condor Is Not A Lid."

Latest posts