• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

I may not be the most experienced Crave thrower, but after a month+ of casually testing a pair of neutrons and proton I can honestly say I'm starting to come around. To me, Craves are slightly slower, shorter, and straighter out of the box than Teebirds. As a TeeBird enthusiast I appreciate the similarities they share and also don't share. I like the flat profile and see their added value on shorter narrow fairways.

I find my Craves (6/4/-1/1.75) have a little turn to them at high speed, but a driver-like fade. the design is that of an overstable driver, but its a very small, thin, flat disc with a small rim width, that allows the disc to be turned over fairly easily with power but the shape of the disc brings it back as it slows. Overall still fades left more than likely. Its a little more unreliable to me than a TL. great line shaping ability, just not the bullet-nose STRAIGHT fairway disc I was hoping it was. I hope MVP / AXIOM can create a straight from start to finish disc. Like the Proxy, Atom, Alias, etc but in a TRUE Speed 7 disc :\

Last edited:
Teebird vs crave

1449788929665.jpg

TeeBird Dimensions:
Diameter: 21.1 cm
Height: 1.6 cm (dome?)
Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
Rim Width: 1.8 cm

Crave Dimensions:
Diameter: 21.1 cm
Height: 1.4 cm (flat?)
Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
Rim Width: 1.8 cm

A "real" crave should be literally a TB. Little fade when new and 0 HSS.

It is not a speed 6 mold and IMO the ones with turn off the shelf are why i quit bagging the crave. I talked a lot about my very trashed neutron which was the definition of straight/stable.

I have yet to throw an understable Crave. I have 3, with the lightest at 153 and the heaviest 166. The 153 has more wiggle, but is still pretty straight unless forced over. The 165 and 166 both are straight to fade, I would say 0, 1.5 on the Innova scale. My friend has a 172 that I have thrown a couple times that is one of the freaky stable ones I have heard about, closer to 0,3. I also had a 155 that got thrown twice before being lost to a river due to it coming out more stable than expected on the throw. Small sample size, but consistent enough for me to be the most reliable fairway I throw.

I have yet to throw an understable Crave. I have 3, with the lightest at 153 and the heaviest 166. The 153 has more wiggle, but is still pretty straight unless forced over. The 165 and 166 both are straight to fade, I would say 0, 1.5 on the Innova scale. My friend has a 172 that I have thrown a couple times that is one of the freaky stable ones I have heard about, closer to 0,3. I also had a 155 that got thrown twice before being lost to a river due to it coming out more stable than expected on the throw. Small sample size, but consistent enough for me to be the most reliable fairway I throw.

Yep, yep...

most rounds the crave is the only fairway driver i pull. i am leaning towards more neutral ish discs that i can manipulate with release and height rather than more molds. my crave will do almost anything i ask of it as long as the wind is not howling. i can never drop this mold especially for lower lines in the woods and the baby flex lines it can pull off. panning out of a high anny is so much fun with the crave.

most rounds the crave is the only fairway driver i pull. i am leaning towards more neutral ish discs that i can manipulate with release and height rather than more molds. my crave will do almost anything i ask of it as long as the wind is not howling. i can never drop this mold especially for lower lines in the woods and the baby flex lines it can pull off. panning out of a high anny is so much fun with the crave.

Currently the only MVP/Axiom fairway driver in my bag too, so I definitely hear ya.

..except you forgot beautiful sweeping hyzers. ;)

I've had 2 Ps, and they both turn some @ 325ish +. The one I bag off/on right now has pretty minimal turn, but because it locks in and holds even the tiniest flip forever, it makes a small issue a big one on certain long, tight lines. I'm trying to get comfortable with it, because it's capable of shots that almost nothing else can do. (The problem with this one is kind of my issue, too. It happens to fall across that line where, if I get a perfect hit, it turns a bit, but if I miss it a bit, it's mostly straight.)

I had another one that was white rim/clear core, and it would flip up significantly enough, like -2. I guess it was one of those freak US ones. And I could really bomb it. It seemed to be softer/gummier than the other P drivers I've had. Doing field work, I could sometimes hyzerflip it as far as any disc I was throwing at the time. It was basically a seasoned up Switch with even less fade. But because it was totally clear (in color,) I traded it away to save myself from having to always be looking for it on the course.

I also had a N one for a while that I lost. It was probably a true 0 for HSS. I didn't have it long enough to know how it was going to beat in.

You can turn the Crave...but you can easily avoid turning them too(smooth pull when powered up, release angle, yada yada). Such solid HSS that the only thing I fear is a headwind.

All the good Craves I've thrown have a very late turn but always fade back. It makes a great disc in the woods when you can trust its flight.

All the good Craves I've thrown have a very late turn but always fade back. It makes a great disc in the woods when you can trust its flight.

I'm trying to get there. I just think may wind up being a disc that's not going to work for me in this role.

I can already work woods lines like this with an Axis to like 300'. I always get into this thing with the Crave, where I feel like I have to power it down on tight line shots (to avoid the over-drift,) which makes it barely longer than that, and with more fade.

For me on full rips, it's not quite the same late turn you're describing. It leans into a turn earlier, and holds it for like 3/4 of the flight then lands flat, (or maybe that late-late gyro fade/dump which I love,) which is enough to cause problems on the narrow fairways.

Plus, the more I throw the Relay, I'm finding that it can do a lot of the same things, but at a more predictable (for my power-up vs. power-down) speed variance.

I don't mean to hate on the Crave. I think it's an awesome disc that I've been trying to force on myself for like 2 years, it's just flukey to my game that it doesn't seem to want to do me right. (But I haven't given up yet. I'm making myself throw it all the time on "player B" shots now where I'd ordinarily doubt it.)

Last edited:
Same here Toro. Crave is really good but i love my relay/volt combo.

Yeah, I actually hit up Nevin for 2 rounds this weekend, and tossed my Plasma Volt in the bag, and honestly it's more "Cravey" for me than the Crave, haha.

I kept forgetting it was in the bag, then remembering after a shot, and I had a couple of those classic 1025-rated "player B" shots with it.

I had to put my Volt back in the bag the other day. I finally got fed up with the Wrath I had(was more like an inertia). Man I am starting to miss the days of lower production-higher consistency...

Latest posts