• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back on the Road Again - Tour Stop #8 (Leicester, MA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Tour Stop #8
Leicester, MA
Vibram Open
"3533 miles!, Well worth it!"

We left Oregon and headed to Missoula, Montana to teach a clinic and play doubles at Blue Mountain Park. We had a great turnout and seeing my buddies from Montana was a blast! I forgot how beautiful Montana is. It is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the USA. Thank you to the Missoula club for making this happen!!

We decided to go to Yellowstone National Park, neither Synthya nor I had ever been there before. The park is huge and has so much to see. Our two favorite spots were the Ferry Falls lookout and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. I can see now why the park is so famous. I think we could spend a month at the park. Maybe we will get the chance when we are older.

Our next stop was Theodore Roosevelt National Park in South Dakota. I always stop here to get a view of the Badlands. It is some of the most unique land we have in the USA. It looks like a bunch of mountain size mushrooms covered in green grass and all I could see was magical disc golf greens. We moved on and headed to Blue Ribbon Pines DGC in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I had to show Synthya this course. Ray, the owner, has done so much to make it stand out above other courses. Words won't do it justice, just put it on your disc golf wish list.

After leaving Blue Ribbon Pines I headed home to Kalamazoo, MI to teach a clinic and host a "Challenge the Champ" at Cold Brook Park. I had 56 players come out on Father's Day with only one week notice. I hold the course record, won the worlds there, and learned to play at that park. It was surreal playing my real home course and it was so nice to see my locals. I shot -10 and nobody beat me. She is still my course. Thanks to Larry Labond and the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek Disc Golf Clubs for there support.

We left Michigan and drove to Massachusetts for the Vibram Open. Along the way our muffler broke and we got super lucky. I pulled into the Speedy and Sons in New York and after checking with the local dealerships he said the part we needed was obsolete. We were about to be in trouble and the manager popped up and said he would weld it, but with no guarantees. He did it and it looks like it will last. What a lucky break to keep us on the tour!

We arrived at Vibram 8 days after we left Oregon. Only 3533 miles between National Tour Events. We stayed right on the property at Steve Dodge's house, it was very convenient and we want to thank Steve for his hospitality and for running a great event. I played consistent but in the end I finished tied for 7th. Still in the top ten. Speaking of top tens, I hit an ace on hole three with a Lucid Enforcer during the final round and it made it on Sportscenter Top Ten (#2)! Then it went viral being shown on CBS and other networks. Even the PGA put it on there site and wrote an article. It was always one of my dreams to be on the ESPN Top Ten so thank you to DiscEye for capturing the ace and submitting it to ESPN.

During the event I leaned on my Mace, Stryker, and Sinuses. I am really starting to fall in love with the Opto Stryker. Since the mold was fixed it is my favorite straight fairway driver. Everyday I am getting closer to my top form. I am excited to head to Europe for the two Majors and the President's Cup. We headed to Newark to fly out, I am on the plane right now! Next Stop Sweden!

Last edited:
Was at the Coldbrook clinic. It was really cool to have Dave there to do that on his was to MHO. Thanks Dave, hope you do well in Europe.

Dave mentions the Opto "Stryker" mold has been fixed. I haven't been on DGCR much lately. Can anybody point me toward more information? Believe it or not, I did try a few searches containing both "Striker" and "Stryker" as key terms.

Great write up! As always, I definitely enjoyed watching you play in my neck of the woods. Congrats on the ace and making the top 10! That was sick, I had to have watching it about a dozen times. Big Jerm's reaction was priceless. Great performance at the MHO man.

Dave mentions the Opto "Stryker" mold has been fixed. I haven't been on DGCR much lately. Can anybody point me toward more information? Believe it or not, I did try a few searches containing both "Striker" and "Stryker" as key terms.

This. I havent thrown the striker in a long time, but I remember wishing I like it as it felt better in my hand than the saint

This. I havent thrown the striker in a long time, but I remember wishing I like it as it felt better in my hand than the saint

I was thinking the same thing. It's definitely not a mold you hear very much about.

I was thinking the same thing. It's definitely not a mold you hear very much about.
It used to be fairly popular and helped propel lat64 into the forefront.. Problem with it was consistency.. Weight, dome, color.... There was no clear indication how stable they were before throwing them other than finding the opto 'snowflake' molding side effect

Dave,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Yeah- yellowstone has a special place in my heart too.

When is the next in the bag?

I have recently been field testing your signature disc and am digging it.

Your thoughts on its design, purpose, slot in the bag, etc.?

Would love to see this disc in a softer plastic like tourney/biofusion.

Good luck in Europe!

Ordered a misprint Striker for cheap. We shall see.

Great write up. I sure wish I would have know you were at BRP! I would have enjoyed seeing and maybe playing with you. Give us up here a shout out next time you are in the area.
Good Luck

The Striker mold was amazing back in 09-11, but for some reason from mid 11-14 it got a little weird. much more turn than what it had before. No real reason why, maybe cooling, maybe plastics used, not sure. They have ironed out those bugs now and the newest ones, while they aren't quite the Snowflakes, are very close. I too have put the mold back in my bag after a 2.5 year hiatus from it. Makes me very happy.

I attended the clinic and beat the champ, and I was very honored to be one of those guys in the video. Unfortunately, not many of my shots were used, it was a rough day since I had never played the course and was on very low sleep, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks Dave!

What's beat the champ?

I hope feldberg and wysocki do a clinic in delware when they come. Ie never met a top touring pro. But I'll be caddying for a friend so really hoping to get on the same card!

Beat the Champ was when Dave was at Coldbrook DGC in Michigan & put the locals to the test.
He cut his teeth at that course & was Worlds champion there in 2008.
Before the single round or 19 holes (had to improvise because the park closed off 5 of the 24 holes for picnics) Dave did a clinic on backhand driving. It was really great to have him there & hope he will do it again some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts