• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Axiom Alias

Halcón

Free At Last
There is some discussion of this disc in other threads, but I figured it deserved its own spot.

I'm curious to see for myself how it compares to the Tangent and Axis.

Based on the early feedback from the testers, sounds like it'll be a nice complement to the tangent, especially for those of us that just never jived well with the Axis. I still pull it out every now and then and see how it works for me. But, quite honestly, I use an Atlas in this spot. Would love for the Alias to boot the Atlas from the bag to have another MVP thrower in there.

I found it compares to the Axis more than the Tangent. It will be flying more like a Buzz, pro Roc3, Axis, M3 type of disc rather than something more understable like a Tangent, Atlas, D Buzz, Fuze etc.

So does the Alias have a "normal" inner edge like Envy?

Yep.

Boom.

You can't see it in the photo, but there is a bit of swirl in the blue.

Haven't thrown it much yet, but I will say it feels closer in speed to the Tangent than the Axis. Likes some height to do its thing. I plan on taking it out for a good workout against the Axis later, so I'll report back with the initial results.

What do you mean "normal" inner edge? Did they push the overmold to the inside rim? Or by normal do you mean standard MVP inner rim?

I believe they are referring to the typical rounded inner rim on the Ion and Anode vs. the typical cornered inner rims you find on other manufacturers.

It took me 3 production axises and 2 first runs to finally jive with this disc. Now that i have, and i have a few cycled it's probably the most important disc in my bag. This probably won't be checked out by me unless someone else has one.

My Axis was my goto mid for a while but a few weeks ago I got a Neutron Tangent and my Vector is nice and beat in so they are covering most of my shots.

I've had 3 Axis and I didn't jive with the first two but I found a really domey pink one that I love. I'm hoping the Alias will be more like one of the domey pink Neutron Axis.

Disclaimer: Noodle arm with some OATishness creeping in lately. Your mileage may vary.

Raced the sunset tonight to get some field throws in with the Alias, and this thing was really perplexing at first. It took about 10 throws to really dial it in, which is often the case with a new MVP disc for me.

After about 15 or 20 throws with it, I realized what this disc is: An Axis in Tangent form.

What do I mean by that? It was running similar lines to the Axis for me, but it has a similar feel in the hand, and similar floatiness, if you will, to the Tangent. It grabbed onto whatever line I released it on, with a baby fade at the end. But man, when I had some OAT creep in, it did not appreciate it. I felt like the Axis was a hair more forgiving in that regard, but that's not a bad thing.

I think this will fit into the bags of people who are already throwing the Tangent, as it seems to complement that pretty well (from how my memory of the Tangent serves - I gave mine to my dad to let him try it out a while back). If you are an Axis loyalist - as I am, after many, many tries to get it to click - I am not sure it will fit. But it is going to be fun to find out.

I will say that the Axiom description of it being great for placement shots is spot on. It just wanted to sit down gently at the end, whereas I can get some skip out of the Axis sometimes.

I'm looking forward to getting a couple actual rounds in this weekend to see what it can really do.

Look at that beautiful rainbow stamp. That alone makes this disc worth purchasing. :D

I tested the 177g Alias against two of my trustiest discs; my N Tangent, and N Axis. The Alias feels more like the Tangent, and has a decent amount of glide for my noodly arm.

It's a bit shorter than the Axis, but the flight is very similar. Compared to the Tangent it's noticeably more stable. Where the Tangent wants to turn a bit on my drives, then fade gently back, the Alias is dead straight with a slight fade. I would say it has the same fade as the Axis, with maybe a small hint more HSS. But the Axis I threw is also seasoned a bit. So fresh out of the box these discs might be too close to call for throwers like me.

The Alias is basically a Tangent, that flies like an Axis. If that makes sense. It has the same distance as a Tangent, but follows the Axis' stability. I also remember my Tangent having less glide when it was new, so the Alias also wins by a small margin in that category.

It's a great, versatile disc. I was throwing some FH shots too, and it performed nicely. Smooooth, and able to handle a little OAT. I want to take this disc out for a one disc round, to see how it putts too.

The Alias would make a great addition to a player's bag who needs a shorter, go-to stable midrange with a seamless, comfortable grip.

i have found, after throwing fast mids as my main mids for a while, that i do prefer a slow midrange. it's easier and more accurate for me to throw those 70% shots instead of driving with a putter once things get above 270' or so. this disc is a good thing, but i'm not sure it will be in my bag. my proton tangents already have plenty enough HSS for my taste, though i haven't had time to break one in. they are just beautiful to watch fly and the wind really hasn't bothered me lately. when it does, i throw the vector. we will see, i guess.

As a committed Tangent thrower who has always gone light on midranges (despite occasional attempts to add a third mold), I'm torn about whether I should try an Alias out. Of course there's no harm in trying, but the list of possible third midranges to add to the overstable-neutral setup I've been sporting basically since day one is very long. I almost feel like a disc would have a better chance making the bag if it replaced one of my present molds than if it sat in between them.

Anyway, I'm torn, and the more I hear the more I'm torn, especially since I'm liking the looks of these. :D

As a committed Tangent thrower who has always gone light on midranges (despite occasional attempts to add a third mold), I'm torn about whether I should try an Alias out. Of course there's no harm in trying, but the list of possible third midranges to add to the overstable-neutral setup I've been sporting basically since day one is very long. I almost feel like a disc would have a better chance making the bag if it replaced one of my present molds than if it sat in between them. /QUOTE]

^ yeah, same. i'm pretty happy with my two midranges, though i haven't been able to get out to the courses where i need to throw a TRULY understable disc yet. if i find the tangent cannot do what i need it to do on those holes, then i'll probably dump it (sadly, because i haven't thrown a midrange this much a round since .. . . EVER) and throw a ______/fuse/vector combo. first candidate to try would definitely be the alias.

hopefully my tangent will beat in to where i need it before i need to use my fuse. i bet my lighter neutron will without a problem, but it's white so it won't be getting any work yet . . .

Get outta my head, dude. :thmbup:

You know, I purposely did not read your review so I wouldn't copy it. And I ended up copying you anyway. :D

It's pretty sweet though because it just solidifies what we were both thinking. :clap:

But man, when I had some OAT creep in, it did not appreciate it. I felt like the Axis was a hair more forgiving in that regard, but that's not a bad thing.

curious other tester thoughts on this^

By design the Alias should be less sensitive to oat.

It could have been issues with the rim more than OAT. I need a bit more time with it to really tell, but it felt like OAT to me.

Latest posts