• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!

cfair

* Ace Member *
Avengers_Busiek.jpg

So part of me just wanted to do that because of the movie but also because I want to make an Avenger thread. Is it a Teebird? Is it an Eagle? Is it a OLF or a PD? Is the SS a Leo?! I want to know more about the Avenger because I honestly believe the one mold in different plastics could cover a great many slots but I'm just not sure. Especially because it seems so many people seem to favor a really beat in Z Pred.

But give me your thoughts, history, and ideas on the Avenger. Because I want it to be able to cover my control driver slot.

Be sure to distinguish plastics you're talkind about and if it is the regular or SS. Because I don't know if I can really consider the SS a tweaked mold or a totally different one. Because I feel like the Surge SS is just slightly different than the Surge where the Avenger SS feels a lot more different than the Avenger.

Last edited:
I don't like it, I picked up a Z about the same time I picked up a PD and honestly I think it's inferior.

Less glide
Doesn't power down well
Not as stable as advertised at high speeds

I throw an ESP SS and would compare it to a TL, even though the Avenger is a bit flatter. I still haven't figured out how it can be put in the same category of "max distance" by Discraft when it has a much smaller wing. If the two were made by Innova they would be about speed 7 and speed 13 respectively... Which to me would be different categories. I wouldn't compare the SS to a Leopard though, because Leopards take an understable path, while the SS goes... super straight. Go figure.

My avenger is my go to distance driver. for me it flies like a longer teebird. when they beat in some they have a tl flight to them. some people try to compare them to a starfire.

as for the SS, they only fly straight if i put them on a hyper flip. if thrown flat, they will turn and finish that way unless there is enough height put under the disc.

I use my SS as my backhand roller disc.

later today i will take a photo of my avengers and post it

I don't like it, I picked up a Z about the same time I picked up a PD and honestly I think it's inferior.

Less glide
Doesn't power down well
Not as stable as advertised at high speeds

i don't think i have ever seen you say anything positive about any discraft disc.

i don't think i have ever seen you say anything positive about any discraft disc.

i probably have here and there. i do like some of DCs stuff, it's been in and out of my bag over time. i think the Surge is a really good driver but it's pretty much just a Wraith. i thought the flash was a solid driver when i had one but it also overlapped with my wraith when i threw it. the impact is a nice fairway for the first month then it just gets flippy and loses purpose.

the drone and comet are really good mids but again, i just prefer innova molds over those. the buzzz is just overrated and the zone skips to damn much for my liking.

i honestly think the avenger is a second rate PD and i'm probably not in the minority on that.

I throw both avengers. They are comfortable molds in my hand and while they aren't the fastest on the market they get good distance and I think power down nicely. I can take a Z Pred, Z Avenger, and Z AvengerSS to the course and be covered on every shot I need to make with a driver. I don't think you can truly compare diff disc molds but for me the Avenger is like a nice new and stable teebird but with more distance potential. The only difference being it's easier to keep a teebird straight before the fade and many avengers will turn slightly before fading back. The AvengerSS I guess is similar to a Leo but I like it better. I think it's more like a Vision from Lat64 but slightly slower.

A new one for me can take any angle I put it on. Hyzer flip it goes straight, thrown straight it has a nice gradual but big turn right, and thrown anny it will stretch out far before turning into the ground for a roller. It's the disc I have the most confidence in and reach for time and time again. I like aiming at the left of the fairway and watching it pan right the entire flight. I get the easiest distance out of that shot. I think an AvengerSS is the perfect first driver for many new players with slow arm speed.

Gotta have pics. Factory tyedye Avenger and Avenger SS I got in a trade on this site. A Z Pred came with them so the perfect trifecta.
245foqv.jpg

and my main throwing avenger ss the red one and the backup pink. I've lost the red a few times and went back to get it the next day. It's nice and beat but the plastic still looks brand new. Gotta love elite z.

wtzxif.jpg

Avengers are overstable at first, and once they wear in they are longer teebirds...I keep a new one for hyzer shots and a beat one for go to straight shots off the tee...my fav disc

I throw sidearm predominantly. I use a well beat-in Avenger anytime I need my drive to turn hard left. I guess you would call it a forehand anyhyzer. Works great for me on any serious dog leg left. Also my goto on low ceiling straight drives at or below 250.

If I throw it straight it goes very straight. I need a lot of open area for it to come back right. I just purchased a new one though and it flies more as advertised with a predictable right fade.

Was very excited they made a film about this disc.

looking forward to seeing it.

Have there ever been any changes with the disc? No mold changes and such? Or certain versions? I feel like there is some kind of interest in Crystal SS, but I don't know why I think that.

Used to throw the X Avenger quite frequently. Probably have about 5 fresh ones in my closet. The P-PD pretty much evicted them from the bag.

Tried a Z Avenger too, that didn't go so well.

As for the regular Avenger and its SS variant, as far as I'm concerned, they're two completely different discs. Discraft might as well have given the SS a different name.

Sweet collection. You should totally trade me one of your avengers so I have a backup to my flydye. :D

I will say this: If I had to pick one of the sickest logos on a disc it would be that Avenger logo. I remember I loved that stamp/logo when I first started out and I was more of a Discraft guy (now I throw all kinds, don't judge me). Funny thing is I never owned a Z Avenger.