• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin, TX, one day, what should I play?

KenanFlagler01

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I have a business trip coming up and I have one afternoon to play the best of what Austin has to offer. I will be downtown without a car, so proximity is preferable.

I looked an Zilker Park and the pictures of the redesign look great, but the reviews are mixed.

Any suggestions?

I visited Austin last year with similar questions, but had a little more time. I was able to play 3 of the 5 or 6 that were recommended to me. I played Searight, Circle C, and Roy G. Guerrero. All were enjoyable, I'd say Searight had the highest "fun" factor, but it was also the busiest. Circle C and Roy G. were both challenging, Circle C may have been a little ahead of Roy G. in terms of hole design and variety, but I liked the atmosphere of Roy G. a little better. Circle C is rocky, and Roy G. is grassy with lots of big shade trees. In any case, you'd have a good time at any of those, be sure to allow a decent amount of time though, due to crowds and/or long holes.

Avoid roy g at the moment,its pretty shaggy and you would probably lose a disc or 2. If you dont mind uncut grass mostly,go ahead lol. Also,i would Avoid east metro park aka manor too, rattlers are out this time of year and theyre big.

Id suggest circle c of your going to be south. Its got a good variety of holes with nice elevation,its challenging and mostly maintained. Arbc or austin bible ridge church, is nice too,very shaded and more elevation than circle c. 18 holes + 2 bonus holes at the top of the hill. Its normally maintained but i havnt been out there in a while. Those two are nice ,long courses if youre just playing 1.

Unfortunately "the best of what Austin has to offer" and "downtown without a car" are mutually exclusive. Back in the day you could have played Pease, but that is gone now. Zilker is really the only course close to downtown, I haven't been there since the redesign but I can't imagine it has gotten that much better. Zilker is definitely a fun course, but not the best of what Austin has to offer. I think Circle C is probably your best bet, as it is one of the top Austin courses and closer to downtown than Bible Ridge.

Also, Uber and Lyft operate in Austin, so that may be a good way to get to the course.

WHAT THE NO-FLYING F777 TIM??

I know, I know...I suck. I was was actually in town to watch a motorcycle race and was still in dg burnout limbo. Naturally I brought along some discs to check it out, but that was the first I'd played in months. Good time though, I definitely wouldn't mind visiting Austin again and soaking more of it in. I promise I'll be better next time. :hfive:

The old gray wolves are going to Austin next month. (After Cameron Park in Waco) We're only going to be in town long enough to play Austin Ridge Bible Church on a thursday, then Zilker before relaxing at Barton Springs on friday.

So to answer your question, I'd play ARBC. That's what a bunch of grandmaster Texans from DFW are going to do.

Awesome. Circle C, Austin Ridge Bible Church, and Zilker (because of proximity to downtown) seem to be the best bets. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play all of them. Thanks for the suggestions.

The old gray wolves are going to Austin next month. (After Cameron Park in Waco) We're only going to be in town long enough to play Austin Ridge Bible Church on a thursday, then Zilker before relaxing at Barton Springs on friday.

So to answer your question, I'd play ARBC. That's what a bunch of grandmaster Texans from DFW are going to do.

Flip that course schedule and go to Hamilton Pool!

I would agree. Play Zilker and you can probably walk. If not take a cheap Uber and go to Circle C

Awesome. Circle C, Austin Ridge Bible Church, and Zilker (because of proximity to downtown) seem to be the best bets. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play all of them. Thanks for the suggestions.

If you play Zilker, get in your swimsuit and go to Barton Springs (unless it's Thursday - cleaning). That (and 6th street) is the best of Austin.

Zilker is pretty much in downtown. Roy G isn't far from downtown, a cab wouldn't be bad to go there. Really Circle C is the best in Austin, but it's a good deal south of downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to playing a new state (for me) and bagging a couple courses.

Good info on Roy G. I'll be down myself on Sunday, Aug 2nd.
I was planning to get an Uber ride to Roy B, but now Circle C sounds like a better choice.

Any locals available to join me?

Is there a Thursday evening league going on?

Latest posts