• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

... I am fond of the 0 LSS regardless of power you get with the proxy tho and it being a little more forgiving vs a big bead putter.

In winter, the Atoms Electron grip took over my putts and many upshots, but now in summer, as much as I want to maintain consistency I keep creeping back on the Proxy for that reason. I think the Proxy has the same HSS as the Atom (maybe even a hair more) but definitely a tick less LSS. Longer putts, windier putts I find I pick up the Proxy more. I really hope MVP find a way to get mold consistency between Electron and the Premium molds. I think if I could get the Proxy in Electron that would seal the deal.

FWIW, I liked the blue experimental more than production Atom, it has less LSS.

I was at the one of the local shops today feeling up some Circuit discs(plasma inertia and tesla feel awesome BTW!). I was feeling up an atom and thought it felt a little stiffer than mine. Would anyone that has done a Circuit event care to comment? Is it just that mine are used and a tad softened?

I like my Atom, as much as I swore I would not buy a baseline putter. It just fits my hand but all 3 of mine are too flexible and they are not the soft blend. The Atom needs to either come out in a 27 lbs. taco weight or in a different plastic.

Still putting with the Atom, but looks like the DX Colt will take over the straight-to-understable approach slot.

Threw a Proxy a couple of times, probably not a fair trial, but I did not click with it for whatever reason.

Still putting with the Atom, but looks like the DX Colt will take over the straight-to-understable approach slot.

Threw a Proxy a couple of times, probably not a fair trial, but I did not click with it for whatever reason.

the proxydidn't click immediately with me either. then i started throwing it similar to how i throw drivers and the magic happened. the colt looks nice and felt great when i saw them I'm sure it'll work out fantastic for you. but don't sleep on the proxy if you still have one!

the proxydidn't click immediately with me either. then i started throwing it similar to how i throw drivers and the magic happened. the colt looks nice and felt great when i saw them I'm sure it'll work out fantastic for you. but don't sleep on the proxy if you still have one!

I traded the Proxy away. Oh well. I do prefer the grip of baseline putters and approach discs, although I make an exception for the Soft Neutron Envy since it is such a sweet disc.

I was at the one of the local shops today feeling up some Circuit discs(plasma inertia and tesla feel awesome BTW!). I was feeling up an atom and thought it felt a little stiffer than mine. Would anyone that has done a Circuit event care to comment? Is it just that mine are used and a tad softened?
Bueller?

the circuit I was at only had the Atom available in firm plastic for the event

Just got done with a circuit event today. The atoms felt decent in the hand, both soft and normal electron. Sadly, I hated them. They were glideless turds for me and a lot of folk inside the circle. It's a decent approach disc, it gave me 2 - 100ft birdies. For a putting putter I'll never throw it again. I had better luck throwing the Tangent. Now I do well with Judges and Blowfflies, so take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt.

The relay was a good driver, however I had to hyper flip it for any real long holes. Seemed a lot of the mvp discs lacked glide 90% of the time

Just got done with a circuit event today. The atoms felt decent in the hand, both soft and normal electron. Sadly, I hated them. They were glideless turds for me and a lot of folk inside the circle. It's a decent approach disc, it gave me 2 - 100ft birdies. For a putting putter I'll never throw it again. I had better luck throwing the Tangent. Now I do well with Judges and Blowfflies, so take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt.

The relay was a good driver, however I had to hyper flip it for any real long holes. Seemed a lot of the mvp discs lacked glide 90% of the time

Fanboi reaction in 3.2.1...

Not a fan boy reaction, but, I played a circuit event today. The tangent and the relay new to me atom is very familiar as atoms are my putting putter. As to the stiffness of the discs, yes my circuit event firm is stiffer than the firm electron I own. I like it. Makes a bigger difference between soft and firm.

The Relay. I love this disc. It's what I was hoping the Inspire was. I will no longer miss my leopard. At all. Great glide, easy to work lines, very beginner friendly.

The Plasma Tangent. I don't know. I am not sure if it fits in my Tensor, Alias, Theory line up. I got a 177 Tangent and it is definitely more stable than my Theory.

All in all it was a great event. Well put on. Great group. Great course. Well worth the money and drive.

Fanboi reaction in 3.2.1...

lol. anyone who actually follows and read some talk would know that many personally found the atom to have less glide even in baseline plastic and fly pretty OS. . 1, 2, 3, easy just throw some discs aint no big deal. Opinions are welcome anyyyytime. why are you trolling? Sounds like a solid review of the discs to me for someone who didn't enjoy how they flew. Doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I didn't really like the Relay on the day of the Circuit, either. But that may have been due more to the course I was playing, than the disc, long holes with elevation are not this disc forte, lol. I started to really like it after a couple LOPAR tourney rounds, where the shortened holes seemed to fit better with it. I took my inspire out of the bag a couple rounds ago, and haven't missed it yet.

The atom does need a good amount of spin to float, inside the circle, but glides plenty on longer upshot/drive type shots. I have a lot of trouble ranging it on upshots, so I use the envy/proxy combo for that. The atom is almost strictly a putting putter for me. Also use it for jump and step putts also.

Last edited:
I didn't really like the Relay on the day of the Circuit, either. But that may have been due more to the course I was playing, than the disc, long holes with elevation are not this disc forte, lol. I started to really like it after a couple LOPAR tourney rounds, where the shortened holes seemed to fit better with it. I took my inspire out of the bag a couple rounds ago, and haven't missed it yet.

The atom does need a good amount of spin to float, inside the circle, but glides plenty on longer upshot/drive type shots. I have a lot of trouble ranging it on upshots, so I use the envy/proxy combo for that. The atom is almost strictly a putting putter for me. Also use it for jump and step putts also.

I have 2 atoms in my bag, one for putting only and one for throwing / long outta. The one I throw has a wrinkled flight plate but with better glide. The more beat up it gets, the better it flies.

This is why it needs to be cast in plasma, just a little dome would go a longwway.

WHY do people want domey putters? :sick:
At the low rotational speed a putt has, is the closest analog to how a wing works on an airplane. The air has to have a greater distance to flow across the top opposed to the bottom. The difference is that a wing does not curve back upon itself while the edge of a disc does, making a wing shape appearing to be a dome.

The wrinkles in my broken in putter gives the disc more apparent total top surface area, henceforth, better glide.
A putter can be made with a certain type of textured surface on top to give this effect. This is seen in the Frisbee 'flight rings' or in Innova's Sonic. This texture also can come from repeated impact with objects, henceforth a discs greater glide(and under-stability) as it is used.
Surface texture creates a complex system that involves friction, slipstream and lift. Texture may increase lift but slow the disc down greater than a simple shape...or it may not.

In the end, placing a bit of dome on a disc is the easiest way to increase lift. It can be very slight and even center oriented, leaving the rim FAF. Plus, a domed disc simply fits some peoples hand better.

For me, as my Atom breaks in, it feels more like a better Pure, which is what I was after all along.

At the low rotational speed a putt has, is the closest analog to how a wing works on an airplane. The air has to have a greater distance to flow across the top opposed to the bottom. The difference is that a wing does not curve back upon itself while the edge of a disc does, making a wing shape appearing to be a dome.

The wrinkles in my broken in putter gives the disc more apparent total top surface area, henceforth, better glide.
A putter can be made with a certain type of textured surface on top to give this effect. This is seen in the Frisbee 'flight rings' or in Innova's Sonic. This texture also can come from repeated impact with objects, henceforth a discs greater glide(and under-stability) as it is used.
Surface texture creates a complex system that involves friction, slipstream and lift. Texture may increase lift but slow the disc down greater than a simple shape...or it may not.

In the end, placing a bit of dome on a disc is the easiest way to increase lift. It can be very slight and even center oriented, leaving the rim FAF. Plus, a domed disc simply fits some peoples hand better.

For me, as my Atom breaks in, it feels more like a better Pure, which is what I was after all along.

I disagree with part of this. Yes, more surface area on the top is going to increase glide marginally, but wrinkles should actually reduce glide, just like golf ball dimples do. The Pure has a higher shoulder and slightly wider diameter than the Atom that is going to create more glide than the Atom can muster.

I have wanted wider diameter discs from MVP for awhile though. It would give just a little more carry to their discs while still being very HSS, pushing the weight even further out from center.