• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Archon Throwers: Champ or Star?

Champ or Star Archons

• Champ Archon

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Star Archon

Votes: 41 58.6%

• Total voters

jdw80550

* Ace Member *
So I'm picking up an Archon this weekend. After throwing a buddies (172g Star) I was very impressed. Thought I would see if people like the Stars best, or those of you that have thrown the Champs, what you think of them. The store I'm going to has Champ fundraisers $25, First Run Stars $20, and Factory Stars $17.99. Is there much difference in the runs. Thoughts would be good.

Of course you know that the champion will be more overstable compared to the star.
You can also get them online for cheaper i think.

the champs blow away the stars imo. i like my protostar more than my star but the champ is hands down better than both. the problem with the stars is that they are very touchy as they beat in, sometimes they flex and come back with a nice fade that gives you huge D and some times they just turn and burn. when i throw my star now i almost always hyzer flip it and when you do that you can get a good straightish line but again it's unpredictable. you can use the stars for some crazy long anny's though.

the champs however are so predictable, they are much harder to turn and burn. you pretty much have to OAT the champs to turn them over and have them not fade back. there's also no noticeable difference in glide between my champs and my stars like their is with a lot of innova drivers. throwing flex shots with the champs is absolute money.

and yes the champ archons fly similar to lower end plastic wraiths but the champ archons will hold up so much longer than those wraiths. my champ wraith is much more OS than any of my archons so lately if i go to a long course i'll bring a champ wraith and a champ archon. generally i've found that my archon outdrives my wraiths by 10-20 feet on average.

Last edited:
I purchased 2 champs in the same weight at the same time, and they were both entirely different discs, one was a meat hook, and the other would just turn and burn. The star was some where right in the middle which was what I wanted, but as New stated once it starts to beat in it becomes really touchy. I still have the star and use it frequently. To be fair though I don't have anything in my bag that is champ, as I really don't care for the plastic.

so far my my star is holding up its stability and until that changes i'm sticking with it. if it does indeed become flippy i will most likely pick up a champ.

Of course you know that the champion will be more overstable compared to the star.
You can also get them online for cheaper i think.

I like to support our local stores. A couple bucks more and having the disc right away is OK by me. Love the Wrightlife.

or a Wraith for cheaper with similar results no?

I've thrown Wraiths and they definately were not the same as the Archon. Plus, I've a Surge man, but don't say get a SurgeSS. Not The Same!

I voted Star - but honestly I like both. I have a FR Star that is just a hair more stable than it's flight 'numbers' and a FR Champ (2011 Am Worlds) that is more like a 'long' Valk ... predictably understable. From what I'm reading the Champ runs are clearly a bit unpredictable - or at least they were between CFR runs and regular production. Hence, I voted Star.

I have a 166g Echo Star, which I love. It's awesome, and I can throw everything from hyzers, to straight shots, to anhyzers with it. It doesn't seem to be beating in much either.

You may want to consider the Astra too though. Pretty much the same thing, but you can get a first run for $10. I think DD still has the Sparkle Champ(Quantum) Astras.

i've noticed that the production champs are way domier than the CFR runs.. which makes me sad.

I'm looking forward hearing how the new production Champ Archons compare. Almost ordered one but holding out until the local shop has em.

I want to say my 167ish star is getting touchy after some heavy use but I have consistency issues with my release angle (can take off to the right and doesn't come back).

Haven't thrown a FR Champ yet but plan on getting a couple tosses in to see what my new 170 am worlds does tomorrow morning warming up for a tourney.

I'll hold off voting until I've thrown something other than star. ;)

I have an e* that I've recently stopped throwing because it has become too unpredictable. Between star and champ I would definitely try a nice flat champ.

After using this thread, thanks for all the input but the way, I went with the Star. I have a regular production that is in the bag, and 161 proto that will come out in the spring (it's white). These have been a very easy to learn and easy to throw.

After using this thread, thanks for all the input but the way, I went with the Star. I have a regular production that is in the bag, and 161 proto that will come out in the spring (it's white). These have been a very easy to learn and easy to throw.

Very good call. I started throwing a Star Archon this summer and absolutely loved it. I lost it during a round and replaced it the next day because I can't play a round without it (unless it's a short course). It's def. my go-to for maximum distance, and I haven't experienced the inconsistencies that others have mentioned. You won't regret your decision!

:clap:

I'm looking forward hearing how the new production Champ Archons compare. Almost ordered one but holding out until the local shop has em.

from my experience the few production run champs i've thrown have been domier and started off less stable than my FR champs which are much flatter. the two stars i have which are 172, 174 are now the flippiest out of all the ones i have. the flippiest out of my champs is a 168 which is about where my stars are in stability.

my FR Champ 175's are still the most stable even though I throw one of those more than any of them. the protostars seem to be flatter as well and i like the one that i throw for high flex shots because it's 168 and seems to fade back at the end better than the heavier ones which hold the line.

i should note that to get max D of 350+ you really need to hyzer flip these suckers, if you're trying to bomb it flat you're just going to get huge anny lines which are useful in situations.

Latest posts