• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin Texas Disc Golf

deralick99

Hey everyone! Me and some buddies are headed to Austin in a few weeks for 4 days and want opinions on the MUST PLAY courses in Austin. We are planning on playing 2 to 3 courses a day but there are so many to choose from. Please help! Thanks

Bible Ridge, Manor East Metro, Cirlce C, and Roy G (in that order) are the must play courses, IMO. It is a good idea to wear jeans to Manor, or at least long pants or socks. Lots of cactus and mesquite.

I played Roy G Guerro park recently, was my first Austin DG course. Is a pretty sweet course, heavily wooded in a lot of places but awesome. Also played Old Settlers in Round Rock. It should be on the short list for that area. Didn't get a chance to play Circle C though. Our local pro is from Austin and said it, and Roy G are the two best down there to play though.

Awesome thanks for the heads up guys! Roy G and Circle C are for sure on our list. We were thinking of heading up North one day and playing the Wilco DGC and Rivery Park. Then another day head south and play Steeplechase Park and Flying Armadillo. Thoughts on those courses???

Thoughts...you mean besides do it? :D Have yet to hit the Dillo, but Steeplechase is a fun course. Need to go back and play it again soon myself.

Roy G is a great pro-level course, but myself and some other locals find it a little bit boring. Bible Ridge (Austin Ridge Bible Church) is a much more fun experience, and IMO the best overall course in Austin

I haven't played the Flying Armadillo yet, but I play Steeplechase a lot. It is fun, but pretty open since a lot of the trees have come down. Also more chance for disc loss than other courses, depending on the water level in the creek and how much vegetation and particulates are in it. If I were you I would do Bible Ridge and Circle C one day and Roy G plus some other course instead of Steeplechase and the Flying Armadillo the other day.

Seawright is a fun course as well, and its very close to discnation. It can get quite busy though. Check discnation out if you have the time! Tons of plastic and a driving range out back where you can throw anything you want.

Hey everyone! Me and some buddies are headed to Austin in a few weeks for 4 days and want opinions on the MUST PLAY courses in Austin. We are planning on playing 2 to 3 courses a day but there are so many to choose from. Please help! Thanks

Throwback Friday!

Here's our schedule from 16 years ago ---- March 2000. Times have changed. Courses have come and gone.

Nothing like driving all night and then playing 4 rounds your first day in Texas.

4 rounds at Moody's was strong.
5 rounds at Round Rock was stronger.
Tuesday's 5 rounds at 4 courses was a blast.

Code:
Fri Lamoni, Iowa      5:15pm
Sat Waco (Woodway)    6:30am
Sat Round Rock       10:00am
Sat Round Rock       12:20pm
Sat Searight          3:40pm
Sun Moody's           9:00am
Sun Moody's          12:00pm
Sun Moody's           2:00pm
Sun Moody's           4:10pm
Mon Circle R (Lower)  9:00am
Mon Circle R (Upper) 11:30am
Mon Circle R (Lower)  1:50pm
Mon Circle R (Lower)  5:00pm (Back 9 only)
Tue Circle C          8:00am
Tue Searight         10:30am
Tue Searight         12:30pm
Tue Pease             2:10pm
Tue Bartholomew       4:15pm
Wed Round Rock        8:00am
Wed Round Rock        9:50am
Wed Round Rock       12:40pm
Wed Round Rock        2:30pm
Wed Round Rock        4:30pm
Thu Circle R (Lower) 11:40am
Thu Circle R (Upper)  2:00pm
Fri Veteran's        11:40am
Fri Veteran's         2:00pm
Fri Veteran's         3:35pm
Sat Topeka (Shawnee)  9:30am
Sat Water Works (KC) 12:45pm

I just got back from my 2nd DG trip to Austin. Circle C and Roy G are really nice. Then throw in the Flying Armadillo if you have the time. It's a really nice break from the norm. My friend and I were throwing multiple shots- ace run at everything. 6 Aces on the day- 3 each. I really enjoyed it.

Traveling to Austin

I'm traveling to Austin in mid-June for business and only will have time to play one round. Been playing for 9 months and usually shoot 3 to 9 over. Which course should I play?

Awesome thanks for the heads up guys! Roy G and Circle C are for sure on our list. We were thinking of heading up North one day and playing the Wilco DGC and Rivery Park. Then another day head south and play Steeplechase Park and Flying Armadillo. Thoughts on those courses???

The Dillo actually has two courses. The full size course feels similar to Circle C, but shorter. There's also an 18 hole mini course on the property, which has to be the coolest, most unique par 2 course on the planet. Check out the FB page for details if you're interested.

The Dillo actually has two courses. The full size course feels similar to Circle C, but shorter. There's also an 18 hole mini course on the property, which has to be the coolest, most unique par 2 course on the planet. Check out the FB page for details if you're interested.

And both courses are AWESOME! Love what you guys have done with the place. Can't recommend Flying Armadillo enough. A truly unique disc golf experience. Can't wait to see the new proshop in early May.

Also I have 5 aces at the Dillo....yes all on the small course. 5, 9, UGH x2 and roller ramp x2.

Bump. PMantle, Mung and I are heading to Austin in March. We will have two days to play. What has changed? What are the must play courses now?

^ I am also interested as I'll be traveling to San Antonio and Austin in February.

As of now I intend to play Live Oak in San Antonio and the Flying Armadillo courses on the drive to Austin. With one disc golf day in Austin I am hoping to warm up with Zilker Park, and then hit Circle C and Roy G on the way to the airport.

Back from a 3-day trip to San Antonio and Austin. Between family stuff and rain I was only able to play one course per day.

Live Oak - Hill Course: Fun course, fair fairways, nice mix of hole lengths. I played mostly longs, but threw a second shot from the short tee on any potentially aceable holes. Scared the basket once or twice but no aces.

Flying Armadillo - Gold: This was so much fun I played it twice. Unfortunately our rental car was stolen from the hotel lot in San Antonio, and getting a replacement did not allow time to play the Big Course.

Circle C: My favorite of the trip despite damp conditions. Circle C is similar to Live Oak with a nice mix of hole lengths, but Circle C has the bonus of decent elevation on a few holes. Hole 18 is a pretty epic finishing hole, and the course is so well designed I could usually figure out how to play the holes that were missing tee signs without walking up the fairway.

I found myself missing elevation change in Texas, but the abundant live oaks are gorgeous trees and create a lot of interesting, low-ceiling lines.

Barbecue recommendations from the trip:

The Barbecue Station: Funky converted gas station on the way from the airport to Live Oak. Fabulous pork ribs and jalapeno mac and cheese.

Salt Lick Cellars at the Austin airport: Best 'cue I've ever had at an airport, by a long shot.