• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Avenger SS (ESP)

Adaven

Eagle Member
So I got this disc in a trade a month or so ago. I loved it at first, great understable disc, perfect for Hyzer flips. Over the past the past week I have noticed a disturbing trend though. On a full drive with this disc (thrown on a hyzer angle) it will turnover early and just keep fading to the right (I throw RHBH). It is to the point that even if I throw at an angle around 7 o'clock it will still turnover and fade right. My question goes out to other players who use this disc, have you had similar experiences like this or is my disc just to worn in?

Note: RHBH drives for me range around 350'-400', I get alright spin on the disc but I generate a lot of arm speed. Also, on a flat drive I can get a slight turnover on my Surge before it fades left. I do not believe my issue is related to OAT. Hope that helps.

Haven't thrown the Avenger SS, but that's how my Vision flies. I can't hyzer-flip for distance like I do with my Beast because it always ends up going right, but there's still some really amazing lines it can hit that no other disc in my arsenal can do. It's especially useful since I suck at forehands. So while it may not be the most useful distance disc, you could still probably find a use for it as a specialty disc.

I do use the Avenger SS on shots that require less distance so less power and it works great. On shorter holes around 250'-300' I find I can throw from a stand still and it will flip and then fade back a little. I just want to know if I should replace it with another Avenger SS or move to something else.

man i found an avenger ss a couple weeks ago that didnt have a name on it, and it turned out it was a 172, which is my ideal weight...mine is pretty understable as well, i generally use it for turnover shots..if thrown with a hyzer at 65-ish% i can get it to s-curve nicely, if thrown 100% i can get it to turn over and never come back or use it as a roller..i noticed its reall sensitive to a lot of power though(as far as coming back goes)...i wouldnt say yours is too beat, personally i feel they're more of a finese disc...but then again, if you buy a heavier one i dont think it would hurt:)

mine is max weight at 174g. Any recomendations for a disc I can hyzer flip at max power.

I'm not all that consistent at hyzer-flips, but the Beast is the one I use for max-power hyzer-flips because when I do get a good rip it will flatten out and fly perfectly straight with no fade and no right turn. When I don't get the perfect rip it will flatten out slightly and fade back left.

When I started getting too much flip out of my Avenger SS, I switched to a Champ. Monarch for a hyzer flip. You might also try a R-pro Boss if you are willing to drop down in weight.

Avenger SS (168g) was one of my first discs back when I didn't have enough power to turn it over. I could get some decent sky rollers out of it too.

Now its way too flippy for my arm unless I release with a big hyzer which still causes it to turn right the whole way. I do get a lot of distance out of it though but I get more out of the same shot with a champ Sidewinder.

Not much of a spot for the Avenger SS in my bag anymore.