• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Chris Hysell the angry old Discraft Pro

Did you enjoy playing the country course a few weeks ago? I really enjoy playing competitive rounds on old private courses. What other NC tournies do you plan on hitting this year?

It was a return of my disc golf roots. When I visited NC for the 1st time I spent the night in a sleeping bag on a table at the CC. When I first stated playing disc golf there wasn't a course in Richmond so I went to NC for my disc golf. Most people thought I was from there. My name is on the NC Points series trophy for 1994.

My next NC appearance is a few weeks away. I will be there for Buckhorn.

With the amount of tournaments you play, do you ever get bored/annoyed and wonder why you're playing a tournament where you get 2 rounds in after 10 hours on the course instead of playing 2 rounds in 3 hours down the street at the empty course?

How much weight do you put on the course/td/tier/location of the tournaments you play?

Iron Hill -- (disclaimer: I play it a couple times a month and love the challenge of it) -- your thoughts?

2 five hour rounds? Someone's doing something wrong :|

That would make sense if tournament rounds were b2b , but there is lunch and waiting for the second round. Tournament rounds are really slow to begin with

I'm the main volunteer for my local TD. We're usually packed up and leaving the course within 11 hours of arriving to set up. That means arriving 3 hours before tee-off and leaving about an hour or so after the last card comes in.

3 hours is early. If I am going to put the XBox controller down and get off the couch I intend on spending the whole day at the course. Going there for a few hours is not my thing.

hey hysell, i'll be in town on friday, probably gonna play bryan around lunchtime with Bob Saintsing and a few others, you should come out and play! i want to beat you again!

On Saturday, how far west of Baltimore will I have to drive to find a disc golf course with no snow cover?

Last edited:
On Saturday, how far west of Baltimore will I have to drive to find a disc golf course with no snow cover?

come to Va. There are 3 or 4 scheduled events on Saturday. Vegan Ray is cooking again for the Spotsylvania Chili Cookoff at Loriella. That's always a treat but I think i'm heading to Charlottesville's Walnut Creek to play a BRAWL(BlueRidgeAreaWinterLeague) event. The BRAWL series is now offering a GM division and I like beating up on the old guys.

In the last 5 or more years I would estimate that 90% of my disc golf has been tournament play. I never just drive to a local course to play. I never call or text friends and ask them to meet me for a round. If someone were to ask me to come play I usually make the effort but leisure golf isn't a priority.

Last year I would have played 50 or 60 events if I could find more masters events to play. I actually screwed myself by playing in the grandmasters division. For some reason td's have been cutting out the age protected divisions. Many will claim that since I am still competitive with the younger open players I should be playing there to challenge myself. In my sponsorship world this is really not possible. One of the stipulations of being on the Discraft sponsored Masters team is that half of my events need to be in the masters division. This became more of a problem as the year went on last year and I couldn't find events in Va that were offering MPM. I found myself in NC and Delaware playing in the MPM division just to get back to even so I could play again the next weekend.

Tournament tiers and courses really mean nothing to me. Neither do one day events. I'd rather play in two different events each weekend. That's more opportunities to win. I go to tournaments to win and the venue really doesn't matter either. I have won on short courses as well as long courses. Winning has actually become an addiction. I want to get to my 100th PDGA win mark and i'm trying really hard. It will happen in 2014.

Don't get me started on my love for Delaware disc golf. It feels like my home. My first PDGA Open win was at Lums Pond and before that I won the Breeze and Treeze in advanced. Iron Hill is a treat and I really enjoy playing there. It offers the challenge of course management. Last year I also discovered Canby and Trap Pond. Both fit my game well. Perhaps I will make an appearance in a few weeks ay White Clay.

Chris, I hope you don't mind this 3rd yr player (AGM) borrowing some of your mindset, and implementing it into my approach to my upcoming 2nd year of competing?

3rd paragraph resonates with me, and goes along quite well with what my coaches have been alluding to. It also goes along with my personal observations of the guys who are always coming out on top, at the tournaments that I played in last year.

Thank you for putting it into words that clicked for me Chris. Sounds like we are both going to have a great year in 2014 :)

There will always be people who compete who just enjoy the game. I enjoy the game also but winning is the goal.

I was watching the golf channel one time and the commentators were discussing the players. They said that there are actually players on tour who are there to make a living but don't want the pressure of being at the top. They enjoy the game and the travel and the money but really don't care much for the pressure at the top. I have friends who are the same way. They are content.

What's more rewarding:

A. Winning first $45 in a three person division and playing 20pts below your rating

B. Getting second and $150 in a 25 person division while playing 20pts above your rating

?

Loreilla . . . would love to make it back, its just on the wrong side of DC from Philadelphia. Is there a course that works better for a one-day event?

The longs versus the shorts are like playing at different places. Love that course, and some year I'll make the Loreilla Open again!! :(

Last edited:
What's more rewarding:

A. Winning first $45 in a three person division and playing 20pts below your rating

B. Getting second and $150 in a 25 person division while playing 20pts above your rating

?

Loreilla . . . would love to make it back, its just on the wrong side of DC from Philadelphia. Is there a course that works better for a one-day event?

The longs versus the shorts are like playing at different places. Love that course, and some year I'll make the Loreilla Open again!! :(

I would have to say B. While winning is important I find great pleasure in playing well. I remember coming home from tournaments so happy that I made every putt I should have made with some bonus long putts even though I didn't win. Playing well feel better than winning. People who know me well know that even when I win sometimes I will complain that I didn't play well.

Latest posts