• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At last..., the Devil Hawk

Meh they ruined that joke it is supposed to be a driver after all originally. But a thin profile s Gateway putter is always interesting no matter the context of the name. Any idea about the flight characteristics? Thin putters are always on my radar and in s the grip could be good for a putting putter. As a laser putter at close ranges and hybrid laser/pitch putter at long ranges i am always interested in gliding no to minimal fade putters. Fingers crossed.

My understanding the devil hawk is a sham man bottom and a thumbtrak top. The war spear is a chief bottom with the thumbtrak top. Have not held either so couldn't say for sure.

JR said:
Meh they ruined that joke it is supposed to be a driver after all originally.
I kinda dig the fact they made it a putter. No driver could live up to the name (esp. one from Gateway) so it being a putter is sort of a joke unto itself.

Already ordered one.

Dave Mac is way behind the times. He told me on the phone a decade ago that they had a thumb track/ groove top putter in the works.

The voodoo was also supposed to be a thumb track wizard

Somebody here called Gateway about them; according to the story the groove top is just a coincidence. They did it to make the discs more overstable, not to help with grip.

Which was very credibly repeated to me by a third-party working on his 6th tall boy Busch, so it's worth about that much.

NoLifeLeft said:
JR said:
Meh they ruined that joke it is supposed to be a driver after all originally.
I kinda dig the fact they made it a putter. No driver could live up to the name (esp. one from Gateway) so it being a putter is sort of a joke unto itself.

Already ordered one.

Well it makes some sense but The Assassin and from hearsay the pdga illegal Ninja glide well so they have some skills in designing drivers with distance potential. Can they manufacture long discs meaning fast too reliably enough is another matter.

the Assassin was designed by quest during there brief partnership. Apache have great glide and are a very underated fairway/control driver. the illusion is sweet disc when they get it right but as was said earlier they r not consistant.

Hey, by the way, about the assassians, new run doesn't have that textured edge. I was checking out a stack that the local liquor store/disc store got in recently, they all have a nice dome with no weird textureness

I might have to get one of these, just because.

I grabbed 2 175g proto testers from a local DG shop because the flight characteristics on Disc Golf Center looked interesting. Great feeling plastic; Nice flex in the plate but overall stiff. Thumbtrack was not as pronounced/deep as I thought it would be. The bead is odd because it looks like a Wizard bead that was put on a belt sander and brought down in height by half. It's short, but wide if that makes any sense. It's supposed to have a Chief bottom but the proto Chiefs have a different bead than these Devilhawks. Took them to a short 9 hole to putt and drive with them.

Mama mia these are overstable. I am now going to try them out for my Gator slot because they are too overstable for me to even come close to replacing my Wizards and flew/putt closer to what I use the Gator for. These start fading immediately after being driven. I was able to get them out to about 200' where as I can get a Wizard to 270+ because I can turn those over a bit. Very close to and might replace the flat DX Gator I use for short utility because those are harder and harder to find. I'll try it again when the first runs show up at the shop to see if these are freaks.

Caveats: Tested @ 5280 so it might be exactly what you're looking for if you're throwing close to sea level and need a beef pipe putter. It also had some gnarly flashing on the flat bead so I might remove that before I audition them for the Gator's slot but I doubt it will change the flight much if at all.

The more understable the design the more it will flip vs original once the flash is removed. The TL is a great example of large stability variation once the flash is removed. It would also be nice to know how it behaves on the sea level to gauge what the flight path and distance difference is vs 5000'+.

Latest posts