• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are plotters and cutters the same?

Turbo Ted

I see a lot of people in the forum mention using a plotter to make stencils. Is that different than a cutter?

My friend's wife got a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas. Yesterday, he and I got to use it. I cut out a ninja design, put it on a disc, and easily weeded the unwanted vinyl. It looked awesome! Sadly, when I dyed it, it bled all over the place. Very blurry image. I used iDye mixed in rubbing alcohol and painted it on the disc.

To be fair, I've had mixed results with this technique on xacto-cut stencils, but this was the worst disc I've made. Has anyone else used this type of stencil maker? Is a plotter that much different?

It could have been the vinyl you used perhaps. Also did you go over the edges after you weeded? Use the back of the exactl blade and just flatten the edges of what's left. Should help out. I'm not great with vinyl. I'm sure others here will give ya more tips

A vinyl cutter and a plotter are the same thing. A Silhouette should work just fine. You still want to use a fairly high quality vinyl. And make sure you use a credit card or something to go over your edges and make sure they are good and stuck down.

You still want to use a fairly high quality vinyl. And make sure you use a credit card or something to go over your edges and make sure they are good and stuck down.

I did go over the edges. I thought everything looked pretty tight. The vinyl I bought at a craft store. I thought it might be the problem, but I did a test dye using the same vinyl with an Xacto-cut stencil and it looked perfect.

One thing I forgot to mention: I used Innova Pro plastic on the first attempt, and Champ on the second. I'll try the same stencil again with Champ and make sure I go over the edges a couple times. I'm glad to hear the cutter should work. It sure is slick! I can't imagine cutting the stencil I used by hand. Should be pretty quick cutting another one to try. I'll post the results.

The Silhouette will open a whole world of disc dye possibilities.

Thank you both for your comments! :)

Most likely the quality of the vinyl, or whether you pressed the vinyl edges down well enough.

also, if they were used discs, scratches will cause bleeds. Pro-type plastics develop deeper gouges and scratches than champ...
another thing that's good practice, but us being impatient tend to not do, is warm the vinyl/adhesive lightly with a blowdryer (not too hot), push down on edges (but not scrape, you'll move the vinyl, i used a rubber rolling pin with a wooden circle under the flight plate) and let it cool and let the adhesive set for a few hours.
For big sections, it isn't really needed, but for smaller 'bits' it will help. It also helps with sealing hot-stamp ghosts...

Might also want to make sure you wash the disc first to remove all the oils.

Good idea. I assumed the acetone was cleaning the disc off pretty good, but I handled the disc quite a bit before I stuck the stencil on. BTW, I live north of you in Cache County. Come on up some time!

LoPan12 -- Great tip. I've never heard of doing heating up the stencil, but I like the idea.

Bennett -- I hope the vinyl is okay because it's easy to get and easy to work with. I will definitely make sure the edges are tight.

Thanks all.

I've been wanting to drive up and visit infinite discs store. I may have to make it more of a priority to get up that way. You should make sure you play winter wizards at the farm in Tremonton in March.

I was just checking out your dyed disc library and some of those are stunning. How do you make the stencils for the logos? Or any of the detailed dye jobs? Even if I used the cutter for the stencil, getting the disc dyed properly sounds like it's out of my league. I would love to see a complete video of a dye job as complex as many of yours are.

Off topic -- I'm heading over to Infinite Discs for a club meeting tonight! It's fun to just check out a ton of new plastic. They are sponsoring a fundraiser tournament in February and they're giving a voucher good for any disc they carry to every participant! How sweet if that? Info: http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Ice_Bowl_CVDG_Kidney_For_Evie_2014

I just heard about the Winter Wizard tourney. I want to check it out this year. Never been to the farm.

So I have been re-searching plotters as well. Have found a relatively in-expensive one but I am still leary of purchasing before asking around. With plotters you are able to upload graphics correct? Does it actually cut the image out or does it stencil it on and you go back with an exacto knife?

A plotter, or vinyl cutter cuts the vinyl for you. It takes a vector file and the cutter cuts the vector file out. I use inkscape to create the vector files and send them to the plotter to cut out.