• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are you a color snob?

How picky are you about disc color? Why?

• Only bag one (maybe two) color(s) exclusively

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • Only a select few (more than two) colors make the bag

Votes: 78 33.3%
  • I don't care much, but don't bag some colors ever

Votes: 106 45.3%
  • If the disc flies, its color means nothing to me

Votes: 34 14.5%

• Total voters
Light blue is a mistake in the translucent Z/Champion types of plastic. I had a Champion Valkyrie in this color and when playing courses that get more rain or have non straw grass I found it hard to find the disc in green grass. That Dayglo yellow/green is one of the best in translucent plastic outside the non swirly/marbled pink discs.

It depends on just how light and how blue the disc is. I have some blue Champion discs that stand out very well and are easy to spot, and some that (like you said) don't grab the eye as well. And clear blue Champion discs can be difficult to spot in water, even shallow water.

Bright pink Champion discs work best for me, though any very bright color (except maybe purple) does okay.

Red can work if you have the bright reds that are more to the raspberry/almost pink side and not the dark reds and basic reds that are more commonly found. Dark red is a really bad choice as the disc can look like some types of dirt/mud.

In Champion, a bright red can be okay. In opaque discs, even light reds that aren't outright pink can be difficult to see. And as you said, a dark red disc can be a disaster. I have a dark red Echostar Tern that flew great but I had to stop using it: I found it a couple of times by literally stepping on it before I ever saw it.

Played with a fella who threw only yellow. With some yellow/green...

Only thing worse is crystal clear. I will always help a comrade look for a disc that goes in shrubs and whatnot, but... come on.

Chances are slim, but if you are from Duluth, we may have run across each other. It all comes down to what you can train your eyes to see. I prefer an all white bag, but not all manufacturers produce white in what I want throw. Besides, winters in Minnesota, especially last season's, means I better have alternatives to white if I throw 365. So, I mostly go all yellow, the brighter the better. I have trained my eye to immediately be drawn to that color.

Now, if it were not for my discs always finding the worst possible spots to hide or always getting on edge or whatnot, I would find them right away.

Muted or dark colors, dark yellow included, those are impossible.

As for snobbery, I have backed off a little because some of my better throwers are white, so now I am more of a mix of white and yellow. Still, as a fan to certain team, there are only one or two colors that go well with my purple bag/cart.

Absolutely. Bright Orange or Pink as much as possible. I do rock a turquoise McBuzzz right now but every time it lands in the devils club I get anxiety.

Grass green is my favorite disc color but its not a color that is made too often. But most of my discs land by the basket so I dont worry much about finding them. :)

Grass green is my favorite disc color but its not a color that is made too often. But most of my discs land by the basket so I dont worry much about finding them. :)

Seen your ITB. You got an eclectic color scheme!

Start throwing Prodigy, if you like grass and shrub colored discs. Seen quite a few from "split-pea-green," to "sand-with-fresh-mowed-grass-on-it," to the pretty swirly "haha-you-thought-you-could-find-me-under-some-ferns."

Aside: I'm not saying Prodigy is the only one that makes ugly colors. Throw whatever you want.

Yes. Mostly pink, but also a smattering of DayGlo and other fluorescents.

Seen your ITB. You got an eclectic color scheme!

Start throwing Prodigy, if you like grass and shrub colored discs. Seen quite a few from "split-pea-green," to "sand-with-fresh-mowed-grass-on-it," to the pretty swirly "haha-you-thought-you-could-find-me-under-some-ferns."

Aside: I'm not saying Prodigy is the only one that makes ugly colors. Throw whatever you want.

The only thing for me that matters for color is my putting putters. Those have to be white. Other then that I dont care.

I don't buy a disc with pink, purple, dyes, or flakes. I also don't like the disc to have more than 2 colors. The stamp writing should be uniform and have a heavy contrast with the color of the disc

A bright aqua/turquoise is probably my favorite, also like a bright, light green or blue.
Will use yellow, orange, or red for some differentiation.
Pretty much stick to those colors.

I find some of these new ESP colors/swirls by Discraft really attractive

Orange, pink, blue and white (only putting putters though) are the only colors that fit my eye and i can find them the best. Orange can be a bit tough during the fall too.

Colors are so seasonal. My green Gibson luster Leo3 is about the worst possible color in spring/summer, but is perfect in fall and winter. U do find bright pinks, yellows, and oranges to be the best, but any color will find some kind of hiding place that turns it into camouflage. I typically buy discs focusing more on weight and profile, so I haven't really hand-picked most of the colors.

I do believe the secret of finding any disc is watching where it went, listening for audio cues, and then knowing where to look. It also helps that I don't really throw that far...

Colors are so seasonal. My green Gibson luster Leo3 is about the worst possible color in spring/summer, but is perfect in fall and winter. U do find bright pinks, yellows, and oranges to be the best, but any color will find some kind of hiding place that turns it into camouflage. I typically buy discs focusing more on weight and profile, so I haven't really hand-picked most of the colors.

I do believe the secret of finding any disc is watching where it went, listening for audio cues, and then knowing where to look. It also helps that I don't really throw that far...

Agree about the seasons, but it's also about locations: down here in Georgia, we havent gotten Autumn colors like the New England States, and possibly the mountains of West Virginia, for years. So as long as the discs are artificially bright orange or yellow, they're fine. Burnt orange, copper, and brown are the same color as Georgia pine straw, and those discs disappear quickly around these here parts.

Unless its brown, purple, black (unless it's a putter), dark colors.....I care more about the weight.

Definitely, I lean towards blue and white.

But if I find the right weight and feel I will settle for anything really..

Black putters also get hot during the summer. No thanks.

Agree. Maybe it's just the few black putters I've had (Warden and Marshal), but they're a wee bit softer than their more lightly colored counterparts, and the summer heat magnifies that. By way of contrast, black putters are excellent in the cold of Winter. :thmbup:

Agree. Maybe it's just the few black putters I've had (Warden and Marshal), but they're a wee bit softer than their more lightly colored counterparts, and the summer heat magnifies that. By way of contrast, black putters are excellent in the cold of Winter. :thmbup:

Can't say I've noticed a temperature difference between the two JB Roaches in my bag, one black one light orange. The last couple of weeks have been approaching 100 here. I honestly don't color makes much difference when plastic discs are all baking together in a bag.

Casey also said JB gets to floppy to use in summer and I haven't noticed that to be the case yet.

Can't say I've noticed a temperature difference between the two JB Roaches in my bag, one black one light orange. The last couple of weeks have been approaching 100 here. I honestly don't color makes much difference when plastic discs are all baking together in a bag.

Casey also said JB gets to floppy to use in summer and I haven't noticed that to be the case yet.

Oh well some runs of Jawbreaker plastic get soft hot weather is all, mostly a few runs from Mid 2017 were soft and did not last. Disc Golf Nerd On YouTube is now having this problem of durability with his Jawbreaker Magnet's he replaced his first run discs in that same year or got at about the same time as mine but replaced later. I think it was in 2017 that Discraft was getting some soft runs of Jawbreaker from time to time. Unfortunately in my area I can not go out to check out Discraft Discs at a store as the local sports store only sells Innova and Millennium.