• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand help

Vonbeezy1

Banned
Let me start of by saying I'm new to the forums and I'm sure there are 100 other postings that are asking for backhand help. I'm sure you can search for them but I just don't know how so here it goes.

I have been playing for 1.5 years and was mainly a rhfh guy until I started developing a rhbh. When I'm playing hot, ill tie the local guy who's over 1000 rated or get real close but when I am bad I will shoot a 900 score. I can consistently throw about 350 to 400 feet fh so I do not need help there unless you know a better technique for more distance than that. I can throw rhbh about 400 feet on my best drives but usually about 300-325. I am having trouble figuring out the perfect grip and where the Disc sits in my hand. I also cannot figure out how to throw across my body instead I Roundhouse sometimes. And I do not turn my waist went doing backhand like all the top level players do, so I feel like if I can get my hips turned I can probably throw 500, maybe it's just me. I also am having trouble throwing putters and midranges because I cannot figure out how to throw with the Fan grip and how to turn my body correctly. Yes I have practiced 100 times but I still cannot figure it out. Can anyone give me any advice or give me links to great videos that will show me how to do them correctly. And yes I have watched videos online but I must not be watching the right ones.

Slow down, take a deep breath and don't forget its going to take practice. One hundred times is not enough practice. Go to the field with a camera or a friend, make an effort to change what you know is wrong. You've identified multiple problems in your own form already--work on that first. Hit the field with putters and midranges, maybe try standstill throws and focusing on getting those hips turned. Focus on your pull through being flat and level, on the same plane the entire way, and as close to your chest as you can get.

Fool around with different grips. Focus on pinching your thumb and forefinger together on power grips, then maybe focus on getting a rip off all four fingers, see what feels better, what produces results. For your mids and putters, try the power grip or just something that feels more comfortable than what you're doing now.

Read some of these articles on technique: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/

Go to the field and practice them, film them, bring the footage here and ask other people to help review it. Review it yourself. Re-read the articles. Rinse. Repeat. Throw your arm off. Glue it back on, and keep at it!

How do you spin on the heel at the end?
As pros like Gurthie and Feldberg describe to do at the end of the throw.
I mean to pivot on the leading heel at release.
What I don't understand is how a forward momentum
can come to a stop on the heel, which then is spun upon?

How do you spin on the heel at the end?
As pros like Gurthie and Feldberg describe to do at the end of the throw.
I mean to pivot on the leading heel at release.
What I don't understand is how a forward momentum
can come to a stop on the heel, which then is spun upon?
It doesn't spin, the pressure rolls to a different contact point as momentum is transferred and redirected. Sit in a swivel chair with your toes up and roll your heels to swivel back and forth.

Not all pro's do a heel spin, some forefoot spin, I think it's more of what's natural for your body thing IMO.

I see some people use an exaggerated heel spin like that. Most use a flatter heel spin, or just slightly have the front of the shoe off the ground. Still....keeping the majority of the pivot on the heel. One easy way to work on this is to just practice your throw bare footed on concrete. You'll now right away if you're toe pivoting because chances are it will hurt like hell as your foot digs in and tries to slide on the concrete. ;) ouch....