• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tomahawks and Thumbers this generations roller/forehand?

You should know that I was TDing, and at the awards ceremony had to hand over the ace pool to someone who used a thumber to win it---and, worse, told the audience---I thought the crowd took a little too much pleasure in my wincing.

FWIW I avoided easy RHBH hyzer shots like the plague for years. Not a typical gentle hyzer because the fairway necessarily called for it, but the hyzer Ken Barsby complained about Nikko nailing. There's zero fun in those shots to me.

Guess what I throw when I want to score well after all these years:)

I throw at least one OH per round (thumber more than hammer/tomahawk) and I get more pleasure out of them than the stupid spike hyzers...

Former college pitcher here. Tomahawk was simple enough but the grip on the thumber just messes with me and I can't figure it out for the life of me.
Thumber grip the thumb is simple. Index and middle finger are a bit tricky and different for each person.
Max distance less accuracy basically just making a ball with your fist.
High accuracy less distance fingers mostly straight.
Best all around grip index finger mostly straight middle finger curled.

Don't know how to upload pictures yet

The yellow icon two over from changing the color of the font (has a little mountain and perhaps sun or moon on it?) is the button to insert a URL for a photo. Another way to do so is type:
I]
without spaces between the first closed bracket and second open bracket. IMG does not need to be capitalized.

If you want to add a file directly from your PC or phone you'll have to click on "go advanced" or "preview post" (both lead you to the same editing post screen) from which you'll see addition icons like centering your text, a youtube thing, a paperclip, "spoil", etc. The paperclip is how you upload an image directly. Click on it and you have a choice of either uploading from a URL or directly from storage. PM me if that wasn't clear enough/need additional info.

Like this

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_211533.jpg
    IMG_20181005_211533.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20181005_211523.jpg
    IMG_20181005_211523.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20181005_215748.jpg
    IMG_20181005_215748.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
My first ace in 1996 was with a tomahawk. Grand Woods Park (Lansing, MI), hole #16 (which used to have a bunch of trees in the way). 172g orange/yellow Whippet. Just like the baseball player said earlier in this thread, I used to envision a throw from the outfield to home plate.

I don't dare throw anything with power such as overhands or forehands these days. I'd like for my arm to remain attached to my body...