• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Approach disc choice

I'm throwing all my approaches with either Grip Pure or Firm VP, depending on wind and line.

I've also noticed many people around here throw mid-ranges on short approach shots, and even call them approach discs. I might tell them once that it's more a mid-range driver, and their putter is putt and approach disc, but after that I'll leave them be and use what they want.

I throw a spike zero if it's less than 75' and an E Element for anything 75'-150', unless I have to get left to right then a dx gator.

Under 125' im chunking the dx birdie, over 125' i have a dx shark that is sooo beat that i love to throw. I recently bought a r-pro roc that i'm really liking as well.

I usually just throw my putter unless I need some kind of crazy turn and/or fade.

For hyzers ill throw a buzz. bh or fh depending what trouble im in. For anhyzers ill throw a lat 64 core.

50' and in SSS Wiz

50-100' M Wiz

100'+ DX Roc I know it's not an approach disc just what I feel comfortable throwing at this range. Even though I can drive it out past 250' I find it extremely controllable for me at this range. Almost like it reads my mind. Its shaped the exact line I pictured time after time and rarely lets me down.

Those shots are all putters for me. I carry three of them, a beat DX aviar, a broken in KC Pro aviar, and a pro rhyno. If it requires some extreme lines or stances, I might reach for a utility disc, like my heavy Z flick, my star gator, or my DX stingray, but 95% of those shots are made with a putter.

Rocs and putters are all good for upshots, but if you haven't tried out a Condor I think you're missing out. Condors glide so effortlessly and will hold any line you put on them. I put one in my bag a couple months ago and am wondering how I ever got along without it.