• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Distance Progression Instructional Video Idea Thread

Noahlearner,

This entire project is going to take a long time, but maybe in the meantime I can try to upload new slow motion footage with overhead views etc.

It's further complicated by the fact that there's no real "one way" to throw - there is a narrow range, but still, it's a range. Some players have higher pull lines, different grips, use their hips differently, have a hop instead of a true x-step, look at the target before the hit or never look at the target until afterwards. For example you bend your arm in your reach-back, others do not.

This is true yes, but kind of misses what really generates power and accuracy. Most high level players have essentially the same mechanics past a certain point. The "hit" and the moments just preceding it are almost universal, in that there is very little variation in the actual mechanics of it. The hugely varied amount of run ups and hops and what not just highlight how similar all the guys at the top throw past a certain point in their motion.

I'm not saying that legwork isn't important, but everything culminates into the moments just prior to and including the "hit". That's why so much emphasis is placed on the "hit". I want to point this out because it seems to be the thing people worry about the least.

This is true yes, but kind of misses what really generates power and accuracy. Most high level players have essentially the same mechanics past a certain point. The "hit" and the moments just preceding it are almost universal, in that there is very little variation in the actual mechanics of it.

I know that. But at the same time, grips aren't even the same. Pull lines aren't the same. Release points aren't the same.

At 300 FPS a video showing "the hit" would last about four frames. There wouldn't be much point in that.

It gets even goofier when you realize that it's quite possible to have exactly the same mechanics, but move your hand 50% slower. At the end of the day, the actual "hand speed" is important in throwing for distance, too. And that's where you have to fall back to the whole motion again. The best technique in the world in those four frames aren't going to make up for an utter lack of hand speed (finger speed, wrist speed, arm speed - whatever you want to call it).

Hi Mike, I love watching your videos. I am often wishing however that I can see more of your body in approach, run up and at hit. It seems like you usually frame shot so we can see from waistish up and only when disc is all the way back of your pull, I want to see slow mo of your whole run up and what you are doing with all your body so I can see how your hips are leading etc,my 2 cents

I agree with this Mike. Even thought it'll take a while to put together the whole thing the next time you're recording you should just record your drive and put it up in normal speed and slow motion. That alone would be cool to see.

+1 to HUB's suggestion of getting an overhead angle. Very tough to find.

It gets even goofier when you realize that it's quite possible to have exactly the same mechanics, but move your hand 50% slower. At the end of the day, the actual "hand speed" is important in throwing for distance, too. And that's where you have to fall back to the whole motion again. The best technique in the world in those four frames aren't going to make up for an utter lack of hand speed (finger speed, wrist speed, arm speed - whatever you want to call it).

Are you talking about tendon bounce? Your hand speed should be generated by everything leading up to that point, which would be mechanics. I would think that two throws of the same mechanics, could have different results based on the amount of spin produced...

This video is great! Within the past 2 months I really had an "ah ha" moment doing field work. I didn't throw much in the field prior and was getting decent distance 330ish max. I went to a field and was just experimenting with more focus on reach back,loose arm until rapid acceleration and follow through. Before this, I had a lot of fast unnecessary movement movement in my xstep. Your video really explains well what I feel was a definite ah ha moment for me. I am now consistantly hitting 400+ft and have been accurate for the most part. I am seeing my discs do more of what they were designed to do and I feel my game has risen to another level. I wish I would have seen this a while ago .

I would agree that having multiple skill ranges would be nice, but try not to cluster it to much. I would also like to say that having someone in your video that can throw around 400-450' would be nice.I know that I could use some advice breaking the 400' barrier.

I agree with this Mike. Even thought it'll take a while to put together the whole thing the next time you're recording you should just record your drive and put it up in normal speed and slow motion. That alone would be cool to see.

Add me to the list that would like to see your full range of motion in your drives.

I think there are a lot of us that could learn a lot just from watching your form.