• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Distance Tips

the jumpiness was due to having to cut out random sections depending on how bad the wind was. So when I say "And this relates to late acceleration..." I was actually int he middle of a sentence at that point :p

P.S. I know you are going to include this but I feel compelled to write it.

Pease emphasize the importance of the follow through. The way we release the disc includes a follow through. I find that an important point, just a thought.

Take care and thanks again.

Will do, and thanks for the feedback. Here's a list of stuff I'm going to cover in the re-done BH video (Or series of videos most likely, seeing at the list includes a lot of material).

1. Defining OAT, showing what it does and discussing how to eliminate it.
2. Discussing late acceleration / snap / the hit
3. Pulling in a straight line not around the body, keeping the disc on the same plane while pulling through.
4. Rotating the entire body to generate power and discussing leading with the legs, hips and shoulders.
5. Footwork. X-step examples, follow through etc.
6. Grip and proper wrist alignment.
7. Keeping disc close to chest on the pull through.
8. Weight forward
9. Follow through in general. Discussing why it's important to avoid injury and how to follow through on the same plane of the throw.
10. Some random little tips like keeping your off hand off the disc.
11. How to power down your throwing form. Using less body rotation, throwing from a standstill etc.
12. Mention something about how other forms like the Swedish style of throwing will have some variations in the technique but generally the fundamentals are all the same.
13. Aiming with your body.
14. Working from the HIT back to develop your throw, recommending starting at a standstill and focusing on feeling the snap etc.
15. Possibly include a section on how to throw hyzer and anhyzer...maybe save this for another video.

I plan to show each specific technique, explain what it does and how it relates to the entire throwing motion, and show what that part looks like when done correctly VS when done incorrectly.

Cool!

I know this may sound trivial, but having common knowledge of the terms of disc flight may help. You are helping people learn. They may not realize what an anhyzer release is or what the disc is doing if it flips.

...and what a stable disc does vs. under stable.

I like what you are doing and the style you are doing it. Little things like #10, you are obviously a good teacher.

You know what you need Mike? Someone who is terrible to test out your teachings.

I might know someone. :|

The backhand vid actually helped me and I got to try some of the changes to my form today and saw more accurate drives with good distance only doing a walk up x step instead of my old run up. Thanks for the vid and keep up the good work. Josh

the jumpiness was due to having to cut out random sections depending on how bad the wind was. So when I say "And this relates to late acceleration..." I was actually int he middle of a sentence at that point :p

Will do, and thanks for the feedback. Here's a list of stuff I'm going to cover in the re-done BH video (Or series of videos most likely, seeing at the list includes a lot of material).

1. Defining OAT, showing what it does and discussing how to eliminate it.
2. Discussing late acceleration / snap / the hit
3. Pulling in a straight line not around the body, keeping the disc on the same plane while pulling through.
4. Rotating the entire body to generate power and discussing leading with the legs, hips and shoulders.
5. Footwork. X-step examples, follow through etc.
6. Grip and proper wrist alignment.
7. Keeping disc close to chest on the pull through.
8. Weight forward
9. Follow through in general. Discussing why it's important to avoid injury and how to follow through on the same plane of the throw.
10. Some random little tips like keeping your off hand off the disc.
11. How to power down your throwing form. Using less body rotation, throwing from a standstill etc.
12. Mention something about how other forms like the Swedish style of throwing will have some variations in the technique but generally the fundamentals are all the same.
13. Aiming with your body.
14. Working from the HIT back to develop your throw, recommending starting at a standstill and focusing on feeling the snap etc.
15. Possibly include a section on how to throw hyzer and anhyzer...maybe save this for another video.

I plan to show each specific technique, explain what it does and how it relates to the entire throwing motion, and show what that part looks like when done correctly VS when done incorrectly.

I'd be interested in the video that explains 4 and 5 in particular. I have trouble coordinating these movements and the sequence too. Could u also touch on the plant, as in where and when that happens? Thanks for making these--I'm sure they'll help a lot of people.

In your video you say to keep the pad of your index finger over the rim of the disc. When you are actually going to throw the disc does the pad still stay above the disc? I feel like if you did that it would lessen your grip tremendously. If you could maybe take some close up pics so I could see exactly how it should be held that would be awesome :)

Thanks so much for these vids.

Great job Mike! I'm gonna try out some of the tips you talked about in some of your vids when I go play a friendly round tomorrow with my cousin and his daughter.
I watched all the vids you've got posted on YouTube, and was wondering if you could do a BH roller vid, as that's something I'd like to learn. The only time Ive thrown a BH roller was a mistake....my group just finished our local clubs year end tag round, and I threw my moderately beat star roadrunner as hard as I could (strong-armed and OATed it). It flew maybe 200' in the air, then proceeded to roll another 200', in a fairly straight line. If I could learn to do this purposefully, it couldn't hurt!

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes on your YouTube page, and great work again!

Mike/who-dat

Great videos! I think one of the main problems with people getting distance is that they over-think it too much. There is a TON of information out there, and I personally had to unlearn some of the stuff that I thought I knew. Keeping it simple and straight forward is a great approach, and lends itself to quick learning.

I'm excited to see how these progress.

In your video you say to keep the pad of your index finger over the rim of the disc. When you are actually going to throw the disc does the pad still stay above the disc? I feel like if you did that it would lessen your grip tremendously. If you could maybe take some close up pics so I could see exactly how it should be held that would be awesome :)

Thanks so much for these vids.

Yeah that base knuckle of the index finger always stays above the disc, which helps force nose down. I think that's what you're asking anyways. Here are two videos from yesterday that touch on that more directly.

Then here's some 60 fps slo-mo drives where you can see I have the disc orientated like I do in the grip video.

I was wondering if you could do a BH roller vid, as that's something I'd like to learn.

I'll keep that on the agenda for when there isn't 30mph swirling winds and 6 inches of snow :)

Yeah that base knuckle of the index finger always stays above the disc, which helps force nose down. I think that's what you're asking anyways. Here are two videos from yesterday that touch on that more directly.

Then here's some 60 fps slo-mo drives where you can see I have the disc orientated like I do in the grip video.

I'll keep that on the agenda for when there isn't 30mph swirling winds and 6 inches of snow :)

You are the man! I was totally doing it wrong, I feel like I am going to add 50 feet on my next right now. Why isnt it saturday yet!?!?

Thanks for the vids mike! Even with the wind in the background they are the most instructive dg videos I have watched! That is saying alot since you had to cut your videos down and they were relatively short. Would you be willing to do a video on putting and all the different putting styles?...I am going to go subscribe now! Thanks again Mike!

Hey-- based on your video, I was holding the disc wrong-- just went and tried the new grip in my yard. I spent 10min looking for the disc in the bushes. I got another 10ft and didn't throw hard.... Thanks for the tip!